School Board plans town hall meetings
The Pasco School Board will hold four town hall meetings, beginning Wednesday, to present plans for the 2013-14 budget and receive input from students, parents and other interested parties. None of the in-person meetings will be held east of Trinity, as the two board members representing central and eastern Pasco have chosen to hold their session online. The schedule is:
• Wednesday: Seven Springs Middle School cafeteria, 2441 Little Road, Trinity.
• May 28: Hudson High School mini-theater, 14410 Cobra Way, Hudson.
• May 29: Virtual Town Hall Meeting, live on the district's television station, PETV (Bright House channel 614 and Verizon channel 40), as well as on the district website at www.pasco.k12.fl.us/communications/ videostream.
• May 30: River Ridge Middle/High School cafeteria, 11646 Town Center Road, New Port Richey
Board members already have made some decisions toward balancing the $1 billion budget, which has a projected general revenue shortfall of $25.5 million. Those include eliminating literacy coaches and media and instructional technology specialists, and targeted violation of the class size amendment. Other cuts remain. If you have questions, you can send them via the district website or by leaving a message at (813) 602-1887 or (352) 363-1887.
GOP lawmakers to address meeting
Florida Senate President Don Gaetz and state Sen. Wilton Simpson will be the guest speakers at the West Pasco Republican Club meeting on Tuesday. The meeting starts with a 6:30 p.m. social, followed by the program at 7 p.m. at the Heritage Springs Country Club, 11345 Robert Trent Jones Parkway. State Rep. Mike Fasano and other local leaders will be in attendance. Dinner is $17; menu is chicken or beef. To RSVP, call Anne Corona at (727) 514-1120.
Poppy sales to benefit veterans
VFW Holiday Post 10167 will be soliciting donations for the annual Buddy Poppy Drive. The silk flowers are made by veterans who are in VA hospitals as part of their therapy. Poppies will be available from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Thursday through Sunday at these locations:
• Winn-Dixie, 1640 U.S. 19, Holiday.
• Save-A-Lot, 1824 U.S. 19, Holiday.
• Publix, 5127 U.S. 19, New Port Richey.
• Wawa, 4026 U.S. 19, New Port Richey.
• Cody's Original Roadhouse, 39870 U.S. 19, Tarpon Springs.
Bev Hansen spoke at the Hummingbird Festival on Saturday at the Pioneer Florida Museum. Her name was misspelled in an article in Wednesday's Pasco Times.