Make us your home page
Instagram

Testimony begins in appeal of vote against Safety Harbor apartments

Developers want to build a new apartment complex on the site of the old Firmenich Citrus Center, a 34-acre property east of the northeast corner of State Road 590 and McMullen-Booth Road in Safety Harbor.

JIM DAMASKE | Times

Developers want to build a new apartment complex on the site of the old Firmenich Citrus Center, a 34-acre property east of the northeast corner of State Road 590 and McMullen-Booth Road in Safety Harbor.

CLEARWATER — A state administrative law judge heard four hours of testimony Tuesday in a developer's appeal of a Pinellas County Commission decision to block a proposed luxury apartment complex in Safety Harbor opposed by neighbors.

In May commissioners voted against the proposed 246-unit complex at the defunct Firmenich Citrus Center on State Road 590. It had been approved by Safety Harbor commissioners.

County commissioners said they wanted to retain industrially-zoned land to prevent Pinellas County from becoming a "bedroom community."

Witnesses included Robert Pergolizzi, a consultant for developer the Richman Group. He said the company made multiple changes to the plan to try to appease neighbors.

Real estate agent Scott Cullen, who is marketing the site for the property owners, said he has advertised the site to 5,000 potential buyers for more than five years. Of the nine offers he has received, he said most wanted to build supermarkets or residential developments. He argued the property is not appropriate for industrial use.

Testimony will continue Wednesday starting at 8:30 a.m. on the fourth floor of the Pinellas County Courthouse, 315 Court St.

Testimony begins in appeal of vote against Safety Harbor apartments 08/27/13 [Last modified: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:19pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. U.S. Rep. Charlie Crist and estranged wife Carole put Beach Drive condo on the market

    Real Estate

    ST. PETERSBURG — U.S. Rep. Charlie Crist and his estranged wife, Carole, have put their Beach Drive condo on the market for $1.5 million.

    Former Florida Gov. and current U.S. Rep. Charlie Crist and his estranged wife, Carole, have put their condo in downtown St. Petersburg on the market for $1.5 million. [Courtesy of Rhonda Sanderford]
  2. First WannaCry, now cyberattack Petya spreads from Russia to Britain

    Business

    Computer systems from Russia to Britain were victims of an international cyberattack Tuesday in a hack that bore similarities to a recent one that crippled tens of thousands of machines worldwide.

    A computer screen cyberattack warning notice reportedly holding computer files to ransom, as part of a massive international cyberattack, at an office in Kiev, Ukraine, on Tuesday.  A new and highly virulent outbreak of malicious data-scrambling software appears to be causing mass disruption across Europe.
[Oleg Reshetnyak via AP]
  3. Higher Social Security payouts help Florida post a big jump in personal income

    Personal Finance

    Personal income grew 1.3 percent in Florida in the first quarter of this year, a four-way tie among all states for second-fastest growth behind Idaho.

  4. Trigaux: Task now is for Water Street Tampa to build an identity

    Business

    Adios, VinikVille! Hello Water Street Tampa.

    An aerial rendering of the $3 billion redevelopment project that Jeff Vinik and Strategic Property Partners plan on 50-plus acres around Amalie Arena.
[Rendering courtesy of Strategic Property Partners]
  5. Unlicensed contractor accused of faking death triggers policy change at Pinellas licensing board

    Local Government

    The unlicensed contractor accused of faking his death to avoid angry homeowners has triggered an immediate change in policy at the Pinellas County Construction Licensing Board.

    Last year Glenn and Judith Holland said they paid a contractor thousands of dollars to renovate their future retirement home in Seminole. But when they tried to move in on Dec. 14, they said the home was in shambles and uninhabitable. They sent a text message to contractor Marc Anthony Perez at 12:36 p.m. looking for answers. Fourteen minutes later, they got back this text: "This is Marc's daughter, dad passed away on the 7th of December in a car accident. Sorry." Turns out Perez was still alive. Now the Hollands are suing him in Pinellas-Pasco circuit court. [LARA CERRI   |   Times]