Run, blood drive and more to mark Sept. 11
The following events and programs are planned for Thursday, Patriot Day, in remembrance of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks:
• Hernando County Family YMCA's annual Run to Remember, 6:30 a.m., 1300 Mariner Blvd., Spring Hill, The event will include a 5K run (or 1-mile walk), followed by a prayer service and continental breakfast. The Hernando County Sheriff's Office will lead the runners into the Seven Hills community, and Spring Hill Fire Rescue will follow all racers to the finish line. Participants in the event will receive a Run to Remember T-shirt. For information or a registration form, visit www.ymca suncoast.org or call Olivia Matles at (352) 688-9622.
• Spring Hill Fire Rescue District will host a blood drive with LifeSouth Community Blood Center, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday, at 3445 Bob Hartung Court, Spring Hill. The bloodmobile will be in the fire station parking lot. All donors will receive a free gift of recognition and a cholesterol screening. To donate, you must be at least 16, weigh 110 pounds and show a photo ID (16-year-olds must have parental consent to donate). For information, call (352) 596-2002.
• American Legion Post 186 Color Guard will host a ceremony at 10 a.m. at 12091 Cortez Blvd., Spring Hill. For information, call (352) 597-9995.
• Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 9236 and Ladies Auxiliary will host a ceremony at 11 a.m. at the post, 3435 Shoal Line Blvd., Hernando Beach. A light lunch will follow in the canteen. For information, call (352) 596-9236.
• Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 8713 and Ladies Auxiliary will host the Brooksville Patriot Day ceremony at 11 a.m. at 1686 E Jefferson St., Brooksville. The ceremony will be led by Commander Jim Simonetti and post officers. For information, call (352) 796-4449.
• "Heap the Hummer" extravaganza to collect supplies for troops serving overseas, 4 to 8 p.m. Thursday and again from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at Glen Lakes Publix, 9595 Commercial Way, Weeki Wachee. Donations of items will be accepted and stuffed into a Hummer on site. The event, sponsored by the local Publix, will include entertainment and children's activities. Various local agencies will also be on hand. There will be fire trucks, an ambulance, the sheriff's DARE car and military vehicles on display. For information, call (352) 596-5189.
School art program to host show at cafe
Hernando High School's Art Program will host an art show from 7 to 9 p.m. Saturday at the Rising Sun Cafe, 10 S Main St.
For information, call Michael Nicholson at (352) 797-7015, ext. 260.
Pageant contestants invited for festival
The Hispanic Scholarship Civic and Cultural Foundation invites area Spanish women 20 and younger to participate in the Spanish Heritage Festival Queen Pageant.
The pageant will be part of the Spanish Heritage Festival for Scholarships on Oct. 11 at the SNP Hall, 13383 County Line Road. The entry fee is $50 per contestant.
The winner will keep the crown and scepter, receive surprises and appear in local newspapers.
The application deadline is Oct. 7. Entries are limited. For an application or information, call Gladys Pedersen at (352) 683-6235.
The festival will have gates open at 9:30 a.m. Oct. 11.
The festival will include Latin American music, a Spanish food court, clowns, a silent auction, face painting, Spanish pastries, a dunk tank, outdoor games, children's wishing well, a castle jump, sheriff's K-9 demonstration and DARE car, continuous entertainment and more.
Vendors are welcome. Indoor booths are $45 and outdoor booths are $40. Electric is available for an additional $5.
For booth applications, call Justa Bozman at (352) 796-0570, Gladys Pedersen at (352) 683-6235 or Santos and Ro Reyes at (727) 856-0135.
County rec offers quilting course
Hernando County Recreation offers a quilting course from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Tuesdays at Delta Woods Park, 3400 Deltona Blvd.
The class is open to all skill levels, advanced as well as beginners. The instructor is Helga Curtis.
The cost is $45 for the five-week class.
For next course start date and details, call the Recreation Department at (352) 754-4031.
County Democrats to hold garage sale
The Hernando County Democratic Executive Committee will have a garage sale from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at club headquarters, 13405 Chambord St., off Sunshine Grove Road, west of Brooksville.
There will be 20 vendors selling a variety of household items, collectibles, crafts and other items.
The Democratic Club will also have a bake sale and hot dogs and sodas available for purchase.
For information, call (352) 686-6198.
Taste some wine for Arc Nature Coast
A wine tasting fundraiser to benefit the Arc Nature Coast will be from 5 to 7 p.m. Sept. 25 at Strong Tower Vineyard and Winery, 17810 Forge Drive.
Tickets are $15 per person or $25 per couple, which includes wine, appetizers and music. For tickets or information, call the Arc at (352) 544-2322, ext. 109, or go to www.thearc-naturecoast.org or www.strongtowerwinery.com.
Tickets are also available to enter a drawing to win a 32-inch Polaroid flat screen LCD television/DVD player. Tickets are $5 and can be purchased in advance by calling Strong Tower at (352) 799-7612 or the Arc at (352) 544-2322, ext. 109. The drawing will be at 7 p.m. at the Sept. 25 event.
Strong Tower Vineyard is 1 mile south of County Line Road (U.S. 41, west onto Bowman Road and south onto Forge, just before the Suncoast Parkway overpass).