Boards adopt 2010 millage rates
Southwest Florida Water Management District's Withlacoochee River and Coastal Rivers basin boards have adopted their fiscal year 2010 millage rates, both the same as the current fiscal year.
The Withlacoochee River Basin Board's adopted millage rate is 0.2308 mill. For the owner of a $150,000 home, with a $50,000 homestead exemption, the basin board tax would be $23.08.
The Coastal Rivers Basin Board's adopted millage rate is 0.1885 mill. For the owner of a $150,000 home with a $50,000 homestead exemption, the basin board tax would be $18.85.
In September, the Governing Board will adopt millage rates for the district's General Fund and the seven basin boards after two required Truth in Millage hearings.
The first hearing will be at 5:01 p.m. Sept. 15 and the second will be at 5:01 p.m. Sept. 29, both at the District's Tampa Service Office. For information, call (352) 796-7211.
Register your child for soccer at Elks Lodge
Brooksville Elks Lodge 2582 invites area youth to register for a soccer shoot that will be Sept. 19 at Tom Varn Park on Darby Lane. Registration will be conducted from 4 to 6 p.m. Saturday and again from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Aug. 29 at the Elks Lodge, 14494 Cortez Blvd.
The event will be in categories for ages 7 and younger, 8-9, 10-11, and 12-14.
Rules will be provided at registration. Parents are to bring their children's birth certificates to registration.
For information, call the lodge at (352) 596-2582, Angie Balderson at (352) 585-2730 or Mike Johnston at (813) 298-4351.
Golf event will benefit Love Your Neighbor
Hole sponsors and golfers are needed for the first Love Your Neighbor Golf Fundraiser, which will be Sept. 26 at Hernando Oaks Golf and Country Club, 5230 Delacroix Drive.
The cost is $70 per golfer, which includes lunch. Hole sponsorships are $100 per hole.
The event will begin with registration at 7 a.m. Prizes will be awarded for first, second and third place, as well as for longest drive and closest to the pin.
All proceeds will benefit Love Your Neighbor, a local nonprofit organization that assists the area's homeless and needy.
Checks are to be made payable to Love Your Neighbor and mailed, by Sept. 12, to Bob Schlereth, Building Division, Brooksville City Hall, 201 Howell Ave., Brooksville, FL 34601.
For information, call Schlereth at (352) 279-1034 or Karl Wolf at (352) 442-2940.
Preschool at libraries through mid October
Hernando County Public Library System will offer preschool at several branch libraries, starting the week of Aug. 31 and ending the week of Oct. 19.
Programs include Toddler Time for toddlers 18-35 months and Storytime for children 3 to 5 years old. The free programs include age-appropriate stories, fingerplays, songs and more.
The programs will be offered on the following days and locations:
• Wednesdays at East Hernando Branch Library, 6457 Windmere Road, Ridge Manor West. Toddler Time is at 10 a.m. and Storytime is at 11 a.m.
• Thursdays at Spring Hill Branch/Harold G. Zopp Memorial Library, 9220 Spring Hill Drive. Toddler Time is at 10 a.m. and Storytime is at 11 a.m.
• Fridays at West Hernando/Staffordene T. Foggia Branch Library, 6335 Blackbird Ave., Spring Hill. Toddler Time is at 10:15 a.m. and Storytime is at 11:15 a.m.
No registration is required. For information, call (352) 540-6391 or visit hcpl.lib.fl.us.
New group for moms will meet at church
A Mom 2 Mom Breastfeeding Support and Playgroup has formed. The new group will meet 10 a.m. to noon Wednesday in Davis Hall at Spring Hill United Church of Christ, 4244 Mariner Blvd.
Meetings will be on the second and fourth Wednesdays of each month. For information, call Patty at (727) 460-5748 or Evie at (352) 688-5899.
Schools have various events scheduled
School starts Monday for students at Hernando County public schools. The following events are planned:
• Brooksville Elementary School, 885 N Broad St., invites parents of kindergarteners to a Coffee and Cry at 9 a.m. Monday in the Family Center. Refreshments will be served. Call (352) 797-7014.
• West Hernando Middle School, 14325 Ken Austin Parkway, Brooksville, will have a SAC and Title I Committee meeting at 4:30 p.m. Monday in the Media Center. Call (352) 797-7035.
• J.D. Floyd K-8 School of Environmental Science, 3139 Dumont Ave., Spring Hill, will have a joint meeting of the School Advisory Council and PTA at 6 p.m. Sept. 1 in the cafeteria. Call (352) 797-7055.
• Powell Middle School, 4100 Barclay Ave., Spring Hill, will host an open house from 6 to 8 p.m. Sept. 3. Call (352) 797-7095.
• F.W. Springstead High School, 3300 Mariner Blvd., Spring Hill, will have an open house at 6:15 p.m. Sept. 8. Parents are to report to the gym, and at 6:30 p.m. they will follow their children's classes on a reduced schedule. Refreshments will be served in the cafeteria. Call (352) 797-7010.
Chamber will offer assertiveness training
The Greater Hernando County Chamber of Commerce will offer an Assertiveness Training course from 6 to 8 p.m. Mondays, Sept. 14-Oct. 12, in the conference room at Capital City Bank, 14203 Spring Hill Drive.
The course will be conducted by Vince Vanni, who has 35 years of experience in sales, marketing and communications.
• The comparison of assertive and aggressive behavior styles, with hands-on situation analysis
• The causes of non-assertive, assertive and aggressive behaviors
• Recognizing and stating your needs and limits
• When to walk away
• Taking criticism, including how to handle the negative critic
• Assertive negotiation skills
The course is open to the public. The cost is $60 for chamber members and $120 for nonmembers. A certificate of completion is awarded to those who attend at least four of the five classes.
To register or for information, call the chamber at (352) 796-0697, ext. 18.
Humane Society to host sixth Fur Ball
The sixth annual Humane Society Fur Ball will be at 6 p.m. Sept. 19 at the Palace Grand, 275 Della Court.
A cash bar/cocktail hour will be from 6 to 7 p.m. Dinner, music and dancing will start at 7 p.m. Entertainment will be provided by Cover to Cover, with a special appearance by the Non-Breeders. A silent auction will be from 6 to 8:30 p.m.
Tickets are $75 each. Sponsorships are also available and range from $250 to $2,500. For information or tickets, call (352) 796-2711.
High school actors to hold indoor yard sale
Shark Theatre and the Nature Coast Technical High School Thespian Honor Society will host a large indoor yard sale from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sept. 12 in the Black Box Theatre on the NCTHS campus, 4057 California St.
For information, call Lori Erickson at (352) 797-7088, ext. 296.
Soggie Doggie Day at the beach is Sept. 12
Hernando County Recreation will host its Soggie Doggie Day at Pine Island Beach from 8 to 9:30 a.m. Sept. 12 at Alfred McKethan Park, 10800 Pine Island Drive. Gates open at 7 a.m. and registration begins at 7:30 a.m.
The event is for dogs and their owners. There will be contests for best beachwear, pet/owner look-alike and fastest swimmer (20 yards). There will be categories for small, medium and large dogs for each event.
Free nail trimming will be offered by Patti Waggin Mobile Grooming.
Admission is $10 per vehicle. The park is limited to 120 vehicles; gate tickets can be purchased, starting Sept. 1, at the Recreation office at 205 E Fort Dade Ave., Brooksville. Individual contests are $3 per dog, per event.
Proof of vaccinations must be provided at time of gate ticket purchase.
For information, call (352) 754-4031.