Vendors must sign up for benefit by Friday
Friday is the deadline for vendor reservations for the Holiday Stop and Shop that will be from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Nov. 13 at Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 10209, 14736 Edward R. Noll Drive.
This indoor event is a fundraiser of the post's Ladies Auxiliary, with funds benefitting prostate cancer, cancer aid and research. Coffee, donuts and a bake sale will be available. Vendor spaces are $25, which includes an 8-foot table.
For information or reservations, call Kathy Alonzo at (352) 232-6409.
Church's ethnic fest features rides, games
The 20th annual Ethnic Festival will be Oct. 21-24 at St. Joan of Arc Catholic Church, 13485 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill.
The event features midway rides, games, entertainment and a variety of food. Admission and parking are free. Discounted midway ride tickets can be purchased in advance at the church.
For information, call Tony Del Vecchio, (352) 666-3063.
Bridge club slates 3 courses in November
The Nature Coast Bridge Club will offer three courses:
• Heart Course, 9:30 a.m. Mondays, starting Nov. 1. This is a modern defensive course taught by MaryEllen Vanzler and Pat Foster. This is eight-week course. The cost is $85, which includes a book. Call Vanzler at (352) 596-1524 or Foster at (727) 372-0307.
• Bridge Basics 2 (competitive bidding), 9:30 a.m. Tuesdays, starting Nov. 2. This is a six-week course taught by Gerry Panos. The cost is $65, which includes a book. Call Panos at (727) 379-3614.
• We Love the Majors, 9:30 a.m. Wednesdays, starting Nov. 3. This is a six-week course taught by Mary Ann Dufresne and Marion Ellingsen. The cost is $75, which includes a book. Call Dufresne at (352) 592-4882 or Ellingsen at (352) 688-1182.
All classes will be conducted at the Senior Citizens Club of Hernando County, 7925 Rhanbuoy Road. For information or to sign up for a course, contact the appropriate teacher.
Relay for Life plans Caribbean cruise
The Spring Hill Relay for Life organizers have announced a "Cruise for the Cure 2011." This is a five-day western Caribbean cruise from Tampa, on the Carnival Inspiration, that departs March 12.
Ports include Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Rates vary. Reservations must be made by Oct. 19; a $25 deposit is required. Those who book this cruise can have a $100 donation (per room) given to the Relay for Life team or participant of choice, plus receive a choice of on-board gift (per room) and group T-shirt for each guest.
For information, contact DIY Travel Service at email@example.com, visit the website at diytravelservice.com or call (352) 238-2397.
La Sertoma garage sale benefits charities
Hernando County La Sertoma will host a garage sale from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 22-23 at 7368 Acorn Circle.
Funds raised will benefit charities La Sertoma supports, including scholarships for college students in need and holiday events for special needs children.
For information, call Laverne at (352) 796-4657.
Rec Department offers CPR, first aid courses
The Hernando County Recreation Department will offer the American Heart Association's CPR Adult, Infant and Child/AED (automated external defibrillator) course, as well as the first aid course, at Delta Woods Park, 3400 Deltona Blvd, the following dates: Friday, Oct. 22, Oct. 20 and Nov. 13.
CPR/AED will be from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. each day, and First Aid will be from 2 to 5 p.m. each day.
The cost is $40 for CPR/AED only, $30 for first aid only, or $60 for both.
For information or to register for a class, call the Recreation Department at (352) 754-4031 or Julie Stack at (352) 684-5664.
Dog needs training? Come to Rotary Park
The following dog training classes will be offered at Rotary Centennial Park, 10375 Sandlor St.:
• Elementary school for dogs, 10:30 a.m. Saturdays starting Oct. 16. This is a six-week session for dogs 4 months and older. The class focuses on obedience, with 16 commands and combinations, leadership, communication, pack order and more. The cost is $95.
• Puppy kindergarten, 9 a.m. Saturdays starting Oct. 30. This is a three-week program for dogs 8 months and younger. Owners learn the fundamentals of owning a puppy or dog. Topics include housebreaking, teething, puppy development stages, choosing a dog food, exercising your dog, developing a schedule and socialization. The cost is $40.
Advance registration is required. Register at www.doggonesolutions.com or call Hernando County Recreation at (352) 754-4031.
CRYSTAL RIVER/SPRING HILL
Bikers to roll against drunken driving
A Bikers Against Drunk Driving (BADD) Charity Ride and Road Safety Rally will be Oct. 23, starting at Harley-Davidson of Crystal River, 1803 SE U.S. 19, Crystal River. Registration will start at 9:30 a.m. and kickstands go up at 11 a.m. The ride ends at AAA Auto Club South, 1410 Pinehurst Drive, Spring Hill.
Following the ride, there will be free food, music, prizes and a windshield washout. Bikers and volunteers can wash windows of cars in honor or memory of a loved one who was lost or injured in a motorcycle accident.
Advance registration can be done at AAA Auto Club South, 1410 Pinehurst Drive, Spring Hill. The cost is $10 per driver and $5 per passenger. Those who register at the event pay $15 per driver and $10 per passenger.
For information, call Trina Bowden at AAA, at (352) 683-3446, ext. 2242.
Kiwanis fundraiser to help kids' programs
The Kiwanis Club of Brooksville Ridge and the Chamber of Commerce Leadership Hernando Alumni Program will host a "Taste of the Fields" fundraiser at 5 p.m. Oct. 23 at Sweetfields Farm, 17250 Benes Roush Road.
There will be a farm tour, corn maze, hayride, appetizers, wine and music. A five-course dinner will be served from 6 to 8:30 p.m., which will be prepared and served by the Sunflower Chef Amy Wilson and Chef Audrey Costa of Chef Audrey's Fresh Market Café.
Tickets are $50 each or $90 per couple. Funds raised will help various Kiwanis programs for children, such as its preschool reading program, Student Food Backpack Project and Reaching Out to Cancer Kids. Proceeds will also provide scholarship funds for the Leadership Hernando Program.
Tickets are available at Capital City Bank, CenterState Bank and WWJB Radio. For information, contact David Mickelson at (352) 428-7508 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Donna Lipidarov at (352) 797-6701 or email@example.com.