The St. Petersburg College Foundation received a gift of $20,000 at the December luncheon meeting of the Palm Harbor Rotary Club, held at Carrabba's restaurant in Palm Harbor.
New club member Mary Lewis, 90, gave $10,000 to the SPC Foundation and the amount was matched by the Palm Harbor Rotary Club.
Palm Harbor Rotary is the first Rotary club to achieve an endowed lifetime scholarship fund with St. Petersburg College. The fund was created to award students who exhibit strong community leadership and who have a heart for volunteer service.
Lewis and her husband, Gene, became active members of Rotary in Sandusky, Ohio, during the 1950s where they learned about the club's goals of community and worldwide charity.
• • •
The Mary Custis Lee Chapter 1451 of the United Daughters of the Confederacy in Clearwater recently presented Velear Barnes Kruhn and her daughter, Vickie Manning Carmichael, with membership certificates based on the record of their second and third great-grandfather, respectively, Pvt. William E. Gillihan of Company E, Nave's Battalion, Arkansas Cavalry, Confederate States of America.
The UDC performs historical, educational, benevolent and patriotic activities and welcomes those interested in Southern history and heritage.
Membership is open to women age 16 or older who are blood descendants, lineal or collateral, of men and women who served honorably in the Army, Navy or civil service of the Confederate States of America or gave material aid to the Southern cause.
Send club news to Tampa Bay Times, 710 Court St., Clearwater, FL 33756; fax to (727) 445-4119; or email firstname.lastname@example.org.