Sponsors are needed for the Greater Zephyrhills Chamber of Commerce's third annual Pigz in Z'Hills event, a backyard and professional barbecue cookoff competition and blues festival to be held Oct. 27 at the Charles B. Krusen Memorial Field, 4626 Krusen Field Road, near 20th Street and Alston Avenue, Zephyrhills.
For information, call the chamber at (813) 782-1913 or visit zephyrhillschamber.org.
• • •
H&R Block is collecting school supplies for the foster children program. Needed items include notebook paper, wide-ruled paper, three-prong pocket folders, No. 2 pencils, glue sticks, correction fluid, highlighters, Fiskars scissors, index cards, and hygiene items such as deodorant, shampoo and conditioner.
Items may be dropped off at the Embassy Crossing office at 9680 U.S. 19 in Port Richey, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays; 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesdays; and from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays. Items can be dropped off from 1 to 5 p.m. on Fridays at the office at 9037 U.S. 19 in Port Richey.
For information, call (727) 859-1040 or (727) 849-1040.
• • •
William Ryan Homes recently launched its presales program for the final phase of single-family and executive homes at Ashton Oaks, just off State Road 54, east of Meadow Point Boulevard, Wesley Chapel.
The sales office is in the Juno model home at 3827 Ashton Oaks Blvd., Wesley Chapel, and is open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday and Saturday; noon to 6 p.m. Friday and Sunday.
For additional information, call (813) 788-4663 or visit williamryanhomes.com.
• • •
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point was recently awarded nine disease-specific care certifications from the Joint Commission.
The nine chronic care management programs earned the Gold Seal of Approval for health care quality. The hospital's primary stroke center was awarded an advanced certification. The following eight programs received certifications: acute myocardial infarction, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, coronary artery bypass graft, heart failure, joint replacement hip, joint replacement knee, lung cancer and pneumonia.
The Joint Commission launched its Disease-Specific Care Certification Program in 2002. It is the first program of its kind in the country to certify disease management programs.
• • •
The Greater Dade City Chamber of Commerce announces that its 2013 Kumquat Festival was selected by the Southeast Tourism Society as a "Top 20 Event."
The 16th annual event will be held Jan. 26 in Dade City. The Southeast Tourism Society is dedicated to the promotion of travel in the Southeast, recognizing the importance of festivals, events and attractions in the 12 states that make up the region.
Leading up to the festival will be the kumquat pageant, recipe contest and quilt contest, the merchants' window decorating contest, and grove and packing house tours.
Historic downtown Dade City will be transformed into a gigantic marketplace focused on local businesses, hundreds of specialty vendors, dozens of partner sponsors, and the down-home, old Florida experience the Kumquat Festival has come to mean.
For more information, visit dadecitychamber.org.
• • •
Homebuilder Suntech Properties announces the opening of its model homes in the Deerfield Lakes community of Pasco County.
The company offers single-family homes designed to fill the needs of first-time buyers, growing families and empty-nesters. The community is located just north of State Road 52 on Oak Ramble Drive in the Land O'Lakes area.
For information, email email@example.com.
• • •
The Greater Zephyrhills Chamber of Commerce is accepting nominations from members as well as the public for the 2012 Business and Community Awards.
Nominees do not have to be chamber members. The deadline for nominee forms is Tuesday. Award winners will be announced Sept. 20 during the annual Member Appreciation and Awards Banquet.
The categories for nominations include "Small Business of the Year," "Large Business of the Year," the "Diamond Award," "Innovative Business of the Year," "Leadership in Youth Involvement," "Leadership in Government," "Community Service Award," "Economic Development Champion," "Citizen of the Year" and the "Alice Hall Community Service Award."
For nomination forms, visit zephyrhillschamber.org. For information, email firstname.lastname@example.org with "Community Awards" in the subject line.
Dr. Jennifer Laman recently opened her practice at Oakstead Professional Center, 19409 Shumard Oak Drive, Suite 103, Land O'Lakes. Laman, board certified in family medicine and osteopathic manipulative treatment, will also be on staff at the Medical Center of Trinity.
Laman received her medical degree from Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine in Bradenton, and recently completed her residency at Largo Medical Center.
While serving her residency, Laman was recognized for her leadership by being named chief resident of family medicine and chief administrative resident for Largo Medical Center. She also received the Resident of the Year award for 2011 and 2012.
Laman is accepting new patients. For information, call (813) 749-7152.
The Greater Zephyrhills Chamber of Commerce will have its Ambassador luncheon at noon Tuesday at the chamber office, 38550 Fifth Ave., Zephyrhills.
The event, sponsored by CF Industries, is free for ambassadors and $10 for guests. For information, call (813) 782-1913 or email email@example.com.
• • •
The West Pasco Chamber of Commerce will have two ribbon cuttings this week:
• J's Pharmacy, 6416 Ridge Road, Port Richey, 11:30 a.m. Tuesday.
• My Network One, 8143 State Road 54, New Port Richey, 11:30 a.m. Wednesday.
For information, call the chamber at (727) 842-7651.
• • •
Service Corps of Retired Executives Pasco-Hernando Chapter 439 is presenting a series of free seminars:
• "Using the Internet in your Business," 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Hugh Embry Branch Library, 14215 Fourth St., Dade City.
