Apply now for Public Service Aide Program
The Hernando County Sheriff's Office Citizen Volunteer Corps is accepting applications for the Public Service Aide Program.
The aides volunteer in the patrol division. They handle minor calls for service from citizens and assist patrol deputies with nonemergency calls.
Some duties include traffic direction and responding to reports of abandoned vehicles and misdemeanor criminal mischief complaints, as well as other designated calls for service.
Candidates will receive law enforcement-style classroom training that will prepare them for an 80-hour field training program.
Applications can be picked up at the Hernando County Sheriff's Office at 18900 Cortez Blvd. in Brooksville and at the sheriff's District II office at 7499 Forest Oaks Blvd. in Spring Hill.
The next Public Service Aide Academy will begin Oct. 17. The deadline to submit an application is Aug. 31.
For more information, call (352) 797-3678 or visit the sheriff's website at hernandosheriff.org.
Get schedules, books at Powell Middle
Powell Middle School has announced that student schedule and textbook pick-up dates will be from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Aug. 18 and from 9 a.m. to noon Aug. 19 at 4100 Barclay Ave.
For more information, call (352) 797-7095.
Free seminar to focus on Hernando pageant
International Pageant Productions will host a free seminar and informational session for the Miss Hernando pageant at 1 p.m. Saturday at Envy Models and Talent, 4078 Commercial Way.
The pageant, which will be Sept. 10, is an official preliminary pageant for the Miss Florida U.S. International, Teen Florida-World, Junior Miss and Little Miss Florida pageants. It is open to girls and women ages 3 to 25.
International Pageant Productions is a Florida nonprofit pageant.
For more information or to reserve a seat at the seminar, call (352) 256-9959 or send e-mail to email@example.com.
Parrott Middle will have open house
Dolores S. Parrott Middle School will have an open house from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Aug. 18 at 19220 Youth Drive.
Parents can pick up and walk their students' schedules and meet teachers and staff members. They can also purchase PE uniforms ($16 per uniform, with an optional $4 for a PE locker), sign up for parent leadership opportunities, register as a volunteer, apply for the Meal Deal Program, locate bus route times and locations, and receive information about the SES free tutoring opportunity (and the eligibility requirements).
Textbook checkouts will not be available during open house. For more information, call the school at (352) 797-7075.
Driver safety classes offered by AARP
The AARP Driver Safety Program is offering these classes in September. The six-hour course costs $12 for AARP members and $14 for nonmembers (members must bring their AARP cards):
• 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sept. 7 and 14, Brooksville Enrichment Center, Suite 120, Medical Arts Building at Brooksville Regional Hospital, 17222 Hospital Road, west of Brooksville. Call (352) 596-4044 to register.
• 9 a.m. to noon Sept. 9 and 16, Holy Cross Lutheran Church, 6193 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill. Call (352) 596-9193 to register.
• 9 a.m. to noon Sept. 12 and 14, Hernando County Mining Association Enrichment Center, 800 John Gary Grubbs Blvd., Brooksville. Call (352) 684-6348 to register.
• Noon to 3 p.m. Sept. 13 and 15, Forest Oaks Lutheran Church, 8555 Forest Oaks Blvd., Spring Hill. Call (352) 797-7497 to register.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 17, Brookridge Clubhouse, 8150 Hampton St., Brookridge. Call (352) 666-2246 to register.
• 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Sept. 21, Brooksville Enrichment Center. Call (352) 666-2246 to register.
Hernando High School will have orientation
Hernando High School will have orientation from 1 to 3:30 p.m. Aug. 19 in the school gym, 700 Bell Ave.
Student government representatives will be available to help students and parents or guardians find the students' classrooms.
Those unable to attend orientation can pick up class schedules in the main office between 3:30 and 6 p.m.
For more information, call Mary Krabel at (352) 797-7015, ext. 407.