The public is invited to the following Labor Day events in Hernando County:
• Marine Corps League, Spring Hill Detachment 708, Labor Day Picnic, from noon to 5 p.m. today, 8405 Sunshine Grove Road, west of Brooksville. Musical entertainment will be provided by Lady and the Outlaw. Food will include sausage and peppers, hot dogs and fixings. Tickets are $15 per person, which includes the food and a bottomless keg and soda. The cost is $10 for those who want just the food and the soda. Tickets are available in the lounge, which is open from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. weekdays and Saturdays, and from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sundays. For more information, call (352) 597-7979 (ask for the lounge).
• Ladies Auxiliary to VFW Post 9236 Third Annual Beach Party, 4 to 8 p.m. today, 3435 Shoal Line Blvd., Hernando Beach. Food will be served from 4 to 7 p.m. The meal is $6 and includes burgers, coleslaw, chips and dessert. Music will be provided by Jim and Jim from 5 to 8 p.m. Those attending are encouraged to wear beach shirts. Proceeds from the sale of food will benefit the Ladies Auxiliary Cancer Aid and Research Program. For more information, call (352) 596-9236.
• A Labor Day celebration benefit for Lea's Prayers and Postage, 3 p.m. Sunday, Masaryktown Community Center, 539 Lincoln Ave., Masaryktown. Admission is $5 for adults and free for children. Musical entertainment will be provided by George Marshall, Brian Chytka, Steffani Renae, Matthew Romeo, Southern Harmony and others. There will be an auction and a 50/50 raffle, and food, soda and beer will be available for purchase. U.S. Rep. Ginny Brown-Waite plans to attend. Lea's Prayers and Postage is a nonprofit organization that supports postage for packages sent to troops overseas. For more information, call Dee Mills at (352) 428-8564.
• Labor Day Pig Roast at Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 8681, noon Monday, 18940 Drayton St. at County Line Road, Shady Hills. Tickets are $7 for members, $9 for nonmembers, $5 for children ages 6 to 10 and free for those age 5 and younger. There will be games for all ages, carnival activities, country music, karaoke, inflatables for kids, clowns, classic cars, face painting and tattoos, and raffles with more than 40 prizes. For more information or to reserve tickets, call Bob at (727) 919-0622.
• Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 8713 and Ladies Auxiliary Labor Day Celebration, 11 a.m. Monday, 1686 E Jefferson St., Brooksville. There will be horse races and other games, an auction and a bake auction. Hamburgers and hot dogs will be sold. Call (352) 796-4449.
• Labor Day Picnic at Aripeka Elks Lodge 2520, 3 p.m. Monday, 9135 Denton Ave., Hudson. The menu will include barbecued ribs, chicken, potato salad, baked beans and corn on the cob. Music will be provided by Jim and Jim from 3 to 7 p.m., followed by Karaoke By Annie. Tickets are $9 if purchased in advance or $12 at the door. The cost is $4.50 for children 10 and younger. Tickets can be purchased at the bar from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily. For more information, call (727) 863-2520.
• Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 10209 Men's Auxiliary Community Yard Sale, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday, 14736 Edward R. Noll Drive, Spring Hill. Indoor spaces are $15; outdoor spaces are $10. The event will include food, drinks and a raffle. For more information, call Dennis at (813) 526-6868 or Ron at (813) 323-4576.
• Polish-American Social Club Labor Day Picnic, Wednesday, 7615 New Jersey Ave., Hudson. This will be an indoor picnic. Doors will open at 10 a.m. Food will be served from noon to 1 p.m. and will include hamburgers, hot dogs and fixings. There will be games with prizes, including a cakewalk. Music for dancing will be from 3 to 4 p.m. Tickets are $5. Call Dolores at (352) 596-4802 or Josephine at (727) 862-1520.