Nonprofit seeks help aiding people in need
People Helping People of Hernando serves free meals to people in need from 4 to 5:30 p.m. each Sunday at the Hernando County Senior Citizens Club, 7925 Rhanbuoy Road, Spring Hill.
The group is a local interfaith nonprofit organization and is in need of volunteers and donations. Groups are encouraged to help by preparing the entree at one of the dinners.
People Helping People also provides free clothing, groceries and resource materials to those in need.
Call (352) 686-4466. Checks may be mailed to: People Helping People, P.O. Box 6182, Spring Hill, FL 34611.
Library will offer free movies, kids' program
The Hernando County Public Library System will offer the following free programs at the Spring Hill Branch/Harold G. Zopp Memorial Library, 9220 Spring Hill Drive:
• Karate Kid will be shown at 6 p.m. Tuesday. Jackie Chan and Jaden Smith star in this 2010 film about a young boy who moves from Detroit to China during his mother's latest career move. There, he learns kung fu. Rated PG. Popcorn will be provided. Families can bring drinks in a covered container.
• The Movement and Music program for children ages 3 to 5 will be at 10 a.m. Wednesday. Children will learn rhythm and movement through song and music. Registration is required. RSVP to (352) 540-6390.
• The Last Song will be shown at 2 p.m. Thursday. The 2010 film, rated PG, stars Miley Cyrus as a reluctant teenager who spends the summer with her estranged father, played by Greg Kinnear, in a small Southern beach town. While she would rather be home in New York, her father tries to reconnect through the only thing they have in common — music. Light refreshments will be served.
All programs are sponsored by the Friends of the Library of Hernando County.
For information, call the library programming staff at (352) 540-6391.
Classes, workshops free at nature center
The following programs will be at the Chinsegut Nature Center, 23212 Lake Lindsey Road, north of Brooksville.
• Longleaf pine basket class, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday. Class size is limited to 30 participants.
• Chinsegut Night Walk, 6 to 8 p.m. Friday. Join this night walk to listen and look for bats, frogs, owls and other creatures of the night. Bring a flashlight and insect repellent. The walk is about 1 mile. All ages welcome, but children younger than 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
• Junior Birding Workshop, 10 a.m. to noon Feb. 26. Designed for youth 16 and younger, this class includes a bird walk and youth-oriented introduction to birding. Bird identification materials and binoculars provided. Children 12 and younger must be accompanied by an adult participant.
All programs are free. However, space is limited and advanced reservations are required.
Call (352) 754-6722.
Luncheon, fashion show tickets on sale
The Hernando County La Sertoma Club is selling tickets for its Luncheon and Fashion Show that will be March 26 at First United Methodist Church, 9344 Spring Hill Drive. Doors open at 11:30 a.m.
Lunch will be catered by Guido's Restaurant, and fashions will be provided by Bealls. Tickets are $15 and must be purchased by March 20.
Call Laverne at (352) 796-4657.