Plants and markets
• Longleaf Farmers Market, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays in downtown Longleaf, off Starkey Boulevard and State Road 54, New Port Richey.
• Fresh Market at Wiregrass, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. the first Saturday of each month at the Shops at Wiregrass, 28211 Paseo Drive, Wesley Chapel. Features produce, Florida-grown plants and locally made jams, salsas, seasonings and sauces, plus the works of local artists. For information visit tampabaymarkets.com.
• The Market, featuring plants and other gardening goods, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. June 30 and every other Saturday at West Pasco Habitat for Humanity, 4131 Madison St., New Port Richey. Call (727) 859-9038 or search for West Pasco Habitat for Humanity ReStore on Facebook.
• Hernando County Farmers Market, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturdays at 2450 U.S. 19, Spring Hill.
• Spring Hill Garden Club's Plant Nursery, 9 a.m. to noon Saturdays and Mondays at 1489 Parker Ave., off Spring Hill Drive (four-tenths of a mile from U.S. 19). Local plants are for sale, and people may also visit the nearby Nature Coast Botanical Gardens.
• Sweetwater Sunday Market, noon to 4 p.m. Sundays at Sweetwater Organic Community Farm, Hanley Road and Comanche Avenue, Tampa. Includes native plants, fresh organic produce and products from green vendors and artisans. Live music from 1 to 3 p.m.; open mic from noon to 1 p.m. and 3 to 4 p.m.
• Plants & Bugs Day Camp for Kids, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Aug. 7-10 at the Hernando County Extension Office, 1653 Blaise Drive, Brooksville. This is a hands-on, going-outside-and-getting-dirty approach to learning about things that grow and things that crawl. Learn about good bugs and bad, veggies and weeds. For information, call Hernando Cooperative Extension Services at (352) 754-4433.
• Landscape Alternatives to Grass, 10:30 a.m. Aug. 8 at Spring Hill Branch Library, 9220 Spring Hill Dr., Spring Hill. Learn which ground covers and landscape plants which might be a great replacement for turf in your yard. For information, call Hernando Cooperative Extension Services at (352) 754-4433.
• Propagation: Starting New Plants from Seeds and Division, 9 to 11 a.m. Aug. 11 at the Land O'Lakes Community Center, 5401 Land O'Lakes Blvd. (U.S. 41). Plant propagation can be a fun and easy way to increase the plants in the landscape. Pasco Extension master gardeners will provide free tips on tried and true methods of seed starting and dividing plants. To register, visit pasco.ifas.ufl.edu and find the event under "Events Calendar." For information, call Pasco County Cooperative Extension at (352) 518-0156.
Guided tours of the Nature Coast Botanical Gardens, 1489 Parker Ave. in Spring Hill, off Spring Hill Drive, are available for groups of five or more between 9 a.m. and noon on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays. The grounds include 23 themed gardens, including the Rose Garden, Asian Garden, Memorial Garden and Butterfly Garden. Tours last about one hour and are free of charge; however, donations are appreciated.
Reservations are required. Call (352) 683-9933.
The gardens are maintained by the Spring Hill Garden Club, a nonprofit organization. The club's plant nursery, located adjacent to the botanical gardens, is open to the public 9 a.m. to noon on Mondays and Saturdays. Plants that grow well in this area are available at reasonable prices.
For information, call (352) 683-9933 or visit naturecoast gardens.com.