• "How to Market in this Economy," 5 to 7 p.m. Aug. 14, Lykes Memorial Library, main branch, 238 Howell Ave., Brooksville.
• "Introduction to Quickbooks," 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Aug. 14, Land O'Lakes Branch Library, 2818 Collier Parkway.
• "How to Qualify as a Not-for-Profit," 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Aug. 15, South Holiday Branch Library, 4649 Mile Stretch Drive.
• "How to Successfully Obtain a Business Loan," 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Aug. 21, New Port Richey Library, 5939 Main St.
• "How to Really Start Your Own Business," 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Aug. 21, Hudson Regional Library, 8012 Library Road.
• "How to Market in this Economy," 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Aug. 23, New River Branch Library, 34043 State Road 54, Zephyrhills.
• "How to Really Start Your Own Business," 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Aug. 28, Centennial Park Branch Library, 5740 Moog Road, Holiday.
To register, visit score439.org and click on the Local Workshops tab, or call the SCORE office at (727) 842-4638.
• • •
The Greater Zephyrhills Chamber of Commerce will have its Chamber Mixer at 5 p.m. Aug. 16 at Westbrooke Manor, 6701 Dairy Road, Zephyrhills.
The event offers an evening of networking, food and drinks. RSVP no later than Friday; (813) 782-1913.
• • •
The Student Activities Office of Pasco-Hernando Community College will host its Business Expo event at various PHCC campuses throughout August. All events, which are free and held outdoors, will begin at 10 a.m. and end at 2 p.m.
• Aug. 20 at the Dade City Campus, at the ramp near the library.
• Aug. 21 at the Brooksville Campus, on the field.
• Aug. 22 at the Spring Hill Campus, in the center courtyard.
• Aug. 23 at the New Port Richey Campus, outside the library.
PHCC will provide one 6-foot table and two chairs for each business. Electricity, if requested, may be available for displays. Tents (10 by 10 feet) will also be provided on a first-come basis.
To reserve a space for your business, RSVP at phcc.edu/rsvp. For additional information and questions, email Amber Watson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have business announcements you would like to share, mail the details to Jean Hayes, Business Digest, Pasco Times, 11321 U.S. 19, Port Richey, FL 34668.
You may also email items to email@example.com or fax them to (352) 754-6133. Submitted items may be edited for length and clarity.
Photos are published as space permits; they will not be returned. Networking opportunities
• Trinity Positive Business Network: 8:30 a.m. Monday at Oasis Coffee Spot, 9213 Little Road in the Regency Shopping Center, New Port Richey. Call Ashok Visuvasam at (813) 333-1622.
• BNI Outlook to Success: 7:30 a.m. Tuesday at Timber Greens Country Club, 6333 Timber Greens Blvd., New Port Richey. Speakers will be Judy Williams of A+ Tax & Accounting and Ziona Kopelovich of Debt Relief Offices of Tampa. The cost is $8 and includes breakfast. Call (727) 847-3898.
• Pasco Hernando NPI Networking Group: 11:45 a.m. Tuesday at Boulevard Beef & Ale, 6236 Grand Blvd., New Port Richey. Call Rob Marlowe at (727) 847-2424.
• Trinity Business Association: 5:30 p.m. Tuesday at Fox Hollow Country Club, 10050 Robert Trent Jones Parkway, Trinity. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• West Pasco Business Association: 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at 2150 Seven Springs Blvd., Trinity. The association is made up of professionals who work together to promote one another's businesses. Visit westpascobusinessassociation.com.
• BNI Revenue Source Chapter: 7:30 to 9 a.m. Wednesday at Heritage Springs Country Club, 11345 Robert Trent Jones Parkway, Trinity. Visitors welcome. Cost with breakfast is $10. Call David Randall at (727) 842-7744.
• Free Networking International: 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday at Cantina Laredo restaurant, 2000 Piazza Ave., Building 4, Suite 170, Wesley Chapel (at the Shops at Wiregrass). Attendees pay for their own lunch. Call Martine Duncan at (813) 929-6816.
• Neighborhood Networks Meeting: 11:45 a.m. Wednesday at Trio's Restaurant at Quality Inn and Suites, 5316 U.S. 19, New Port Richey. Call Maryann Wilkes at (813) 264-6108 or visit ourneighborhoodnetworks.com.
• BNI Eagles: 7:15 a.m. Thursday at Spartan Manor, 6121 Massachusetts Ave., New Port Richey. Cost is $10 and includes breakfast. Call Sheryl Ryan at (352) 556-7711.
• BNI Referral Connection: 7:15 to 9 a.m. Thursday at Los Vallarta's Mexican Restaurant, 22948 State Road 54, Lutz. Call Rob Hamilton at (813) 431-5887.
• Applebee's Networking Group: Business card and brochure exchange from 11:15 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Thursday at Applebee's, 8537 Little Road, New Port Richey. The event is sponsored by Synergy Ad Specialties. Cost is $12. For reservations, call the West Pasco Chamber of Commerce at (727) 842-7651 by Wednesday.
• West Pasco Young Professionals Networking Group: 6 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Fox Hollow Golf & Country Club, 10050 Robert Trent Jones Parkway, Trinity. In lieu of a sit down dinner, a variety of hors d'oeuvres will be served. In addition, a wine tasting will be held. The cost is $11 per person. Meetings are the second Thursday of the month. Call (727) 842-7651. RSVP at (727) 842-7651.