Make us your home page
Instagram

Jabil's hint of downturn drops stock, as analysts fret its Apple business may slow

ST. PETERSBURG — Global electronics manufacturer Jabil posted second-quarter earnings Wednesday that inspired CEO Mark Mondello to say he was "pleased" with the results but prompted analysts to fret that the company may be losing momentum

The chief concern: Apple.

Jabil makes cases and other parts for Apple's hugely successful iPhones, among other products. Apple has ranked as one of Jabil's chief customers for years and remains a key reason behind its growth.

Jabil shares fell 1.2 percent over the past year but dropped 8 percent to $20.20 in after-hours trading Wednesday.

"I'm pleased to report second-quarter results that were largely in line with our guidance and expectations," Mondello said. While praising the "outstanding" performance of one of Jabil's business segments, he added a cautionary remark about Jabil's "DMS", or "diversified manufacturing segment" — Jabil-speak for the business that includes Apple. That segment, he said, "grew modestly as we faced a slight downturn in product demand late in our fiscal quarter specific to our mobility business."

For the next quarter, Jabil projected core profit of 12 to 18 cents a share — sharply lower than analyst estimates — on $4.1 billion to $4.3 billion in revenue, with diversified manufacturing services revenue projected to fall 10 percent from the same period last year. At this pace, Jabil is now likely to hit $18.5 billion in revenues for this year, while earlier being on track to top $20 billion.

In Wednesday's second-quarter announcement, Jabil reported net income of $78.9 million on revenues of $4.4 billion. It remains one of Tampa Bay's largest public companies with more than 140,000 employees across two dozen countries.

Jabil's hint of downturn drops stock, as analysts fret its Apple business may slow 03/16/16 [Last modified: Wednesday, March 16, 2016 7:49pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Cooking passion spurs owner to pull open AJ's Kitchen Drawer

    Business

    TAMPA — After graduating from the University of Tampa in May 2016, AJ Albrecht spent four months traveling around Southeast Asia and Australia.

    AJs Kitchen Drawer offers a wide variety of unique kitchenware items, such as handcrafted knives and wooden items, as well as local gourmet products. Photo by Danielle Hauser
  2. Charter school finds home in University Mall

    Business

    TAMPA — A new charter school recently opened in Hillsborough County for the 2017-2018 school year.

    Excelsior Prep, a new charter school, has found a home inside the University Mall. Photo courtesy of Excelsior Prep.
  3. Across Tampa Bay, local commercial banks and credit unions appear healthy

    Banking

    In another sign of economic vitality, Florida's home-grown banking industry demonstrated strong bench strength in the latest quarterly analysis by Bauer Financial. The vast majority of commercial banks with headquarters in Florida received five "stars" from Bauer, which is the highest ranking of health on its 0-to-5 …

    Several years ago, First Home Bank in Seminole faced regulators breathing down its neck for inaedquate controls and financial weakness. Under CEO 
Anthony N. Leo, the bank has rebounded. It received a top-rated "5" star rating from Bauer Financial in the latest quarter. Most area banks are doing better these days. [SCOTT KEELER      |     TIMES]
  4. Do you want Walmart in your home when you're not?

    Retail

    Delivery workers who drop off Walmart groceries may soon also bring them into your kitchen and unload them into your refrigerator, even if you're not home.

    Delivery workers who drop off Walmart groceries may soon also bring them into your kitchen and unload them into your refrigerator, even if you're not home.
[ALESSANDRA DA PRA   |   Times file photo]

  5. Trumps travel ban to be replaced by restrictions tailored to certain countries

    Nation

    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump's ban on travelers from six majority-Muslim countries is set to be replaced as soon as this weekend with more targeted restrictions on visits to the United States that would vary by country, the New York Times reports, citing officials familiar with the plans.

    President Donald Trump's ban on travelers from six majority-Muslim countries is set to be replaced as soon as this weekend with more targeted restrictions on visits to the United States that would vary by country, officials familiar with the plans said Friday. The new restrictions, aimed at preventing security threats from entering the United States, could go into effect Sunday after the conclusion of a 90-day policy review undertaken as part of the administration's original travel ban. Though the restrictions would differ for each country, people living in the targeted nations could be prevented from traveling to the United States or could face increased scrutiny as they seek to obtain a visa. [Associated Press]