Some local offices closed on Monday
Many government offices and other services will be closed Monday for Washington's Birthday.
• Federal offices, including post offices, will be closed.
• With the exception of Safety Harbor, city government offices in North Pinellas will be closed.
• All libraries will be closed.
• All Pinellas County government offices will be closed.
• Heritage Village, the Environmental Education Center at Brooker Creek Preserve and the Cultural and Natural History Center at Weedon Island Preserve will be closed. County parks and preserves will be open.
• Pinellas County Animal Services will open from 9 a.m. to noon.
• Residential garbage pickup will not be affected in any North Pinellas cities.
Audition to be a Florida cougar
A group called "Cougars of Clearwater" made a 2010 calendar spotlighting local women ages 40 to 60. They sold 900 calendars and raised $11,000 for the Clearwater Marine Aquarium. This time, they're holding auditions for a 2012 calendar to be called "Cougars of Florida" to raise money for Big Cat Rescue, a nonprofit exotic animal sanctuary in northwest Hillsborough County. It will be open to women from the entire Tampa Bay area. E-mail photos to organizer Kathleen Slaven at email@example.com.
Human Society seeks volunteers
The Humane Society of Pinellas, 3040 State Road 590, is looking for adult volunteers to serve on a visitation team with "Canine Good Citizen evaluated dogs" to educate youth in south county domestic violence shelters. Training is required. The group also needs kitten foster parents and feline socialization, canine training or substitute adoption center assistants. There will be an information session on March 5. For more information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (727) 797-7722, ext. 237.
Learn to make crafts from shells
The Clearwater Beach Library will host a shell-crafting class Tuesday. Longtime beach resident Anne Garris will instruct the audience on how to make shell crafts during the free program, which starts at 1:30 p.m. The library is at 69 Bay Esplanade. For more information, call (727) 562-4970.