Officials say 50-Acre brush fire is arson
Arson caused Monday's 50-acre brush fire near State Road 52 and Moon Lake Road, the state Division of Forestry said Tuesday. Investigators provided no details. The blaze was 90 percent contained by Tuesday. The fire damaged no homes at the nearby Veranda subdivision, but the smoldering of a dry marsh will produce "skunking," a pungent smell that could linger for a week, said Don Ruths, said division spokesman. "It's a spongy muck-like organic material that burns, but burns very slowly," Ruths said. "It can break through the surface in different places, and it produces this acrid smelling smoke." Because of dry conditions, a countywide burn ban was put into place Tuesday and will continue until further notice.
the wounding of Pedro Alvarez, 25. Alvarez and his wife and son were driving south on Julian Street near Gaddis Street about 10:30 p.m. Feb. 10 when they saw Rivera firing a gun, according to a report from the Pasco County Sheriff's Office. Alvarez got out of the car and confronted Rivera, and Rivera shot him three times in his arms and once in the back, authorities said. Alvarez, of 14852 Roscoe St., was hospitalized, but his wife and son were not hurt. Rivera, of 38755 Chapman St., was held Tuesday in lieu of $250,000 bail at the Land O'Lakes Jail.
Teen runaway shoots self in leg
Pasco authorities were investigating a self-inflicted shooting Tuesday morning of a 16-year-old runaway. He was shot in the right leg with a .357 Magnum. The shooting occurred at 5:30 a.m. at Hicks Road and Boland Avenue and has been classified as accidental, the Pasco County Sheriff's Office said. The boy's identity and further details were unavailable.
Boil-water notice in Beacon Woods
Residents of 60 homes in the Beacon Woods subdivision have been notified to boil their drinking water until further notice from the county Utilities Department — probably this afternoon. Water service was interrupted for five hours on Monday when a work crew laying wire for Withlacoochee River Electric Cooperative accidentally severed a 12-inch water main, said Mike Helfrich, director of operation and maintenance for the Utilities Department. After the pipe was repaired, the county flushed the water lines and hung notices on doorknobs that residents should boil their drinking water to kill bacteria. After a second sample testing today, county officials expect to use the same notification method to give the all clear.
Detailed obituaries are published in Section B.