Make us your home page
Instagram

Greek Cabinet approves new round of austerity measures

Protesters listen Thursday to a speech by Greek composer Mikis Theodorakis during a peaceful rally against new austerity measures.

Associated Press

Protesters listen Thursday to a speech by Greek composer Mikis Theodorakis during a peaceful rally against new austerity measures.

ATHENS, Greece — The Greek Cabinet on Thursday approved and submitted to Parliament a new round of painful austerity measures and a $73 billion privatization drive that are essential for the debt-ridden country to continue receiving funds from its international bailout.

Greece is lagging behind with reforms promised in return for last year's $160 billion package of rescue loans from its European partners and the International Monetary Fund. Fellow eurozone governments have warned that if the country does not enforce new austerity, it will be cut off from aid.

Without the next $17 billion installment from its rescue loans due in July, Greece, which remains stuck in recession and locked out of international bond markets, will default on its massive debts.

No specific date has been set for a vote, but Cabinet officials said they expected it to be held before June 28.

The governing Socialists hold a six-seat majority in the 300-member legislature, but many party backbenchers have strongly criticized the new austerity plan. However, none of the disgruntled Socialist lawmakers have openly threatened to vote against the measures.

New plans include a $9.4 billion package of cuts and tax hikes for this year and a renewed $32.15 billion austerity drive for 2012-2015. Officials said all Greeks earning more than $11,500 to $14,500 annually will be charged an extra tax worth up to 3 percent of their income every year for the next four years, while the sales tax on restaurants and bars will rise from 13 to 23 percent.

Greek Cabinet approves new round of austerity measures 06/09/11 [Last modified: Thursday, June 9, 2011 8:54pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Love My Dog owner promises to treat dogs like her own

    Business

    SOUTH TAMPA — Lots of folks daydream about quitting their jobs to play with dogs, but shortly after moving to Florida 15 years ago, Natalie Conner actually did it.

    Some happy customers at the grand opening of Love My Dog Pet Resort’s third location in South Tampa on Oct. 14.
  2. Family brings edible cookie dough to Collins Produce stand

    Business

    VALRICO — Like anybody with a sweet tooth, Scott Laviano has been known to sneak behind his wife, Rose, while she bakes cookies and steal one of the dough balls from the baking sheet before it hits the oven.

    Scott, Rose and Scottie Laviano have opened Eddie Bull’s Cookie Dough inside Valrico’s Collins Produce.
  3. Philanthropist Helen DeVos, wife of Orlando Magic owner and mother of Betsy, dies at 90

    Obituaries

    GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — Helen J. DeVos, a philanthropist from western Michigan known for her support of children's health, Christian education and the arts, has died at age 90, her family said Thursday.

    Orlando Magic owner Rich DeVos, left, waves to fans while watching court side with his wife, Helen, during the first half of an NBA basketball game against the Chicago Bulls in Orlando. The family of Helen DeVos said the philanthropist from western Michigan known for her support of children's health, Christian education and the arts has died. She was 90. Her family said she died Wednesday, Oct. 18, of complications from a stroke following a recent diagnosis of myeloid leukemia. [Associated Press]
  4. Former Jabil executive again found guilty in 2008 double-murder

    Criminal

    Patrick Evans, the former Jabil executive charged with the deaths of his wife and her friend, was found guilty by a jury Wednesday night.

    Patrick Evans talks with Allison Miller, one of his three public defenders, before jury selection continues in his trial Wednesday 10/11/2017. Patrick Evans, a former Jabil executive charged with killing his estranged wife and her friend almost ten years ago, was back in court for a second trial after his original death sentence conviction was overturned by the Florida Supreme Court.
  5. SeaWorld cuts 350 jobs across company, including in Orlando

    Business

    ORLANDO — SeaWorld, which has struggled with declining attendance, announced Wednesday it is cutting 350 positions.

    Kalia, a 12-year-old orca whale, during rehearsals for the upcoming Orca Encounter at SeaWorld San Diego, on May 18, 2017. [Howard Lipin | San Diego Union-Tribune/TNS]