Managers and executives with Ovations Food Services in Lutz recently joined general managers and senior staff members from the company's offices across the country to participate in the Feeding America Tampa Bay event, helping to sort donated food for those in need.
The company made the event a team-building challenge between members of its eastern operations and its western operations. The team was expected to sort 15,000 pounds of food but instead sorted more than 51,000 pounds. On behalf of the winning team, Ovations presented a check for $7,000 to Feeding America Tampa Bay. For every dollar raised, Feeding America can return seven meals to the community, resulting in 49,000 meals for the Tampa Bay area.
Ovations Food Services is a nationally ranked Tampa-based food service management company. Locally, Ovations manages the food service operations at Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo, the Lakeland Center, Ruth Eckerd Hall and Capitol Theatre.
The local office is located at 18228 U.S. 41, Lutz. For information, contact Kristen Thompson at (813) 909-2178, ext. 123.
• • •
Humana, Tampa Bay's largest Medicare health benefits company, has opened a new Tampa Bay sales and service office at 9550 U.S. 19 N, Port Richey.
The new office, which will be open from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, will provide information and assistance to residents interested in health benefits and insurance, including Medicare, individual, vision, dental and life coverage.
For more information, visit humana-medicare.com.
• • •
Nominations for 2013 King Pithla and Queen Chasco are being accepted. Nominations should be emailed to Sylvia Perez, executive director at the Lighthouse for the Visually Impaired and Blind, at SPerez@lvib.org. The deadline is Feb. 22. For information, call Tina Shelton, event chairwoman, at (727) 439-0516.
The 28th annual Chasco Coronation Ball will begin at 6 p.m. April 5 at Spartan Manor, 6121 Massachusetts Ave., New Port Richey. The event is hosted by the Lighthouse for the Visually Impaired and Blind.
The ball, a black tie event and the kickoff to the Chasco Fiesta, is held to recognize local philanthropy and to crown a King Pithla and Queen Chasco, two community leaders who give of their time and talents to the many nonprofit organizations in the community.
Proceeds from the event benefit the Lighthouse for the Visually Impaired and Blind. Tickets are $100 per person. For information or to RSVP, contact Tina Shelton at (727) 439-0516 or email@example.com.
• • •
Leadership Pasco, a development program that explores issues through a series of seminars and hands-on activities, is accepting applications for its Class of 2013.
The program is open to people interested in community involvement and supporting the prosperity of Pasco County. Topics include leadership skills, the history of Pasco County, education, health care and social services, law enforcement and criminal justice, economic and business development, government and infrastructure.
Applications are due by June 1 and may be submitted online at leadershippasco.com.
For an application, send an email request to Cindy Ewald, Leadership Pasco recruitment chairwoman, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr. Dorothy Christman, board certified family medicine physician, has joined the West Coast Medical Group at 2114 Seven Springs Blvd., New Port Richey.
Christman received her medical degree from Eastern Virginia Medical School in Norfolk, Va., and completed internship and residency with the University of South Florida/Morton Plant Mease Family Medicine Residency Program.
Christman can be reached at (727) 375-2719.
Avalon Park West will host a family-friendly grand opening from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. today at 5116 Autumn Ridge Drive, Wesley Chapel, to unveil two new single-family model homes priced from the $160s.
The free event is open to the public and will include refreshments, family barbecue, a bounce park and gifts.
For information, call Stephanie Hodson at (813) 364-4918.
• • •
SCORE Chapter 439 is presenting a series of free business seminars:
• "Starting a Home Based Business," 5 to 6:45 p.m. Tuesday, Lykes Memorial Library, main branch, 238 Howell Ave., Brooksville.
• "How to Really Start Your Own Business," 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Feb. 12, New Port Richey Library, 5939 Main St., New Port Richey.
• "How to Use the Internet in Your Business," 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Feb. 13, Hugh Embry Branch Library, 14215 Fourth St., Dade City.
• "How to Market in this Economy," 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Feb. 19, Centennial Park Branch Library, 5740 Moog Road, Holiday.
