VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: SCORE Chapter 439 is looking for volunteers to mentor small businesses. For information, visit score439.org and click on "Volunteer."
The Auto Club Group, formerly AAA Auto Club South, recently promoted three people.
Lori Kwiatkowski was named field manager for the Spring Hill branch, 1410 Pinehurst Drive, the Port Richey branch, 10532 Devco Drive, and the Trinity branch, 10700 State Road 54, Suites 102 and 103. Kwiatkowski has 28 years experience in travel and 20 years of management with AAA.
Patti Armstrong was named membership manager for the Spring Hill, Port Richey and Trinity branch offices, in addition to continuing her role as insurance manager at the Trinity branch. Armstrong began her career as an insurance sales agent in the Port Richey branch 16 years ago.
Sharon Brandon has accepted responsibility for the Port Richey insurance operation, in addition to continuing her role as insurance manager at the Spring Hill branch. Brandon, who began her career as an insurance agent in the Spring Hill branch, has been with AAA 13 years.
PUBLIC SPEAKING COURSE: The Greater Hernando County Chamber of Commerce will offer its annual course in public speaking from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. beginning Monday and continuing each Monday through Oct. 7, at the chamber's training room, 15588 Aviation Loop Drive, south of Brooksville.
The course consists of five weekly sessions of two hours each and will be taught by Vince Vanni. Topics will include dealing with fear, projecting confidence, preparing and delivering the speech, and how to properly use visual aids.
A certificate of completion will be awarded to those who attend four of the five classes. The cost is $60 for chamber members, $120 for nonmembers. To register, visit hernandochamber.com/events or call (352) 796-0697.
CHAMBER RIBBON-CUTTINGS: The Greater Hernando County Chamber of Commerce will have three ribbon-cuttings this week:
• Helicon Foundation Repair Systems, at the chamber's office, 15588 Aviation Loop Drive, south of Brooksville, at noon Tuesday. Call Katie Stiles, (352) 567-1065.
• Placement Solutions, at Career Central, 7361 Forest Oaks Blvd., Spring Hill, at 11:30 a.m., Thursday. Call Colleen Hopkins, (727) 420-0903.
• Salon Halo, 2157 Mariner Blvd., Spring Hill, at 1 p.m. Saturday. The business will celebrate its second anniversary and have an open house from noon to 6 p.m. that day. Call Ryan DiBenedetto, (352) 666-4256.
FREE SMALL BUSINESS SEMINARS: SCORE Chapter 439 is presenting several free seminars.
• "How to Apply for a 501(c)(3)," 5 to 6:45 p.m. Tuesday, Spring Hill Branch/Harold G. Zopp Memorial Library, 9220 Spring Hill Drive.
• "Advanced QuickBooks," 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Sept. 17, New Port Richey Library, 5939 Main St.
• "How to Really Start Your Own Business," 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Sept. 18, South Holiday Branch Library, 4649 Mile Stretch Drive, Holiday.
• "Introduction to QuickBooks," 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Sept. 24, Hudson Regional Library, 8012 Library Road, Hudson.
• "E-Marketing Concepts," 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Sept. 26, Regency Park Library, 9701 Little Road, New Port Richey.
To register and for additional information, visit score439.org and click on the "Local Workshops" tab, or call the SCORE office at (727) 842-4638.
LEADERSHIP PROGRAM: The Greater Hernando County Chamber of Commerce will present the "Disney on Leadership" series at the chamber office, 15588 Aviation Loop Drive, south of Brooksville.
The series, presented by Royce Decker, reviews past, present and future business practices that have made the Disney name synonymous with exemplary products and services. The goal is to provide a solid foundation for customer service, loyalty and satisfaction.
• Session 1 will be from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday or from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Sept. 24.
• Session 2 will be from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Oct. 11 or from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Oct. 29.
• Session 3 will be from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Nov. 5 or from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nov. 15.
• Session 4 will be from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Dec. 13 or from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Dec. 17.
The cost for chamber members is $15 per class or $45 for the four-part series. The cost for nonmembers is $20 or $65 for the series. Register online at hernandochamber.com/events. For information, call the chamber at (352) 796-0697.
FREE BUSINESS CONSULTATIONS: The Small Business Development Center at the University of South Florida and the Greater Hernando County Chamber of Commerce provide free consultations to small businesses and entrepreneurs in the county.
A business consultant is available at the chamber office to provide access to all of the center's services. The center's Hernando office is at the chamber office, 15588 Aviation Loop Drive, south of Brooksville.
To schedule a counseling session, call Jerry Karp at (352) 796-0697.
SAVE THE DATE: The Greater Hernando County Chamber of Commerce's 2013 Beach Bash: HANG 10 Hernando! will be from 5 to 11 p.m. Oct. 4 at the Hernando Beach Club, 3145 Flamingo Blvd., Hernando Beach.
Tickets are $15 per person, which includes food, drinks, entertainment, dunk tank and other activities. DJ Beach Bum will provide music outside from 5 to 11 p.m. A band will perform inside from 7 to 11 p.m.
Sponsorships are available: longboard for $1,000; shortboard for $500; lifeguard for $250; and business for $100. For information about the bash, go to hernandochamber.com.
If you have business announcements to share with our readers, mail the details to Jean Hayes, Business Digest, Hernando Times, 15365 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville, FL 34613-6174. You may also email firstname.lastname@example.org or fax them to (352) 754-6133. Items may be edited for length and clarity. Photos are published as space permits; they will not be returned.