Gulfside Regional Hospice was recently recognized for achieving Level 4 status in the We Honor Veterans program, a pioneering campaign developed by the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization in collaboration with the Department of Veterans Affairs.
There are four levels in the program, with only 70 hospices having reached the pinnacle Level 4 status. Currently, Gulfside Regional Hospice is the highest-level hospice program in Pasco, Pinellas and Hillsborough counties.
Since Gulfside began the We Honor Veterans program in September 2011, more than 350 veterans have been served through it. For information on the program, call Tracey Doyle toll-free at 1-800-561-4883. For information on Gulfside, call (727) 845-5707 or visit grhospice.org.
• • •
Leadership Pasco, a development program that explores issues through a series of seminars and hands-on activities, is accepting applications for its Class of 2013.
The program is open to people interested in community involvement and supporting the prosperity of Pasco County. Topics include leadership skills, the history of Pasco County, education, health care and social services, law enforcement and criminal justice, economic and business development, government and infrastructure.
Applications are due by June 1 and may be submitted at leadershippasco.com. For an application, send an email request to Cindy Ewald, Leadership Pasco recruitment chairwoman, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Joyce Simard, a geriatric consultant and author based in Land O'Lakes, was recently recognized by Provider Magazine, the leading long-term-care magazine, as one of "20 To Watch" in 2013. The magazine's editor in chief, Joanne Erickson, hopes the new feature will become an annual event.
Simard, who founded Namaste Care, spends time traveling, speaking and training folks about the program, which was designed to create a peaceful space for residents with advanced dementia.
Namaste has been found to reduce agitation and falls, as well as decrease and sometimes eliminate of the use of antipsychotic medications. The program has become popular not just in nursing homes, but also in assisted living and hospice.
To reach Simard, call (781) 588-0876 or visit namastecare.com.
The West Pasco Chamber of Commerce will host Business Development Week today through Feb. 1 with workshops and seminars to help anyone who wants to start or expand their business.
The event starts with a kick-off luncheon from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Monday at Spartan Manor, 6121 Massachusetts Ave., New Port Richey. Guest will be motivational speaker Mark Royals. Cost is $25. For information or to RSVP, call the chamber at (727) 842-7651.
Other workshops and events:
• "Technology Trends for your Business," a workshop and box lunch event, at noon Tuesday, Pasco-Hernando Community College, 10230 Ridge Road, New Port Richey. Cost $7 and includes box lunch. To RSVP, call (727) 842-7651.
• "Extreme Marketing Makeover," Tuesday at the Pasco-Hernando Community College conference center, 10230 Ridge Road, New Port Richey. Part 1 will be from 8:30 to 10 a.m.; Part 2 from 10:15 to 11:30 a.m. The speaker will be Gil Effron, author of How to Give Your Business an Extreme Marketing Makeover. To RSVP, call (727) 842-7651.
• Business Card Exchange/Mixer and Business to Business Expo, 5 to 8 p.m. Wednesday, Verizon Wireless Conference Center, 8718 Trouble Creek Road, New Port Richey. Tickets are $75 per table. To RSVP, call (727) 842-7651.
• "Success Stories Breakfast," 7:30 to 9 a.m. Thursday, Seven Springs Golf & Country Club, 3535 Trophy Blvd., New Port Richey. Cost $8 per person. Speakers include Tina Farrell of Farrell Roofing, Dee Thomas of Ewing & Thomas, and Sun Toyota representatives. To RSVP, call (727) 842-7651.
• "Successful Woman in Business Panel," a workshop and box lunch event, at noon Thursday at Pasco-Hernando Community College, 10230 Ridge Road, New Port Richey. Cost $7 and includes box lunch. To RSVP, call (727) 842-7651.
• Mix Up Your Marketing seminar, 8:30 a.m. Friday at Sun Toyota, 3001 U.S. 19, Holiday. To RSVP, call (727) 842-7651.
