GOLF TOURNEY BENEFITS PETS: The fifth annual Cause FORE Paws golf tournament will be April 7 at Brooksville Country Club, 23446 Links Drive, Brooksville. This is a best-ball scramble with a shotgun start at 9 a.m.; check-in is at 8 a.m. The entry fee is $70 per golfer or $280 per foursome. It includes breakfast by Chick-fil-A, a catered lunch by Texas Roadhouse, awards to the top teams, a hole-in-one contest and prizes for longest drive and closest to the pin. Pets will be available for adoption.
The event is a fundraiser for the Humane Society of the Nature Coast, with proceeds used to care for the animals at the no-kill shelter. Registration is required by March 31. Sponsorships are also available, from $100 to $1,500. To register, become a sponsor or for further information, visit humanerescue.org, call the shelter at (3520 796-2711, or call Kathy Schmitz at (352) 232-4376.
RAIN BARREL WORKSHOP: Hernando County Utilities will offer a Rain Barrel Workshop from 4 to 5 p.m. Monday at the Hernando County Cooperative Extension Service, 1653 Blaise Drive, Brooksville. Participants will receive information on how to use and care for rain barrels. They will also receive a 65-gallon rain barrel and be guided through its assembly. The cost for the class is $65, which includes the cost of the rain barrel (one barrel per household). Hernando County Utilities customers will receive a $25 credit on their water bill. Class size is limited. Preregistration and payment is required to ensure availability of a rain barrel. Contact Sylvia Durell at (352) 540-6230 or [email protected]
CELEBRATION HONORS THOSE WHO FEED THE NEEDY: People Helping People will host its annual Dinner Dance Celebration at 6 p.m. March 22 at the Palace Grand, 275 Della Court, Spring Hill. There will be a buffet dinner, cash bar, entertainment by a jazz ensemble, raffle for prizes and a 50/50 drawing.
This year's event will honor several other nonprofit, grass roots organizations that, like PHP, focus on feeding the homeless and needy individuals and families in the community. Organizations to be honored include Love Your Neighbor, Behind the Stone Ministries, Jericho Road Ministries, Homeless Ministries, Auroveda, St. Vincent de Paul and HeartFELT. Tickets are $40. Call Marlene at (352) 650-4251 or leave a message on the PHP information line at (352) 686-4466.
ST. JOSEPH CELEBRATION: The Sons of Italy, Nature Coast Lodge 2502, will host the annual St. Joseph Feast and Celebration from 4 to 8 p.m. March 22 at St. Theresa Catholic Church, 1107 Commercial Way, Spring Hill. Following a Mass will be a complimentary pasta Milanese dinner, as well as St. Joseph bread and pastries available for sale. All donations will benefit St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. For information, call Carmela at (352) 688-9234 or Julia at (352) 686-3865.
SCHOLARSHIPS FOR GRADUATING SENIORS: The following organizations are accepting scholarship applications from Hernando County students:
• The Glen Lakes Garden Club will award a $1,500 scholarship to a graduating senior. To be eligible, students must pursue a degree at an accredited college, university or technical school or have participated in at least 250 hours of volunteer or community service in grades 9 to 12. Students must have at least a 3.5 grade point average and three letters of reference. Completed applications must be postmarked by Saturday.
The recipient and a parent will attend the garden club's fashion show April 4.Application forms are available in high schools guidance offices. Students in private schools or who are homeschooled, or anyone seeking information, may contact Pat Majer at [email protected]
• The Hernando Audubon Society will offer the 2014 Stephen B. Fickett Memorial Environmental Scholarship of $1,000, and the Andy Maywalt Memorial Scholarship of $500 to qualifying Hernando County high school seniors.
Seniors planning careers in the natural or earth sciences, as well as students who have participated in environmental clubs, are encouraged to apply. Application details are available at hernandoaudubon.org or in local high school guidance offices.
Applications must be postmarked no later than April 4.
