What are signs that I should dump my doctor?
One of the first things is to trust your gut.
But we contacted Dr. Margaret Lewin, medical director of Cinergy Health, for some signs that it's time.
Here are indicators that Lewin says should prompt you to look for another doctor:
• Your doctor is rude or disrespectful.
• Your doctor doesn't listen carefully to your concerns and medical complaints.
• There are too many interruptions with non-urgent telephone calls.
• Your doctor consistently keeps you waiting an unacceptably long time.
• It takes too long to get an appointment.
• It's too hard to reach the doctor (or a knowledgeable assistant, such as a nurse practitioner) if a proposed treatment doesn't work or is causing side effects.
• There are inadequate arrangements for handling emergencies outside of regular office hours.