What tips can you provide me to protect myself from Medicare fraud?
Senior Medicare Patrol programs offer a variety of tips to guard seniors against Medicare fraud.
Here are some of the suggestions from SMP:
• Only visit your personal doctor, hospital or clinic for medical help. Only they should make referrals for special equipment, services or medicine.
• Never show anyone your medical or prescription records without first talking to your doctor or pharmacist.
• If someone calls and tries to threaten or pressure you into something, simply hang up the phone.
• If someone comes to your door and says they are from Medicare or some other health care company, shut the door.
• Don't keep mail in your mailbox for more than one day. People steal personal information right out of your mailbox.
For these and other tips, visit: www.smpresource.org and click the consumer protection tab.