• The city of Largo invites the public to participate in a community service project Saturday. Volunteers are asked to meet at 9 a.m. next to the playground at Largo Central Park, 101 Central Park Drive. Participants will gather after the project for pizza and drinks at shelters 3, 4 and 5. Reservations are requested by Thursday. E-mail Chara Lucas at [email protected] or call (727) 587-6740, ext 5014.
• The 31st Annual Martin Luther King Jr. Essay Contest Finals 7 p.m. Thursday at the Enoch Davis Center at 1111 18th Ave. S. The event highlights the writings of Pinellas County high school students. Free. For more information, call Wanda Mitchell at (727) 893-7134.
• The MLK Drum Major for Justice Battle of the Bands and Drum Line Extravaganza begins at 4 p.m. Sunday at Tropicana Field, 1 Stadium Drive. It features the Bethune-Cookman Marching Wildcats of Daytona Beach, other marching bands and drum lines from Georgia, Alabama, North Carolina, Louisiana and Florida. Admission costs $10 in advance, $12 the day of event, $15 VIP. For more information, visit online at mlknationalparade.org.
• The 2011 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Candlelight Vigil will be at 6 p.m. Sunday at the Dr. Carter G. Woodson African American Museum. The free event includes light refreshments and entertainment. The museum is at 2240 Ninth Ave. S. For more information, call (727) 323-1104 or visit woodsonmuseum.org.
• National Council of Negro Women 25th Annual MLK Leadership Awards Breakfast will be at 7:30 a.m. Monday at the Coliseum. The keynote speaker will be Willie Gary, Palm Beach trial attorney and philanthropist. Tickets are $25. The Coliseum is at 535 Fourth Ave. N. For more information, contact Angela Rouson, event coordinator, at (727) 641-5911; or Signora Farris, president, NCNW/St. Petersburg Metropolitan Section, at (727) 327-3154.
• The 26th Annual MLK Drum Major For Justice National Parade will start at 11 a.m. Monday. The parade begins at Third Avenue S and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Street, proceeds north to Central Avenue, east to Bayshore Drive, and north to Fifth Avenue N, disbanding at Vinoy Park. For more information, go to mlknationalparade.org. For parade day vendor inquiries, call Thomas Huggins at (813) 207-0003 or visit the parade vendor website at www. spmlkparade.com.