Advisory council will meet at Powell Middle
Powell Middle School will have a School Advisory Council meeting at 6:15 p.m. today in the media center, 4100 Barclay Ave. For information, call (352) 797-7095.
Polish Legion holds its holiday dinner
The Polish Legion of American Veterans, Walter Weiss Memorial Post, will host the annual "Oplatek" Christmas Celebration Dec. 11 at VFW Post 8681, 18940 Drayton St., at County Line Road.
Doors will open at 2 p.m. A Polish dinner will be served at 2:45 p.m. The Bee-Sharps will entertain with polka and American dance music from 4 to 6:30 p.m. Wine will be provided on each table during dinner, and a cash bar will be available.
The traditional Polish Christmas party will include singing Polish and American carols, a visit from Santa and a raffle with more than 20 prizes.
Guests are asked to bring a gift for a veteran at the Bay Pines VA Medical Center in St. Petersburg. Gifts should be wrapped and marked for male or female.
Tickets are $18 each or two for $35 for adults, $5 for youth ages 6 to 12, and free for children 5 and younger. Tickets must be purchased by Dec. 6. Table reservations are available. Call (352) 686-7379, (727) 848-7826 or (727) 862-1286.
City Hall gallery hosts Fall Art Exhibit
The Fall Art Exhibit is now open at the City Hall Art Gallery, 201 Howell Ave.
The show features works by the Nature Coast Decorative Artists, Hernando Porcelain Painters, Spring Hill Camera Club and Suncoast Ship Model Society; handmade quilts by Shirley Kerstetter; and a new selection of poetry by Just Poets.
In addition, works by artists Edward L. Anderson, Glenna Cofran, Ilene Kerr, Yoko O, David Rivera and Dee Dee Seruga and military medals and decorations sponsored by the Hernando Preservation Society will be on exhibit.
A reception to meet the artists is planned for 5 to 7 p.m. Dec. 9. The exhibit, which is on display through Jan. 7, is open during regular business hours: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays, except holidays.
For information, call (352) 540-3810.
Members, guests will dance to Short Notice
The Brookridge Social Dance Group will host a Christmas Dance from 7:30 to 10:30 p.m. Dec. 4 at the Brookridge Clubhouse, 8150 Hampton St.
Music will be provided by Short Notice. Guests are to bring their own refreshments. Ice and coffee will be available. Doughnuts will be served after the 50/50 raffle, about 9:30 p.m.
Tickets are $5 each. For information or reservations, call Dot at (352) 597-0723.
The group also has tickets available to its New Year's Eve Dinner Dance, which includes a catered dinner, complimentary wine, hats, noisemakers and champagne at midnight. Tickets are $30. Call Dot at the number above.
Barbecue fundraiser honors Moose leader
A benefit barbecue in honor of Mark "Tiny" Metcalf will be at 1 p.m. Dec. 4 at Spring Hill Moose Lodge, 5214 Mariner Blvd.
Bikers and nonriders are welcome. The event will include music, biker games and raffles. Tickets are $10, which includes a food ticket, three beer tickets and two raffle tickets.
Funds raised will go to Metcalf's family. Metcalf, 39, who was killed Oct. 21 in a motorcycle accident, was the Moose Riders state chairman.
During his time as chairman, he raised $66,000 for children's charities. The Florida State Board of Moose Riders has designated Dec. 4 as Mark "Tiny" Metcalf Day.
For information or tickets, call the lodge at (352) 686-5666, Steve Gagnon at (352) 584-5729 or David Ventresca at (352) 345-9541.
Marlins perform at clubhouse on Dec. 9
Brookridge Entertainment will present the Marlins in concert at 7 p.m. Dec. 9 at the Brookridge Clubhouse, 8150 Hampton St.
The Marlins are four brothers — Gary, Jace, Rick and Robert — who have performed for more than 25 years throughout the United States and Canada. Their repertoire covers an entire musical spectrum, including country, rock, big band, classical jazz and bluegrass. They have shared the stage with greats such as Lee Greenwood, the Smothers Brothers and Randy Travis.
Tickets are $15 each. Call Larry and Vivian Schmitz at (352) 610-4901.
Heritage Days will carry you back in time
The Floral City Heritage Days 2010 will be Dec. 3-4.
Activities begin at dusk Dec. 3 with a fish fry, horse-drawn wagon rides, caroling and walking under 1,000 lights in the oak trees.
Dec. 4 activities will be from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and include the Blue Banner Tour of Historic Homes (tickets are $10), Heritage Hall Museum, demonstrations by local artisans, storytellers, Florida Cracker cowboy exhibit and demonstrations, food, a country store and other entertainment.
Events will be in the heart of Floral City, at U.S. 41 and Orange Avenue (State Road 48). For information, call (352) 860-0101.
AARP offers classes to promote safe driving
AARP Driver's Safety Program classes will be offered at the following locations in December. This is a six-hour class that costs $12 for AARP members and $14 for nonmembers (members must bring their AARP cards):
• 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. Dec. 1 and 8, Spring Hill Enrichment Center, 11375 Cortez Blvd., Spring Hill (behind Oak Hill Hospital). Call (352) 797-6313 to register.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Dec. 11, Brookridge Community Center, 8150 Hampton St., west of Brooksville. Call (352) 666-2246 to register.
Turkey, trimmings and celebrations
The following Thanksgiving celebrations are planned:
• Thanksgiving dinner, 4 to 6 p.m. Saturday, Bridge Christian Life Center, 7279 Pinehurst Drive, at Cobblestone Drive, Spring Hill. This is a free dinner open to the community. Donations are welcome. No reservations are needed. For information, call the church office at (352) 683-2863 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. weekdays.
• Community Thanksgiving dinner, 6 to 8 p.m. Monday, Jerome Brown Community Center, 99 Jerome Brown Place, off Darby Lane, Brooksville. The free dinner is sponsored by Christian Life Assembly of God and the Jesus and Me Ministry. Donations of turkeys and food baskets are needed. Volunteers appreciated. For information, call Christian Life at (352) 597-1139 or Jo Ann Munford at (352) 340-9594.
• Feed the Five Thousand, 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. Nov. 25, True Holiness Church of Jesus Christ, 15500 Wiscon Road, Brooksville. This is a free event for individuals and families. For reservations or information, call Sonia Lynch Dillard at (352) 279-8313 or Sandra Paulin at (352) 279-5837.