The Tampa Tribune has a long and storied 121-year history in Florida. It started as a daily newspaper in 1893, won a Pulitzer in 1966 and in 1999 became one of the first newspapers in the nation to "converge" with a TV station when it shared a newsroom with WFLA. Here is a timeline:
1893: Wallace Fisher Stovall moves his existing news operations to Tampa from Bartow. Stovall's first Tampa Morning Tribune debuts on March 27, 1893.
1895: Stovall begins the Tampa Tribune, a daily newspaper.
1925: Stovall sells the paper to a group of Florida businessmen.
1927: A Florida land boom goes bust and the businessmen sell the paper for $900,000. The owner later forms the Tribune Company, which includes the Chicago Tribune.
1958: The Tribune Company buys the Tampa Daily Times, an evening newspaper.
1966: Both papers are bought by Richmond Newspapers and the company acquires WFLA-TV.
1966: The Tribune wins a Pulitzer Prize for local investigative specialized reporting.
1969: The company is renamed Media General.
1982: The final edition of the Tampa Daily Times is printed.
1999: The paper becomes one of the first in the nation to "converge" with a TV station when it shares a newsroom with WFLA.
2012: Media General sells the Tribune for $9.5 million to Revolution Capital Group, a private equity investment group. Revolution founder and managing partner Robert Loring said at the time, "We are definitely in this for the long haul."
2015: The newspaper sells its downtown Tampa building for $17.75 million.
May 3: The Tampa Bay Times, the Tribune's main competitor, announces it has bought the Tribune for an undisclosed amount of money.