You're not imagining things — that's Santa
To celebrate Christmas in July, Hernando County Government Broadcasting will air the 2007 Brooksville Kiwanis Christmas Parade on Bright House cable Ch. 622 at 8 p.m. Wednesday and at 9 a.m. July 24.
To view the Ch. 622 program schedule, go online to www.hernandocounty.us/cr/hcgbschedule.htm. For information, call Hernando County Government Broadcasting at 540-6777.
Brush up on driving skills with AARP
The AARP Driver Safety Program is a refresher course for drivers ages 50 and older. The cost is $10.
The course will be offered at the following Hernando County locations in August:
• 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. Aug. 6 and 11, Spring Hill Enrichment Center, 11375 Cortez Blvd. (behind Oak Hill Hospital). Call (352) 666-4044 to register.
• Noon to 4 p.m. Aug. 12 and 14, Forest Oaks Lutheran Church, 8555 Forest Oaks Blvd., Spring Hill. Call (352) 797-7497.
• 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Aug. 20 and 27, Spring Hill Enrichment Center. Call (352) 666-4044.
Training available for Alzheimer's caregivers
The Alzheimer's Association — Florida Gulf Coast Chapter will present caregiver training for those who are caring for loved ones with Alzheimer's or dementia.
Workshops will be from 2 to 3 p.m. Tuesdays, today through Aug. 5, in the Aspen building at Atria Evergreen Woods, 7030 Evergreen Woods Trail.
The workshops include:
• Today, Communicating with the Person with Alzheimer's Disease. The speaker is program specialist Jerry Fisher of the Alzheimer's Association.
• July 22, Alzheimer's Disease. The speaker is Dr. Jimmy Edmond of GeriCares, who specializes in geriatric medicine.
• July 29, Grief, Loss and End of Life Care. The speaker is registered nurse Lori Erceg of Hernando-Pasco Hospice.
• Aug. 5, Legal and Financial Issues. Speaker is lawyer Gregory Gay of Gay & Ehrhardt P.A.
There is no cost to participate in the caregiver training. For information or to reserve a spot, call (352) 688-4537.
Major League Soccer Camp at complex
First Hernando Youth Soccer will offer its annual Major League Soccer Camp Monday through July 25 at the Anderson Snow Soccer Complex off Anderson Snow Road.
Walk-up registrations will begin at 8:30 a.m. Monday. The camp will be from 9 a.m. to noon daily. The cost is $95.
Also, an evening goalkeeper camp will be offered July 22-24 for $60.
Online registration can be done at mlscamps.com. For information, contact Fred Poholek at firstname.lastname@example.org or (352) 650-4898.
Here's help in trying out for 'American Idol'
A contest is under way to help send a local singing hopeful to the American Idol tryouts in Jacksonville on Aug. 13. Envy Idol, a series of amateur singing contests, will be from 8 to 11 p.m. Tuesdays, today through Aug. 5, at Bar Envy, 11060 Spring Hill Drive. Signups start at 7:30 p.m.
The winner will receive $300 and a complimentary one-night stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Jacksonville on Aug. 12.
The local contest, which is not affiliated with American Idol, is open to solo singers 16 to 28. Minors must be accompanied by an adult or guardian. Participants will have the option of playing a nonelectrical instrument. Participants can sing one song only.
Admission is $2 per person, both for participants and nonparticipants. For information, call Rob Starz at (352) 263-3786.
Teens invited to play video games at library
A Teen Game Day will be from 2 to 4 p.m. Friday at Lykes Memorial Library, 238 Howell Ave.
Youth 12 to 17 can play video games such as Rockband and Wii games. Participants can enter a drawing to win an iPod Nano. The drawing will be at 4 p.m. and the winner must be present to win.
No registration is required. The free program is sponsored by the Friends of the Library of Hernando County. For information, call (352) 540-6391.