How can keep I avoid picking up holiday pounds with all of the parties and gatherings and all of the food?
Well, you don't have to gain any pounds over the holidays even with all of the food and parties. Here are some tips from Dr. Margaret Lewin, medical director of Cinergy Health, to help avoid eating and drinking your way into the next clothing size:
• Eat a light snack an hour or so before parties so the hors d'oeurves aren't so tempting.
• Limit yourself to one alcoholic drink per party, then "making do" by sipping low-calorie drinks such as tonic or soda water with a splash of cranberry juice or a twist of lime.
• Park yourself next to the low-calorie nibbles (vegetables and dips), making only the occasional foray to the cheese and cracker trays.
• Start your holiday dinners with generous portions of the healthiest and least fattening foods; eat slowly; once your appetite has been sated, reach for small portions of the more calorie-laden choices if you MUST.
• Be satisfied with just tasting dessert or share with friends.