Rubio's attempt to block new flights to Cuba is rejected

Florida Sen. Marco Rubio's amendment to stop new flights from the United States to Cuba failed to become part of a Federal Aviation Administration funding bill, said Alex Burgos, a Rubio spokesman. Rubio will continue to offer the measure if the Obama administration doesn't stop plans to expand flights to countries, like Cuba, that are designated by the State Department as state sponsors of terrorism, he said. Last month, Obama last changed rules that allowed the charter flights to fly from only three cities: Miami, New York and Los Angeles. Tampa International and other airports in Florida applied for authorization from U.S. Customs and Border Protection to host the new flights. The Greater Tampa Chamber of Commerce on Wednesday asked to withdraw his amendment. "I sincerely hope that you will withdraw (the amendment) in order to more accurately reflect the resolve of the entire state," wrote Robert Rohrlack Jr., the chamber's CEO.

Rubio's attempt to block new flights to Cuba is rejected 02/16/11 [Last modified: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 8:02pm]

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...