Make us your home page
Instagram

Duped clients sue GunnAllen over broker's scheme

GunnAllen Financial says it shouldn't be held responsible for the actions of former broker Frank

Bluestein, who secretly sold phony investments to hundreds of clients before the scheme was uncovered last year. But a growing number of clients disagree.

Last week, two former Bluestein clients filed suit in Detroit federal court against GunnAllen and others, accusing the Tampa brokerage firm of failing to adequately supervise its top-earning broker. The purported class-action suit estimates as many as 1,000 investors may have lost as much as $350-million on the so-called Ponzi scheme, though not all made their investments through Bluestein. Also named were E-M Management Corp., which created the allegedly fraudulent investments, and Questar Capital Corp., Bluestein's prior broker-dealer.

Meanwhile, roughly 70 arbitration claims have been filed against

GunnAllen and others with the Federal Industry Regulatory Authority, a nongovernmental entity formerly known as the National Association of Securities Dealers. Like the federal lawsuit, the arbitration claims seek damages from GunnAllen for failing to detect Bluestein's alleged scheme.

GunnAllen executives say that while they sympathize with Blue-

stein's clients, the brokerage firm is not legally responsible for their losses and is merely being targeted because of its deep pockets. In an interview Monday, general counsel David Jarvis said there was no way the firm could have known Bluestein, who ran a branch office in suburban Detroit, was secretly selling unapproved, unregistered securities to some of his GunnAllen clients. He added that Questar — which served as Blue-

stein's broker-dealer from 2000 to 2005 — also never detected the scheme.

"There's nothing in the rules that says, 'We're going to hold you responsible for active concealment by one of your reps,' " Jarvis said. "We are fervent in our belief that our supervisory systems and our effectuation of the policies and procedures is more than adequate."

West Bloomfield, Mich., lawyer Tony Trogan, who served as co-counsel for the arbitration claimants, said he finds it hard to believe that GunnAllen didn't know about the illegal investments. "You're talking about hundreds of investors. How could this guy have been selling these for 2½ years and they not seen it? The answer is they couldn't have, or at least that's our belief," he said.

Attorney David M. Foster of Farmington Hills, Mich., who represents Bluestein, said the question of his client's — and GunnAllen's — culpability may be moot. Edward May, the

E-M Management Corp. principal who allegedly designed the fraudulent investments

Bluestein sold, is the "primary actor," Foster said. And according to the U.S. Supreme Court, he added, there is no liability for "aiders and abettors" under federal securities law.

Bluestein, who resigned from GunnAllen in September, hasn't lost his zest for investing. He recently helped launch FreedomRoadTrading.com, a stock-picking Web site where he is known by his first and middle names, Frank Jullian, and shares his "million-dollar secrets" for a price. Meanwhile, a local Fox TV news reporter who recently inducted Bluestein into his "Hall of Shame" has broadcast several followup items on the man he calls "Frankie Blue."

According to last week's lawsuit, Bluestein told clients they were buying into partnerships that supplied telecommunications services to well-known hotel chains and casinos. He guaranteed that the investors, mostly retirees from the Detroit area, would get back not only their principal but roughly two years' worth of monthly profit-sharing checks, plus up to a dozen more years of nonguaranteed payments.

In reality, new investments were simply used to pay off earlier ones. The Ponzi scheme allegedly lasted for nearly 12 years until mid 2007, when funds ran out and checks began to bounce.

"Many of (the investors) were victims of their own greed,"

GunnAllen's Jarvis said.

Scott Barancik can be reached at barancik@sptimes.com or

(727) 893-8751.

Duped clients sue GunnAllen over broker's scheme 03/10/08 [Last modified: Monday, November 7, 2011 3:38pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. U.S. Rep. Charlie Crist and estranged wife Carole put Beach Drive condo on the market

    Real Estate

    ST. PETERSBURG — U.S. Rep. Charlie Crist and his estranged wife, Carole, have put their Beach Drive condo on the market for $1.5 million.

    Former Florida Gov. and current U.S. Rep. Charlie Crist and his estranged wife, Carole, have put their condo in downtown St. Petersburg on the market for $1.5 million. [Courtesy of Rhonda Sanderford]
  2. First WannaCry, now cyberattack Petya spreads from Russia to Britain

    Business

    Computer systems from Russia to Britain were victims of an international cyberattack Tuesday in a hack that bore similarities to a recent one that crippled tens of thousands of machines worldwide.

    A computer screen cyberattack warning notice reportedly holding computer files to ransom, as part of a massive international cyberattack, at an office in Kiev, Ukraine, on Tuesday.  A new and highly virulent outbreak of malicious data-scrambling software appears to be causing mass disruption across Europe.
[Oleg Reshetnyak via AP]
  3. Higher Social Security payouts help Florida post a big jump in personal income

    Personal Finance

    Personal income grew 1.3 percent in Florida in the first quarter of this year, a four-way tie among all states for second-fastest growth behind Idaho.

  4. Trigaux: Task now is for Water Street Tampa to build an identity

    Business

    Adios, VinikVille! Hello Water Street Tampa.

    An aerial rendering of the $3 billion redevelopment project that Jeff Vinik and Strategic Property Partners plan on 50-plus acres around Amalie Arena.
[Rendering courtesy of Strategic Property Partners]
  5. Unlicensed contractor accused of faking death triggers policy change at Pinellas licensing board

    Local Government

    The unlicensed contractor accused of faking his death to avoid angry homeowners has triggered an immediate change in policy at the Pinellas County Construction Licensing Board.

    Last year Glenn and Judith Holland said they paid a contractor thousands of dollars to renovate their future retirement home in Seminole. But when they tried to move in on Dec. 14, they said the home was in shambles and uninhabitable. They sent a text message to contractor Marc Anthony Perez at 12:36 p.m. looking for answers. Fourteen minutes later, they got back this text: "This is Marc's daughter, dad passed away on the 7th of December in a car accident. Sorry." Turns out Perez was still alive. Now the Hollands are suing him in Pinellas-Pasco circuit court. [LARA CERRI   |   Times]