Variety show benefit: A benefit concert featuring Country Clay Kirk Variety Show and Friends will be at 7 p.m. Jan. 21 at Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 10209, 14736 Edward R. Noll Drive, Spring Hill.
Performing with Kirk will be Arthur Haywood, Mikey Bates, Morgin Nicole, Ashley Shannon and Danielle Pacifico.
The menu will include pulled pork sandwiches, baked beans and cole slaw. Tickets are $10. The event is to raise funds for repairs to the post's air-conditioning units. Thieves recently destroyed the chain-link fence and six air-conditioning units, to steal the copper inside. All units are beyond repair and need to be replaced.
For information or tickets, call the VFW at (352) 796-0398. Tickets will be available at the door.
VITA free tax preparation: The United Way of Hernando County, in partnership with the Internal Revenue Service, will offer the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program at various locations in Hernando County between Jan. 24 and April 15. Free federal tax preparation assistance will be provided to people with a total income of $50,000 or less at the following locations:
• Mid Florida Community Services, 820 Kennedy Blvd., Brooksville. 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. No appointments required. Call (352) 796-8117.
• Career Central, 7361 Forest Oaks Blvd., Spring Hill. 9 a.m. to noon Tuesdays and Thursdays, by appointment only. Call (352) 200-3030.
• Spring Hill Branch/Harold G. Zopp Memorial Library, 9220 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill. 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Fridays and 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Saturdays. No appointments required. Call (352) 540-6375.
The following must be brought to the appointment: Social Security or individual taxpayer ID cards for everyone claimed on the return; photo ID for taxpayers; current year's tax package and label; all income forms, W-2's and 1099s; information for all deductions/credits; a copy of last year's tax return; proof of account for direct deposit of refund (for example, a voided check).
housing funding assistance: Hernando County is currently accepting applications for funding assistance available through the Neighborhood Stabilization Program 3, which can be used for down payment, mortgage buy-down, minor rehabilitation and related assistance. Those interested must first attend a mandatory Homebuyer's Workshop and orientation sessions.
A Homebuyer's Workshop will be offered from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday at the Hernando County Cooperative Extension Service, 1653 Blaise Drive, Brooksville. For additional workshop dates, visit hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/hcc/hcs.cfm.
Orientation sessions will be offered from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. Jan. 23, 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. Feb. 13 and 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. Feb. 27, all in the commission chambers at the Hernando County Government Center, 20 N Main St., Brooksville.
Applications are available on the website at www.hernandodownpayment.com or can be picked up at the Hernando County Health and Human Services office, Room 161 at the Government Center. The office is open 8 am. to 5 p.m. weekdays.
Coast Guard Auxiliary offers boating program: Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla 15-8 will offer its Boating Skills and Seamanship class at 7 p.m. Tuesdays, Jan. 17 through March 13, at 4340 Calienta St., Hernando Beach.
This is a nine-week comprehensive program designed for both the experienced and novice boater. Topics include boating safety, navigation, weather, radio use and Florida laws.
The cost is $50, which includes a textbook. Registration is a half-hour before the start of the first class. The class satisfies Florida law which mandates that anyone born on or after Jan. 1, 1988, who operates a vessel powered by 10 horsepower or more, complete a state-approved safe boating course. For information, call Jeffrey Hoff at (352) 397-5417.
Horticulture class on ridding weeds: John Korycki of the Hernando County Florida Yards and Neighborhoods Program will present a free class, Ridding Your Lawn of Weeds, at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday at the Spring Hill Branch/Harold G. Zopp Memorial Library, 9220 Spring Hill Drive.
Learn what steps to take, products to use and practices that will keep weeds at bay without spending a lot of money. No registration required. Seating will be on a first-come, first-seated basis.
For information, call (352) 540-6230.
seats available on several city boards: The Brooksville City Council is accepting applications from those interested in volunteering as members on the following boards:
• One vacant full-time position on the Brooksville Housing Authority to fill an expired 4-year term through May 31, 2015.
• One vacant, nonexpiring position on the Good Neighbor Trail Advisory Committee; members are to serve through the completion of the implementation of the Good Neighbor Trail and Trailhead management plan.
• One vacant alternative position on the Planning and Zoning Commission to fill an unexpired term through Dec. 31, 2013 (applicants must be city residents).
Those interested in any of these positions must be registered Florida voters, and must complete an appropriate application, available online at tinyurl.com/7uhamwe, or at the City Clerk's office at City Hall, 201 Howell Ave., Brooksville. For information, call (352) 540-3810.
Orientation, classes for prospective adoptive parents: An orientation for those interested in learning more about adopting children from the foster care system will be offered at 6 p.m. Feb. 15 at Youth and Family Alternatives, 19245 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville.
Model Approach to Partnerships in Parenting (MAPP) classes, a 10-week program, will be offered from 6 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays, starting Feb. 22, at the Centers, 2315 U.S. 41 N, Inverness. For information, call Maria Buckley at (352) 277-5860.
AARP driver safety program: The following AARP Driver Safety Program classes will be offered in February. This is a six-hour class that costs $12 for AARP members and $14 for nonmembers (members must bring their AARP cards):
• 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 1 and 8, Brooksville Enrichment Center, Suite 120 in the Medical Arts Building at Brooksville Regional Hospital, 17222 Hospital Road, west of Brooksville. Call (352) 684-6348 to register. Another class will be 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 15 and 22; call (352) 799-3370 to register.
• 1 to 4 p.m. Feb. 10 and 17, Spring Hill Enrichment Center, Suite 105 in the Medical Arts Building at Spring Hill Regional Hospital, 10441 Quality Drive, Spring Hill. Call (352) 799-3370 to register.
• 9 a.m. to noon Feb. 13 and 20, Partner's Club at Oak Hill Hospital, 11375 Cortez Blvd., Spring Hill. Call (352) 684-6348 to register.
• 9 a.m. to noon Feb. 17 and 24, Holy Cross Lutheran Church, 6193 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill. Call (352) 596-9193 to register.
• 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Feb. 18, Brookridge Clubhouse, 8150 Hampton St., Brookridge. Call (352) 666-4044 to register.