Back-to-school events get kids, parents ready
Classes resume Aug. 20 at Pasco County schools — which means it's time to start getting organized for the new school year. Keep an eye out for our Back to School section in next Sunday's Pasco Times, which will have information and advice to help you start the new year on the right foot. In the meantime, mark your calendar for the following events:
• Sales tax holiday: It comes early this year — Friday through Sunday, Aug. 5 — so get your shopping list ready. The state will waive sales tax on clothing and shoes priced $75 or lower, and school supplies up to $15.
• Stuff the Bus: The United Way of Pasco County and other organizations will collect donations of school supplies next weekend — Friday, Saturday and Sunday, Aug. 5 — to stock the shelves for schoolteachers, who on average spend $400 of their own money to supply their classrooms. School buses will be parked from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. all three days at 13 Walmart and Publix locations countywide to accept donations of supplies — think folders, pencils, crayons, markers, paper plates and cups, bandages, and even stickers and candy that can be given as rewards. For information or to volunteer, contact Judith Tilton at (727) 835-2028 or [email protected]
• Back to School Bash: Cobb Theatres Grove 16 will host this free event from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, featuring school supplies, games, face painting, medical screenings, haircuts, healthy eating and dental hygiene tips, tutoring information, games, child safety kits and more. The theater is at 6333 Wesley Grove Blvd. in Wesley Chapel. For information, call (813) 948-5445 or visit www.cobbtheatres.com.
• Can Do Camp: True Life Center will host this camp for children in grades 1-5, with games and fun activities designed to motivate kids to do well in school and pursue their dreams. Registration is from 6 to 6:15 p.m. Aug. 7, and the camp runs from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Aug. 7-9 at the Main Street Zephyrhills Gazebo, 38500 Fifth Ave. For information, contact Susan Morrison at (813) 788-5433 or [email protected], or visit www.truelifecenter.com.
• Immunizations: The Pasco County Health Department will provide free immunizations for seventh graders needing the state-mandated Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, acellular pertussis) vaccination at the Aug. 14 orientations at all middle schools. Student must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. For information, call the health department at (727) 861-5260, ext. 268.