Make us your home page
Instagram

Second Florida Blueberry Festival deemed a success

BROOKSVILLE — This past weekend's second annual Florida Blueberry Festival in Brooksville had a lot riding on it. Not only was it a calling card to potential visitors from all over Central Florida, but also it had to make a profit to return in the future.

It turns out, the event was a winner on both counts, said Michael Heard, chairwoman of Florida Blueberry Festival Inc.

A preliminary tally of gate receipts showed that festival pulled in between 45,000 and 50,000 visitors during its two days, she said. That should ensure a profit that will be divided between chosen charities.

"We're feeling very positive about how we did," Heard said Monday. "The vendors I talked to were pleased and told us they want to come back again next year."

Despite the threat of showers Saturday morning, the festival gates opened to a crowd eager to enter downtown Brooksville and munch on baked blueberry goods and shop at the booths of about 140 vendors.

Brooksville Mayor Lara Bradburn said many of the visitors commented on the city's attractiveness.

"I don't care who you are, when someone from out of town tells you they love your city, it makes you feel proud," Bradburn said.

Heard said she heard only a few complaints about the festival's new $5 adult admission charge and that most visitors seemed to feel it was in line with what other events of its type.

"People who don't understand probably don't know that it costs a lot of money to put this together," Heard said. "We couldn't continue to do this if we went broke every year."

Heard said that many of the people who attended complimented her volunteer staff on this year's changes. Most people seemed glad they could park closer to the downtown Brooksville. And the elimination of last year's "Blueberry Bucks," which patrons needed to buy food and beverages, probably accounted for an increase in sales, Heard said.

Heard said she and the festival have already looked at implementing more improvements next year, including re-routing the festival grounds to a more level area in order to better accommodate handicapped patrons.

"We're only in our second year, so there's always room for improvement," Heard said. "We're committed to make the blueberry festival the best we can make it."

Logan Neill can be reached at lneill@tampabay.com or (352) 848-1435.

Second Florida Blueberry Festival deemed a success 05/06/13 [Last modified: Monday, May 6, 2013 10:13pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Higher Social Security payouts help Florida post a big jump in personal income

    Personal Finance

    Personal income grew 1.3 percent in Florida in the first quarter of this year, a four-way tie among all states for second-fastest growth behind Idaho.

  2. U.S. Rep. Charlie Crist and estranged wife Carole put Beach Drive condo on the market

    Real Estate

    ST. PETERSBURG — U.S. Rep. Charlie Crist and his estranged wife, Carole, have put their Beach Drive condo on the market for $1.5 million.

    U.S. Rep. Charlie Crist and his estranged wife, Carole, have put their Beach Drive condo in Parkshore Plaza on the market for $1.5 million. {Courtesy of Amy Lamb/Native House Photography]
  3. Trigaux: Task now is for Water Street Tampa to build an identity

    Business

    Adios, VinikVille! Hello Water Street Tampa.

    An aerial rendering of the $3 billion redevelopment project that Jeff Vinik and Strategic Property Partners plan on 50-plus acres around Amalie Arena.
[Rendering courtesy of Strategic Property Partners]
  4. Unlicensed contractor accused of faking death triggers policy change at Pinellas licensing board

    Local Government

    The unlicensed contractor accused of faking his death to avoid angry homeowners has triggered an immediate change in policy at the Pinellas County Construction Licensing Board.

    Last year Glenn and Judith Holland said they paid a contractor thousands of dollars to renovate their future retirement home in Seminole. But when they tried to move in on Dec. 14, they said the home was in shambles and uninhabitable. They sent a text message to contractor Marc Anthony Perez at 12:36 p.m. looking for answers. Fourteen minutes later, they got back this text: "This is Marc's daughter, dad passed away on the 7th of December in a car accident. Sorry." Turns out Perez was still alive. Now the Hollands are suing him in Pinellas-Pasco circuit court. [LARA CERRI   |   Times]
  5. SeaWorld shares drop Monday to 2017 low after disclosure of federal subpoena

    Tourism

    The Orlando parent company of SeaWorld and Busch Gardens theme parks saw its stock drop 3.5 percent Monday to $15.10, its lowest price of this year.

    Killer whales perform at Shamu Stadium at SeaWorld in Orlando in 2011, before public pressure was placed on the theme park company to curtail its orca shows.SeaWorld has since announced an end to the traditional killer whale entertainment  at its theme parks. [AP Photo/Phelan M. Ebenhack]