Clear80° WeatherClear80° Weather

North Korea threatens South with military action

NORTH KOREA

THREAT issued against south korea

North Korea's military warned Monday of imminent "special actions" that would reduce South Korea's conservative government to ashes within minutes, sharply escalating the rhetoric against its southern rival. The threat from the North's military leadership comes amid concerns that North Korea may be plotting another provocation in the wake of an unsuccessful rocket launch condemned by the U.N. Security Council as a violation of a ban against missile activity. U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki Moon warned North Korea against "further provocative measures," telling reporters in New York late Monday that such actions "will not be desirable for the peace and stability of the Korean peninsula." The Defense Ministry in Seoul stuck to its policy of not reacting.

Egypt

U.S. nonprofits are denied licenses

Egyptian authorities have denied permission to eight American nonprofit groups to operate in the country, including a center headed by former President Jimmy Carter that monitors elections, a Social Affairs Ministry official said Monday.

The move to deny permission to the Carter Center and others comes a month ahead of Egypt's first presidential elections since the ouster of Hosni Mubarak last year. The rejection of Carter's organization, which tries to ensure free and fair elections by observing votes around the world, raises doubts about whether Egypt's crucial ballot will be transparent. Some of the others are linked to U.S.-based churches.

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich.

Twins born after mom stays on respirator

In a rare procedure, a woman declared brain dead from aneurysms was kept on a respirator for a month to allow for the development of twin boys who were born prematurely at 25 weeks, a western Michigan hospital said Monday.

Nicholas and Alexander Bolden weighed less than 2 pounds when they were born by cesarean section on April 5 and remain on ventilators at Helen DeVos Children's Hospital, a spokesman said.

Elsewhere

NEW YORK: A new search for remains of Etan Patz, the 6-year-old boy whose disappearance from a New York street 33 years ago put the plight of missing and abducted children under a national spotlight, ended Monday with nothing found and his fate still unresolved.

Times wires

North Korea threatens South with military action 04/24/12 [Last modified: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 12:31am]

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...