Tickets available for Democrats' fundraiser
Tickets are now available for the "Let Freedom Ring" Jefferson-Jackson Gala Fundraiser and Dinner, sponsored by the Hernando County Democratic Executive Committee.
The event will be July 26 at Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 10209, 14736 Edward R. Noll Drive. Cocktails will be at 5 p.m. and dinner at 6 p.m. A buffet dinner will be served, and there will be music and dancing.
The keynote speaker is Karen Thurman, chairwoman of the Florida Democratic Party. Special guests include state House Minority Leader Dan Gelber. Those attending also will have the opportunity to meet local Democratic candidates.
Tickets are $40.
Program ads and boosters are also available.
Bowl-A-Thon benefits Arc Nature Coast
The Arc Nature Coast's 15th annual Bowl-A-Thon has been rescheduled.
It will be from 4 to 6 p.m. Aug. 9 at Spring Hill Lanes, 3447 Commercial Way.
Sponsors and bowlers are needed. A $125 team sponsorship provides Bowl-A- Thon T-shirts for a team of five bowlers (all sponsor names will be printed on the back of a minimum of 200 shirts), two games of bowling and shoe rental.
Individual and team awards will be presented directly after bowling.
A $125 lane sponsorship provides a large banner on a lane promoting the company or organization, the company's name on the event T-shirt and recognition in the Arc's quarterly newsletter.
Bowlers are each asked to collect a minimum of $25 in pledges. A trophy will be awarded to the person and to the team bringing in the most pledge money.
Sponsors can assemble their own bowling teams, or Arc will provide a team or individual bowlers for teams with fewer than five members.
Also, donations of gift certificates and other prizes are being sought from area businesses.
The deadline for lane and team sponsorships is July 31.
Call 544-2322, ext. 109.
Elks have tribute to Cline, show by Charo
Aripeka Elks Lodge 2520 is selling season tickets for its 2008-09 dinner shows. The lineup includes:
• Oct. 11, Tribute to Patsy Cline, starring Leanne Williams. The show features Williams singing hits such as Crazy and I Fall to Pieces.
• Nov. 8, Mark Friedman and Rodi Alexander. Friedman performs on the piano, combined with comedy and impressions. His music varies from Broadway and rock 'n' roll to international favorites.
• Dec. 13, the Divas. This is a three-woman group with a four-piece band that performs disco, country classics, R&B, Broadway favorites and Top 10 dance hits. It features tributes to Aretha Franklin, Reba McEntire and Patsy Cline.
• Jan. 17, the Hubcaps. The group, which formed 32 years ago as Harvey Hubcap and the Do Ron Ron and evolved into the Fabulous Hubcaps, performs a "down memory lane" show with nostalgic music from the 1950s.
• Feb. 21, "Yesterday, A Tribute to the Beatles." This quartet entertains with vocals, stage mannerisms and costumes in tribute to the Beatles, the Everly Brothers and Buddy Holly.
• March 14, Charo. With her trademark "cuchi, cuchi," the singer, comedian and musician has performed worldwide since the 1970s.
All shows will be at Elks Lodge 2520, 9135 Denton Ave.
Dinner is at 6 p.m. Showtime is at 7:30.
Season tickets are $162 for prime seating, $150 for regular seating.
Individual shows are $28 for prime seating, $26 for regular seating.
For information or reservations, stop by or call Judy between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. weekdays at (727) 868-2994, ext. 14.
Literacy group aids reading, math skills
HEART (Hernando's Education for Adult Readers in Training) Adult Literacy offers free reading, math and language arts classes, as well as free pre-GED testing and English for Speakers of Other Languages, at various sites throughout the county:
• From 5:30 to 8 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, Career Central, 7361 Forest Oaks Blvd., Spring Hill.
• From 9:30 a.m. to noon Mondays and Wednesdays, Northcliffe Baptist Church, 10515 Northcliffe Blvd., Spring Hill.
• From 9 to 11 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, Grace World Outreach Church, 20366 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville.
• From 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, HEART Adult Literacy, 801 N Broad St., Brooksville.
Classes are for those 18 and older.
No appointments are necessary; walk-ins are accepted.
Those attending must bring a Florida photo ID. Most sites offer free child care.
For information, call 797-7018.
Enroll now for Early Childhood Development
Mid-Florida Community Services' Head Start Early Childhood Development Pre-School Program is accepting applications for enrollment for 2008-09.
The program serves children 3 or 4 years old as of Sept. 1. Head Start also serves children with disabilities.
This is a federally funded, income-eligible program.
The items needed to apply include:
• Birth certificate (proof of guardianship/custody, if applicable).
• Proof of residency.
• Proof of income for the last 12 months or prior calendar year, whichever is applicable (W-2 form; WAGES/TANF/SSI letter, statement of earnings from employer, unemployment verification, notarized statement of earnings, Form 1099, child support and other forms of income).
• Documentation of child's disability (if applicable).
Applications for enrollment are accepted from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, or by appointment, at the following locations:
• Head Start R.R. Moton Early Intervention Center, 835 School St., Brooksville. Call 754-2464.
• Head Start Hence Street Center, 805 Hence St., Wildwood. Call (352) 748-6677.
For an appointment in Bushnell, call the Brooksville office, 754-2464.
Visit the Web site at mfcs.us.com.