Occupy protest slated for Kmart lot
An Occupy Hernando County rally is being planned from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Oct. 29 at the former Kmart parking lot at 2468 Commercial Way.
For details, call Brian Moore at (352) 686-9936 or Joe Lemieux at (352) 686-9203.
AARP Driver Safety classes in November
The AARP Driver Safety Program will offer the following classes in November:
• Noon to 3 p.m. Nov. 1 and 3, Forest Oaks Lutheran Church, 8555 Forest Oaks Blvd., Spring Hill. Call (352) 797-7497 to register.
• 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nov. 2 and 9, Brooksville Enrichment Center, Suite 120, Medical Arts Building, Brooksville Regional Hospital, 17222 Hospital Road, west of Brooksville. Call (352) 688-2486 to register.
• 9 a.m. to noon Nov. 7 and 9, Hernando County Mining Association Enrichment Center, 800 John Gary Grubbs Blvd., Brooksville. Call (352) 799-3370 to register.
• 9 a.m. to noon Nov. 11 and 18, Holy Cross Lutheran Church, 6193 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill. Call (352) 596-9193 to register.
• 1 to 4 p.m. Nov. 17 and 18, Spring Lake Community Center, 4184 Spring Lake Highway, Spring Lake. Call (352) 797-6313 to register.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 19, Brookridge Clubhouse, 8150 Hampton St., Brookridge. Call (352) 666-9509 to register.
The course is six hours and costs $12 for AARP members and $14 for nonmembers (members must bring their AARP cards). Throughout November, veterans and spouses can take the class at no cost. Contact class instructors at the numbers above for details.
County offers six-class dog training program
The Hernando County Recreation Department will offer dog training classes at Rotary Centennial Park, 10375 Sandlor St. Two courses will be offered: 11 a.m. Tuesdays, Oct. 25 to Dec. 6, or 8:30 a.m. Saturdays, Oct. 29 to Dec. 10.
This is a six-class program (no classes during the week of Thanksgiving), conducted by an instructor with Dog Gone Solutions.
The cost is $110. Preregistration is required. Call (352) 754-4031 or (727) 841-7297, or visit doggonesolutions.com.
Animal Services lowers adoption fees
As part of Adopt a Shelter Pet Month, Hernando County Animal Services has reduced the adoption fee for all dogs and cats to $20 (plus a $15 refundable sterilization deposit for intact pets) through the end of October.
The shelter, at 19450 Oliver St., is open from 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Mondays and from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday through Friday. Visit the website at hernandocounty.us/code/animal/adopt.asp or call (352) 796-5062.
Event raises funds for Bike MS Tour riders
A fundraiser for Team Noble Riders, which will participate in the two-day Bike MS Tour: 2012, will be from 7 to 9 p.m. Nov. 4 at Strong Tower Vineyards, 17810 Forge Drive.
The event will include a light buffet and wine tasting. Several prizes will be raffled, including a round of golf at the Kissimmee Golf Club.
Tickets are $15 in advance, $20 at the door. Call (813) 421-4538 or send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Club has a variety of firearms classes
The Hernando Sportsman's Club will offer the following classes at its facility at 16121 Commercial Way, north of Weeki Wachee:
• Firearms safety class, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Nov. 2. Includes the basics of firearm safety around the home, and the fundamentals of pistol shooting. There will also be practice time on the range. Completion of this class provides the required documentation to apply for a Florida concealed carry permit. The cost is $50. Another class will be offered Nov. 19.
• NRA basic instructor training, 4 to 10 p.m. Nov. 4. Instructor candidates must possess and demonstrate a solid background in firearm safety and shooting skills, and be intimately familiar with each action type in the discipline for which they wish to be certified. The training includes NRA policies and procedures, basic public speaking skills, training methodology, use of a training team and training aids, organizing a course, building a budget and preparing to teach. The cost is $100, which includes a copy of the NRA trainer's guidebook.
• NRA rifle instructor course, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 5 and 12. This is a two-day course in which students learn to teach safe gun handling, ammunition knowledge, the fundamentals of rifle shooting and how to improve the performance of beginning rifle shooters. Candidates must pass an exam with a score of at least 90 percent, and receive endorsement of the training counselor for certification. Prerequisites include completion of both the basic rifle and basic instructor training classes; the BIT training must have been completed within the past two years. The cost is $300.
All class sizes are limited, and preregistration is required. Call (352) 597-9931.
Art classes for all levels at center
A continuing art series of classes will be offered from 1 to 4 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, starting Nov. 1, at the Hernando County Mining Association Enrichment Center, 800 John Gary Grubbs Blvd.
