Make us your home page

Daily Q&A: What can you tell me about travel health insurance?

I'm planning a trip out of the country, what can you tell me about how medical insurance is handled in the event of an emergency?

Sean Shaw, the state insurance consumer advocate, says while most health insurers cover you in the United States, Canada and Mexico, you might not be covered elsewhere.

Shaw says if you need to be evacuated back to the United States, evacuation costs can "easily rise to $50,000."

So he recommends consumers take several steps before leaving the country to make sure they are covered on the health insurance front:

• Consumers should review their health insurance policies before traveling abroad to see if their policies cover emergencies. It is also vital that consumers review how they can access their benefits.

• Buying short-term emergency health coverage is a good idea for travel overseas; short-term coverage can be obtained by purchasing a travel insurance policy from a reputable health insurance agent.

• Consumers should not confuse travel insurance that covers health with insurance that covers the cost of the trip.

• Also, in the event emergency services are rendered overseas, consumers should obtain a copy of any medical records before leaving the overseas treating facility.

For more information about these and other tips, visit:

Question for the Consumer's Edge? Send it to or Questions are answered only in this daily feature.

Daily Q&A: What can you tell me about travel health insurance? 02/22/10 [Last modified: Monday, February 22, 2010 11:24am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours