Think green and recycle that tree for mulch
If your New Year's resolution is to be a little kinder to our planet, you can start with that Christmas tree: recycle it. Instead of tossing the tree to the curb — where it will get mixed up with the other garbage and shoveled into the county's waste incinerator — you can return your tree to the earth. The county is accepting clean trees through Jan. 9 for chipping into mulch for use at local parks. Make sure you remove all lights, ornaments, tinsel and hooks, then bring the tree to any of these locations:
• Veterans Memorial Park, 14333 Hicks Road, Hudson.
• Jay B. Starkey Wilderness Park, 10500 Wilderness Park Road, New Port Richey.
• Land O'Lakes Community Center, 5401 U.S. 41, Land O'Lakes.
• Sam W. Pasco Recreational Complex, 9835 Chancey Road, Zephyrhills.
• Wesley Chapel Regional Park, 7727 Boyette Road, Wesley Chapel (trees being collected at the north end at Overpass Road).
• John S. Burks Memorial Park, 1322 Gene Nelson Blvd., Dade City.
• Shady Hills Park, 15840 Green Glen Lane.
• Anclote Gulf Park, 2305 Baillie's Bluff Road, Holiday.
• West Pasco Class III site, 14230 Hays Road, Shady Hills.
For information, call Pasco recycling coordinator Jennifer Seney at (727) 847-8041, (813) 235-6012 or (352) 521-4285, ext. 8041.
Garden permablitz needs a few hands
Code Green Community hosts a permablitz from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sunday at the Angelus, 12413 Hudson Ave., Hudson. A permablitz is a free event at which members of the community lend a helping hand. At this permablitz, the organization plans to plant and tend to an organic garden and the group seeks volunteers. For more information, call Eric at (727) 271-2754 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Many closings Friday, Saturday for New Year
All Pasco County government offices, including the courts and the constitutional offices, will be closed Friday in observance of the New Year's holiday. Here's the schedule for other county facilities this holiday weekend:
• Libraries: Open from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday, but closed on Saturday.
• Public transit: No service Friday and Saturday.
• Tax Collector: Closed Friday and Saturday.
• Recreation: County parks will remain open during the holidays, but the recreation complexes will be closed Friday and Saturday.
• Animal Services: Closed Friday and Saturday, but an emergency officer is on call. Shelter re-opens at noon Tuesday.
• Landfill: The county's Resource Recovery Facility and the East Pasco Transfer Station will be closed Friday to the general public, but open to commercial haulers; closed to everyone on Saturday.
All county facilities are scheduled to reopen next week at their usual times.
Benedictines' prayer service on eve of year
The Benedictine Sisters of Florida host a prayer service at 7:30 p.m. on New Year's Eve at the Holy Name Monastery Chapel, 33201 State Road 52, St. Leo.
For more information, call (352) 588-8320 or visit online at floridabenedictines.com.
Thrift shop half price sale is all next week
St. Stephen's Episcopal Church hosts a half price sale from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday at its thrift shop, 5326 Charles Street.
For more information, call (727) 846-1378.