Trio to serve as parade's grand marshals
Safety Harbor city commissioners faced a tough decision at this week's meeting: choose the city's Grand Parade Marshal from a list of three nominees. The winner would play a visible role in the city's holiday festivities, including a tree lighting and parade. The nominees were former city commissioner Nadine Nickeson; Janet Hooper, executive director of the Mattie Williams Neighborhood Family Center; and Mattie Williams herself, who has been involved in the center and community activities. Commissioners decided to punt: They unanimously approved having three grand marshals this year.
Shepherd Center needs public's help
As the holidays approach, the Shepherd Center is asking for help from the community. Donations of food, clothing and money are critical this year. Volunteers are also needed to help create turkey baskets on Monday, Nov. 21, and Wednesday, Dec. 21, from 7:30 a.m. until noon. The basket distribution is held at the Fellowship Hall of St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Cathedral. A few volunteers also are needed to help make bag lunches on Monday, Nov. 21, at 9 a.m. at the Shepherd Center Pantry. Organizations are encouraged to hold a food drive, a toy drive, or adopt a child to provide clothing and gifts. The center can provide a child's name, age, clothing size and wish list. About 400 children are expected to be assisted by the center this year. For information, call (727) 939-1400.
Drainage pipe job will reroute traffic
This weekend, a block of Missouri Avenue south of Belleair Road will be closed to through traffic to replace a drainage pipe. The closure will begin at 7 p.m. Friday and is expected to be reopened at 6 a.m. Monday. It's between Wyatt and Auburn streets at the Clearwater-Largo border. Motorists should expect delays, but access to businesses like the nearby Office Depot will be maintained, according to the Florida Department of Transportation.
Other roads also will be closed
Several other road closures are slated for Clearwater:
• The northbound curb lane of Coronado Drive from Devon Drive to South Gulfview Boulevard will be under construction Monday to Wednesday due to work on the Hampton Inn.
• Lane closures along Hercules Avenue from Sunset Point Road to Drew Street will take place now through Nov. 23 (nights only) due to a county road milling project.
• The southbound curb lane of Belcher Road south of Coachman Road will be under construction through next Friday, Nov. 18 due to a sewer line repair.
• Cleveland Street from S Fort Harrison to East avenues will be closed Sunday due to a crane and cell-tower work that will take place.
• Gulfview Boulevard from the Pier 60 parking lot to Fifth Street will be closed to traffic beginning Tuesday through the following Sunday. Coronado Drive is a detour route.