Suncoast Schools Federal Credit Union recently presented a check for $10,000 to the Pasco Economic Development Council for the microlending program. Key members of the PEDC program and board were on hand to accept the check, including Michael Cox, Pasco EDC growth task force chairman; Melva McKay Bass, senior vice president of member service operations with Suncoast Schools FCU; Pasco County Commissioner Pat Mulieri; Pat Denmark, regional vice president of Suncoast Schools FCU; and John Hagen, Pasco EDC president and CEO. The program's goal is to provide assistance to Pasco County business owners, create jobs and stimulate the community.
• • •
The Greater Zephyrhills Chamber of Commerce announced the winners of its 2011 Holiday Lighting Contest. Residences, condominiums/mobile homes, park club houses and businesses were judged on first impression and originality.'
Melissa and Wade Bishop of 39103 Manor Drive, took first place honors in the Residential category. Lamplighter Furniture at 38515 5th Ave., placed first among Businesses. In the category of condominiums/mobile homes, first place went to David Bretz of 4421 Lane Road in Hillcrest RV Park.
• • •
Julius Matos, former Major League Baseball player, recently announced the opening of his new training facility — JMBC Baseball — at 8251 Kristel Circle, Port Richey. The facility is the new home for Julius Matos Baseball Clinic and his baseball training programs. For information, call (727) 534-6822.
• • •
Pasco-Hernando Community College is seeking business partners from Pasco and Hernando counties to host student interns starting in January. Interns dedicate 90 hours over 15 weeks, working as an integral part of a business related to their course of study.
Each semester PHCC places approximately 40 interns in area businesses through its career and testing services center. For information on becoming an internship host, call Jacqueline Eden, assistant director of career and testing services, at (727) 816-3334.
The Central Pasco, Dade City, Wesley Chapel, West Pasco and Zephyrhills chambers of commerce will be closed Monday in observance of the New Year's holiday.
• • •
The Greater Zephyrhills Chamber of Commerce will have its Ambassador's Luncheon at noon Tuesday at the chamber office, 38550 Fifth Ave., Zephyrhills. The event is sponsored by CF Industries. For information, call Wanda at (813) 782-1913.
• • •
The Greater Zephyrhills Chamber of Commerce will have its monthly Chamber Breakfast at 7 a.m. Thursday at Golden Corral, 6855 Gall Blvd., Zephyrhills. The guest speaker will be J.D. Porter of Wiregrass Ranch. The event is sponsored by the Greater Zephyrhills Chamber. For information, call (813) 782-1913.
• • •
Women's Connection of New Port Richey will have its monthly meeting from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Jan. 9 at Spartan Manor, 6121 Massachusetts Ave., New Port Richey. Guest speaker Kay Brow will speak on the topic, "Surviving Life's Roller Coaster." A feature presentation will be given by Phyllis Changnon on accessorizing with scarves. The cost is $15 and includes the program, speaker and luncheon. RSVP to Linda at (727) 856-4042 or Ruth at (727) 375-9873 by today.
• • •
Service Corps of Retired Executives Pasco-Hernando Chapter 439 is presenting a series of free seminars:
• "How to Successfully obtain a Business Loan," from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. Jan. 10 at the Lykes Memorial Library, main branch, 238 Howell Ave., Brooksville. Learn about start-up requirements, mature businesses and purchasing existing businesses.
• "How to Qualify as a Not-For-Profit," from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Jan. 10 at the Hudson Regional Library, 8012 Library Road, Hudson. Learn how to complete the IRS 501c3 application and more.
• "How to Market in this Economy," from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Jan. 11 at Hugh Embry Branch Library, 14215 Fourth St., Dade City. Learn how and where to find some answers about what works and doesn't, how to write a sales and marketing plan and more.
• "How to Really Start Your Own Business," from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Jan. 11 at the South Holiday Branch Library, 4649 Mile Stretch Drive, Holiday. Learn key issues for starting your own business, including business plans, cash flow charts and finding money.
To register, visit score439.org and click on the Local Workshops tab, or call the SCORE office at (727) 842-4638.
• • •
Calusa Business & Professional Women will meet at 11:30 a.m. Jan. 20 at Seven Springs Golf and Country Club, 3535 Trophy Blvd., New Port Richey. This month's program speaker will be Rondi Frisch, owner of Efficiency Factor.
BPW luncheons are open to the public, and guests are welcome. Meals are $12.95 per person. For information, call Joanne Grassi at (727) 856-9595.
If you have business announcements you would like to share with our readers, mail the details to Jean Hayes, Business Digest, Pasco Times, 15365 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville, FL 34613-6174. You may also email items to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax them to (352) 754-6133. Items may be edited for length and clarity. Photos are published as space permits; they will not be returned.
• Business Development Council: 8:15 a.m. Tuesday at Bob Evans Restaurant, 9115 U.S. 19, Port Richey, just south of Gulf View Square. The business networking group, hosted by Superior Bank, promotes individual business members. The group meets the second Tuesday of each month. Call Crystal Olson at (727) 376-1030.
• Pasco Hernando NPI Networking Group: 11:45 a.m. Tuesday at Boulevard Beef & Ale, 6236 Grand Blvd., New Port Richey. Call Rob Marlowe at (727) 847-2424.
• West Pasco Business Association: 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at 2150 Seven Springs Blvd., Trinity. The association is made up of professionals who work together to promote each other's businesses. The group meets every Tuesday. Visit westpascobusiness association.com.
• Trinity Business Association: 5:30 p.m. Tuesday at Fox Hollow Country Club, 10050 Robert Trent Jones Parkway, Trinity. Meetings are on the first and third Tuesday of each month. Email Info@TrinityBusinessAssociation.com.
• BNI Revenue Source: 7:30 to 9 a.m. Wednesday at Heritage Springs Country Club, 11345 Robert Trent Jones Parkway, Trinity. Visitors welcome. Cost, including breakfast, is $10. Call David Randall at (727) 842-7744.
• Central Pasco Chamber of Commerce Wednesday Morning Networking Group: 7:45 to 9 a.m. Wednesday at Hungry Harry's Famous Bar-B-Que, 3116 Land O'Lakes Blvd., Land O'Lakes. Meets the first and third Wednesday of each month. A full breakfast is served at no cost. To RSVP, call the chamber at (813) 909-2722.
• Free Networking International: 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday at Cantina Laredo restaurant, 2000 Piazza Ave., Building 4, Suite 170, Wesley Chapel (at the Shops at Wiregrass). Attendees pay for their own lunch. Call group director Martine Duncan, co-owner of the Theater Doctor, at (813) 929-6816.
• Neighborhood Networks: 11:45 a.m. Wednesday at Trio's Restaurant at Quality Inn & Suites, 5316 U.S. 19, New Port Richey. The group meets every Wednesday. Call Maryann Wilkes at (813) 264-6108 or visit ourneighborhood networks.com.
• BNI Eagles: 7:15 a.m. Thursday at Spartan Manor, 6121 Massachusetts Ave., New Port Richey. Cost is $10 (includes breakfast). The group meets every Thursday. For information or a reservation, call Sheryl Ryan at (352) 556-7711.
• BNI Referral Connection: 7:15 to 9 a.m. Thursday at Los Vallarta Mexican Restaurant, 22948 State Road 54, Lutz. Call Capt. Rob Hamilton at (813) 431-5887.
• Women Helping Women: 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday at Fox Hollow Golf and Country Club, 10050 Robert Trent Jones Parkway, Trinity. Cost for luncheon is $11. Meets the first Thursday of each month. No charge to join. For information or to RSVP, call Gigi D. Evans at (727) 945-9669.