• Still Life classes, in charcoal, will be on Tuesdays. The course includes an introduction to charcoal drawing, drawing techniques and various art exercises.
• Landscape classes, using charcoal, will be on Thursdays. The course offers an introduction to perspective drawing, various drawing techniques and some outdoor drawing (weather permitting).
Students of all levels are welcome. The cost for each class is $60 for enrichment center members and $75 for nonmembers. Basic art supplies are included. Class size is 12 students.
For information or to register for a class, contact Mairead Colbath at email@example.com, or call (352) 544-5900.
Workshops ease holiday bereavement
Free 90-minute holiday bereavement workshops will be offered from 3 to 4:30 p.m. Nov. 3 and again on Dec. 13 at HPH Hospice, 12260 Cortez Blvd.
The workshops, led by an HPH Hospice bereavement counselor, will provide tips on coping with grief during the holiday season.
Preregistration is requested. Call toll-free 1-800-486-8784. Visit the website at hph-hospice.org.
Pioneer Day Festival is at center Nov. 5
The 16th annual Pioneer Day Festival will be from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 5 at Chinsegut Conservation Center, 23212 Lake Lindsey Road, north of Brooksville.
The event, hosted by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, will include pioneer demonstrations, games, crafts and various family activities. Food will be available from Cut Away Cafe. Music will be provided by the Dynamite Dulcimites and the Hernando County Sharecroppers.
Admission to the event is free. Parking will be off-site at the Withlacoochee Training Center, 240 Childs Road (off U.S. 41, 2 miles north of Lake Lindsey Road). Bus transportation will be provided to and from the event.
For information, call (352) 754-6722.
Church to hold yard sale on grounds
Mariner United Methodist Church will have a yard sale from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nov. 4 and 5 on church grounds, 7079 Mariner Blvd.
A variety of items will be sold, including Christmas and boutique items, jewelry, books, clothing, shoes, purses, linens, household items, toys, furniture and more. Hot dogs, sausages, doughnuts, drinks and baked goods will also be available.
For information, call (352) 596-0080.
Veterans Day dance will rock clubhouse
Brookridge Social Dance will host a Veterans Day dance from 7:30 to 10:30 p.m. Nov. 5 at the Brookridge Clubhouse, 8150 Hampton St.
Music will be provided by Short Notice Duo. Guests may bring their own refreshments; ice and coffee will be provided. Dunkin' Donuts will be served at about 9:30 p.m., following a 50/50 raffle.
Tickets are $5. Call Dot at (352) 597-0723.
VFW Ladies Auxiliary raffle, auction Nov. 12
The Ladies Auxiliary of Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 9236 will host a raffle and auction at 1 p.m. Nov. 12 at the post, 3435 Shoal Line Blvd. Doors open at 11 a.m.
Tickets are 20 for $5. Numerous raffle prizes will be awarded. The event will also include a live auction for items of greater value. All prizes are new.
Complimentary refreshments will be served.
This is the auxiliary's main fundraiser, to continue the group's support of veterans and their families, as well as community contributions. For information, call Nancy at (352) 688-7122.
Yard sale will benefit nonprofit clinic
Crescent Community Clinic's yard sale fundraiser will be from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Oct. 29 at Winchester Plaza, 5244 Commercial Way.
Vendor spaces are $25 and are available for crafters, musicians, artists and others; tables are an additional $10 while supplies last.
The clinic is also accepting donations for the sale, including household items, furniture, working appliances, clothing and kitchen items.
The clinic is a nonprofit organization that provides free medical and dental care to low- or no-income adults without medical insurance.
Send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com, or visit Crescent Community Clinic on Facebook.
Stage West presents casting workshop
Stage West Community Playhouse, 8390 Forest Oaks Blvd., will offer a casting workshop with Hollywood casting director Jane Jenkins from 3 to 6 p.m. Nov. 5.
The workshop is open to actors ages 7 to 70.
Jenkins is known for discovering Julia Roberts and casting actors for movies such as Harry Potter, Godfather II, When Harry Met Sally, Transformers, A Beautiful Mind and others. She will share behind-the-scenes secrets on how to get a job in the movies.
Participants will each present either a 1-minute monologue or 2-minute scene (three actors maximum).
The cost is $25 for Stage West members and $35 for nonmembers. Observers are welcome for $25.
This is a fundraising event for Stage West. Proceeds will help sustain the local community theater. For information or to reserve a spot, call (352) 683-5113 or send e-mail to Morgan Reid at firstname.lastname@example.org.