• • •
The Greater Zephyrhills Chamber of Commerce will host a ribbon-cutting ceremony at 6 p.m. Thursday at the newly expanded emergency department at Florida Hospital Zephyrhills, 7050 Gall Blvd., Zephyrhills. A grand opening ceremony will be from 5 to 7 p.m. Refreshments will be served. For information, call the chamber at (813) 782-1913.
• • •
Avalon Park West will host a family-friendly grand opening event from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Feb. 2 at 5116 Autumn Ridge Drive, Wesley Chapel, to unveil two new single-family model homes priced from the $160s.
The free event is open to the public and will include refreshments, family barbecue, a bounce park and gifts.
For information, call Stephanie Hodson at (813) 364-4918.
• • •
SCORE Chapter 439 is presenting a series of free business seminars:
• "Starting a Home Based Business," 5 to 6:45 p.m. Feb. 5, Lykes Memorial Library, main branch, 238 Howell Ave., Brooksville.
• "How to Really Start Your Own Business," 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Feb. 12, New Port Richey Library, 5939 Main St., New Port Richey.
• "How to Use the Internet in Your Business," 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Feb. 13, Hugh Embry Branch Library, 14215 Fourth St., Dade City.
• "How to Market in this Economy," 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Feb. 19, Centennial Park Branch Library, 5740 Moog Road, Holiday.
• "How to Apply for a Business Loan," 1 to 3 p.m. Feb. 23, Regency Park Library, 9701 Little Road, New Port Richey.
• "Advanced QuickBooks," 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Feb. 26, Land O'Lakes Branch Library, 2818 Collier Parkway, Land O'Lakes.
• "How to Really Start Your Own Business," 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Feb. 26, Hudson Regional Library, 8012 Library Road, Hudson.
• "How to Create a Business Plan," 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Feb. 27, South Holiday Branch Library, 4649 Mile Stretch Drive, Holiday.
To register, visit score439.org and click on the Local Workshops tab, or call the SCORE office at (727) 842-4638.
If you have business announcements you would like to share, mail the details to Jean Hayes, Business Digest, Pasco Times, 11321 U.S. 19, Port Richey, FL 34668. You may also email items to email@example.com or fax them to (352) 754-6133. Submitted items may be edited for length and clarity. Photos are published as space permits; they will not be returned.
• Trinity Positive Business Network: 8:30 a.m. Monday at Oasis Coffee Spot, 9213 Little Road in the Regency Shopping Center, New Port Richey. Call Ashok Visuvasam at (813) 333-1622.
• BNI Business by Referral: 7:30 a.m. Tuesday at Heritage Church, 1854 Oak Grove Blvd., Lutz. Call Alyssa Kaplan at 1-888-202-4614, ext. 806.
• BNI Outlook to Success: 7:30 a.m. Tuesday at Timber Greens Country Club, 6333 Timber Greens Blvd., New Port Richey. The cost is $8 and includes breakfast. Call (727) 847-3898.
• West Pasco Chapter of NPI: 11:45 a.m. Tuesday at Boulevard Beef & Ale, 6236 Grand Blvd., New Port Richey. Call Rob Marlowe at (727) 847-2424.
• West Pasco Business Association: 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at 2150 Seven Springs Blvd., Trinity. The association is made up of professionals who work together to promote one another's businesses. Visit westpascobusinessassociation.com.
• BNI Revenue Source: 7:30 a.m. Wednesday at Heritage Springs, 11345 Robert Trent Jones Parkway, Trinity. Call Alyssa Kaplan at 1-888-202-4614, ext. 806.
• Free Networking International: 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday at Cantina Laredo restaurant, 2000 Piazza Ave., Building 4, Suite 170, Wesley Chapel (at the Shops at Wiregrass). Attendees pay for their own lunch. Call Martine Duncan at (813) 929-6816.
• BNI Eagles: 7:15 a.m. Thursday at Spartan Manor, 6121 Massachusetts Ave., New Port Richey. Cost is $10 and includes breakfast. Call Clay Henderson at (727) 534-5191.
• BNI Referral Connection: 7:15 to 9 a.m. Thursday at Vallarta's Mexican Restaurant, 22948 State Road 54, Lutz. Call Rob Hamilton at (813) 431-5887.