Salvation Army seeks donations of school items
The Salvation Army's Center of Hope has kicked off its annual Back to School Supply Drive to collect donated supplies for children in grades 1-12. The greatest need is for backpacks for elementary-age children. Also needed are student planners, pens, markers, No. 2 pencils, loose leaf paper, lined index cards, pocket folders, spiral and regular notebooks, scissors, white glue and glue sticks, crayons and tissues. The drive runs through Aug. 21 at the Center of Hope at 8040 Washington St. and the Salvation Army's community center at 7455 Ridge Road. Both locations are open from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays. Call Jeanne Coulter at (727) 847-6321, ext. 223.
Senior center offers fun trips
Looking to get out? The CARES Elfers Senior Center's travel office has a lineup of outings this month:
• Tuesday: Arabian Nights dinner theater, featuring beautiful horses, dazzling costumes, heart-stopping acrobatics and a three-course meal. Cost is $45, which includes dinner. Bus leaves at 9 a.m.
• Aug. 10, 20 and 31: Hard Rock Casino. Cost is $20, which includes a $25 free gambling voucher and a $5 free lunch voucher. Bus leaves at 9 a.m.
• Aug. 14: Museum of Fine Arts, featuring the Andy Warhol exhibit. Lunch at your own expense at St. Petersburg Pier. Trolley ride also available. Cost is $28. Bus leaves at 9 a.m.
• Aug. 22: Lakeridge Wine Festival, featuring grape stomping competition, wine tasting and tour, and live music. Food and drinks available at your own expense. Cost is $23. Bus leaves at 8 a.m.
• Aug. 26: IKEA furniture store. Lunch at your own expense in the store's restaurant. Cost is $20. Bus leaves at 10 a.m.
• Aug. 28: Minor league baseball game, Tampa Yankees vs. the Brevard County Manatees at Steinbrenner Field. Cost is $27, which includes food, drinks and reserved air-conditioned seating. Bus leaves at 4 p.m.
• Aug. 30: Show Palace production of Nunsense A-men! with all the characters played by men. Cost is $48, which includes transportation and buffet dinner. Bus leaves at 12:30 p.m.
All trips leave from the Elfers Center at 4136 Barker Drive in Elfers. For information or to register, call (727) 848-3387.
Art camp for kids meets Aug. 10-13
Pasco Parks and Recreation will host a summer art camp for children ages 7 to 12 from Aug. 10-13 at the Land O'Lakes Recreation Complex, 3032 Collier Parkway. Certified art teacher Jill Hallauer will give lessons on portraits, drawing and printmaking of design. The classes each day are 45 minutes, and the cost for the week is $35. For information, call (813) 929-1220.
A detailed list of obituaries is published in Section B.