Make us your home page
Instagram

DEO mum on status of payments to thousands of unemployed Floridians

Like many Florida workers with overdue unemployment claims, Jayne Evans thought relief was on the way when state officials announced Jan. 18 that they would immediately pay claims held up because of problems with a new $63 million website.

"This step should serve as a great relief for claimants who have faced hardships due to technical problems with the system," said Jesse Panuccio, who oversees the CONNECT website as executive director of the Department of Economic Opportunity.

But more than a week later, Evans, a former marketing director of a nonprofit, has yet to receive her $2,200 in late claims.

"I haven't gotten an email or a letter or any acknowledgement from anyone," said Evans, a Jacksonville area resident who has waited since October for her claims, which were confirmed by an appeals board. "They certainly have enough paperwork on me, so they know who I am."

If the DEO knows, it isn't saying. How many of the overdue claims have been paid, and for how much? How many have been denied, and why? Have any been paid?

DEO spokeswoman Jessica Sims issued this boilerplate answer: "In a continued effort to serve all claimants, on Saturday, January 18, DEO directed (project vendor) Deloitte to immediately program the system to pay all continued claims. … This measure was discussed and agreed upon."

U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson's office released a statement that recounted a conversation between U.S. Labor Secretary Thomas Perez and Nelson on Friday.

"Secretary Perez told me Friday that his staff has advised the state's Department of Economic Opportunity to pay some 11,000 claimants who have not been receiving their checks. He also told me the state has been asked to re-evaluate about 10,000 claims that were denied."

Nelson got federal officials to come to Florida because of widespread reports that thousands of workers couldn't collect their payments because of problems with the website.

What's confusing is that the actual number of backlogged cases — those held up for longer than a week — is 60,000, according to testimony Panuccio gave senators earlier this month.

If that's true, the DEO has talked about only 21,000 cases, so what about the other 39,000? And why were 10,000 claims denied? Did the U.S. Department of Labor disagree with the denials, as suggested by Nelson's statement that the feds are asking the state to "re-evaluate" those denials?

Perhaps most crucial for those recipients who have waited this long is the language used in Panuccio's Jan. 18 announcement that promised payment "immediately."

"The U.S. Department of Labor today advised that Florida could immediately pay continuing claims held in adjudication for more than seven days. Accordingly, DEO has directed Deloitte to immediately program the system to pay all claimants in adjudication who have been waiting longer than one week."

So federal officials advised the DEO that it "could immediately pay continuing claims," but did it decide not to?

Things are already tense between Gov. Rick Scott's administration and the U.S. Department of Labor. The feds finance Florida's unemployment compensation system and threatened to revoke that funding or deliver some other punitive measures when it objected last spring to barriers the state has placed between recipients and unemployment reinsurance by requiring online claims.

When will claimants such as Evans get paid?

"I know that they know that I'm eligible," Evans said. "So I'm just waiting now."

DEO mum on status of payments to thousands of unemployed Floridians 01/27/14 [Last modified: Monday, January 27, 2014 9:02pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Pasco county lawyer disbarred for taking woman's money

    Real Estate

    NEW PORT RICHEY — The Florida Supreme Court on Thursday disbarred Pasco County attorney and former congressional candidate Constantine Kalogianis.

    The Florida Supreme Court on Thursday disbarred Pasco County attorney and former congressional candidate Constantine Kalogianis. 
[2016 booking photo via Pasco County Sheriff's Office]
  2. Rick Scott signs package of tax breaks

    State Roundup

    TALLAHASSEE — Gov. Rick Scott signed a tax cut package Thursday that — while vastly scaled back from what he wanted — eliminates the so-called "tampon tax" and offers tax holidays for back-to-school shoppers and Floridians preparing for hurricane season.

    Florida Governor Rick Scott signed a tax cut package that will cost state coffers $91.6 million during the upcoming year. [Joe Raedle | Getty Images]
  3. FBI probes fraudster's alleged church scam following Tampa Bay Times report

    Real Estate

    PLANT CITY — Once again, the FBI is investigating felon fraudster Victor Thomas Clavizzao.

    The FBI is investigating convicted mortgage fraudster Victor Thomas Clavizzao on new allegations following a Tampa Bay Times report.
[TImes file photo]

  4. Tampa Bay is ground-zero for assignment of benefits cases over broken auto glass

    Banking

    When Rachel Thorpe tried to renew her auto insurance last year for her Toyta RAV4, she was stunned to see her monthly premium had nearly doubled to $600. The Sarasota driver was baffled since her only recent claim was over a broken windshield.

    Auto glass lawsuits filed by a third party (through what's known as assignment of benefits) are skyrocketing in Tampa Bay.
[Times file photo]
  5. Siesta Beach tops Dr. Beach's rankings of best locations in America

    Tourism

    Three beaches in Florida made it on a highly coveted list of the top 10 in America this year, ranked by Dr. Stephen Leatherman, a.k.a. "Dr. Beach."

    This May 18, 2017 photo shows Siesta Beach on Siesta Key in Sarasota, Fla. Siesta Beach is No. 1 on the list of best beaches for the summer of 2017 compiled by Stephen Leatherman, also known as Dr. Beach, a professor at Florida International University. [Chris O'Meara | Associated Press]