• The Nature Coast Tennis Foundation is accepting applications for its 2014 Simon Toftegaard Tennis Scholarship and NCTF Academic Scholarship. The foundation will award $1,000 for each scholarship. These scholarships are open to Hernando County high school seniors.
Applications and details are available online at nctf.usta.com or by emailing [email protected] The deadline for applications is April 15.
• Suncoast Schools Federal Credit Union has scholarships available to seniors who live in its 15-county coverage area, which includes Hernando County.
There is: one award of $10,000 per year, for four years, during the pursuit of a bachelor's degree at a four-year university; one award of $6,000 per year, for two years, for those pursuing an associate's degree, followed by $10,000 per year for two years to complete a bachelor's degree at a four-year college; one award of $6,000 per year for two years for those pursuing workforce preparation through an associate of science or associate in applied science degree; and a one-time award of up to $4,000 to a student attending a vocational or technical program.
The application deadline is March 31. Applications are available online at suncoastfcu.org or by stopping by any branch office.
• The Hernando-Citrus Farm Bureau will award one or more scholarships up to $1,000 to graduating high school seniors in Hernando and Citrus counties. To be eligible, seniors must carry at least a 2.5 grade point average and plan to major in an agriculture-related field. Applications are available in guidance offices at all Hernando and Citrus high schools, as well as at private schools. Applications must be postmarked or hand-delivered to the Farm Bureau by April 1. For information, call (352) 796-2526.
• The Spring Hill Domino Social Club will provide scholarships to Hispanic students. Applications and details are available at high school guidance departments. The deadline is April 15.
• Stage West Community Playhouse will award $6,000 in scholarships to high school graduates intending to study voice or the theater arts. The Irv Clark Scholarship for Voice is $2,000. Three youth scholarships of $1,000 each will be awarded for theater arts studies, and one $1,000 appreciation scholarship to a student who has volunteered at Stage West and may not be studying voice or theater arts.
Applications are available at high schools. Homeschool or private school graduates may request an application from the Stage West box office, (352) 683-5113, or call Linda Campo at (352) 428-4990. The application deadline is April 11. The scholarship money is raised through donations by Stage West members and patrons.
• The Sons of Italy, Nature Coast Lodge 2502, will award two $1,000 scholarships to high school graduates of Italian descent who have a minimum grade point average of 3.0 and a minimum SAT score of 1100 or an ACT composite score of at least 23. Applicants must also submit a 750-word essay.
The application deadline is April 7. Applications are available in high school guidance departments. Winners will be recognized at the lodge's May 3 dinner-dance.
• The Spike Club of the Hernando Builders Association will award a $1,000 scholarship to a high school graduate furthering his or her education in the construction field (drafting, architecture and design, air conditioning and refrigeration, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, construction management, surveying and other fields). The scholarship is to be applied toward the cost of books and tuition.
The application deadline is April 18. Applications are available at high school guidance departments, as well as at the HBA office at 7391 Sunshine Grove Road, west of Brooksville, and on the group's website at hernandobuilders.com. For information, call the HBA office at (352) 596-1114.
• The Latin-American Civic and Cultural Association of Spring Hill will award several scholarships to students of Hispanic ethnicity. Entries will be judged on scholastic merits and achievements, recommendations and financial need.
Applications are available at high school guidance departments. The deadline is April 18. For information, call Noemi De La Rosa at (352) 683-6742.
VACANCY ON CONSTRUCTION BOARD: The Hernando County Commission is accepting applications from individuals interested in filling a vacant position for an architect or engineer on the Hernando County Board of Construction and Regulation, effective through Dec. 31, 2017.
The Board of Construction and Regulation performs the duty of a board of adjustment and appeals, and acts as a countywide compliance review board.
Anyone interested in applying for this volunteer position must be a resident and registered voter in Hernando County.
Applications are available in the County Administrator's office, Room 263, Hernando County Government Center, 20 N Main St., Brooksville; as well as online at hernandocounty.us/bocc/committees.htm, or by calling (352) 754-4002.
Completed applications must be returned to the office no later than 5 p.m. March 28.