• "How to Apply for a Business Loan," 1 to 3 p.m. Feb. 23, Regency Park Library, 9701 Little Road, New Port Richey.
• "Advanced QuickBooks," 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Feb. 26, Land O'Lakes Branch Library, 2818 Collier Parkway, Land O'Lakes.
• "How to Really Start Your Own Business," 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Feb. 26, Hudson Regional Library, 8012 Library Road, Hudson.
• "How to Create a Business Plan," 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Feb. 27, South Holiday Branch Library, 4649 Mile Stretch Drive, Holiday.
To register, visit score439.org and click on the Local Workshops tab, or call the SCORE office at (727) 842-4638.
• • •
The Greater Zephyrhills Chamber of Commerce will have its Ambassadors Luncheon from noon to 1 p.m. Tuesday at the chamber office, 38550 Fifth Ave., Zephyrhills.
The event, sponsored by CF Industries, is free for ambassadors and $10 for guests. For additional information about the event, call (813) 782-1913 or email email@example.com.
• • •
The Greater Zephyrhills Chamber of Commerce will have three ribbon-cutting ceremonies and open house events during the coming week:
• Fed-Pro Security, 5306 Fifth Ave., Zephyrhills, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday.
• Internal Medicine of Pasco, 7860 Gall Blvd., Zephyrhills, from 4 to 7 p.m. Thursday.
• Pasco Turf & Tractor — Carts Unlimited, 5117 Gall Blvd., Zephyrhills, from 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday.
• • •
The Greater Zephyrhills Chamber of Commerce will have its business breakfast from 7 to 8:30 a.m. Thursday at the Golden Corral, 6855 Gall Blvd., Zephyrhills.
The event is sponsored by AmeriLife & Health. The cost is $7 for members and $5 for ambassadors. For information, visit zephyrhillschamber.org or call (813) 782-1913.
• • •
The West Pasco Chamber of Commerce will have a ribbon-cutting ceremony at 11:30 a.m. Thursday at CARES Elfers Center, 4136 Barker Drive, New Port Richey. For information, call the chamber at (727) 842-7651.
If you have business announcements you would like to share, mail the details to Jean Hayes, Business Digest, Pasco Times, 11321 U.S. 19, Port Richey, FL 34668. You may also email items to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax them to (352) 754-6133. Submitted items may be edited for length and clarity. Photos are published as space permits; they will not be returned.
• Trinity Positive Business Network: 8:30 a.m. Monday at Oasis Coffee Spot, 9213 Little Road in the Regency Shopping Center, New Port Richey. Call Ashok Visuvasam at (813) 333-1622.
• BNI Business by Referral: 7:30 a.m. Tuesday at Heritage Church, 1854 Oak Grove Blvd., Lutz. Call Alyssa Kaplan at 1-888-202-4614, ext. 806.
• BNI Outlook to Success: 7:30 a.m. Tuesday at Timber Greens Country Club, 6333 Timber Greens Blvd., New Port Richey. The cost is $8 and includes breakfast. Call (727) 847-3898.
• Trinity Business Association: 5:30 p.m. Tuesday at Fox Hollow Country Club, 10050 Robert Trent Jones Parkway, Trinity. Email email@example.com.
• West Pasco Chapter of NPI: 11:45 a.m. Tuesday at Boulevard Beef & Ale, 6236 Grand Blvd., New Port Richey. Call Rob Marlowe at (727) 847-2424.
• West Pasco Business Association: 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at 2150 Seven Springs Blvd., Trinity. The association is made up of professionals who promote one another's businesses. Visit westpascobusiness association.com.
• BNI Revenue Source: 7:30 a.m. Wednesday at Heritage Springs, 11345 Robert Trent Jones Parkway, Trinity. Call Alyssa Kaplan at 1-888-202-4614, ext. 806.
• Wednesday morning Networking Group: 7:45 a.m. Wednesday at Hungry Harry's Family Bar-B-Que, 3116 Land O'Lakes Blvd. (in the Lakehouse). The event sponsor is A.L. Saland Insurance Solutions. The cost is $5 and includes breakfast. For information, call the Central Pasco Chamber of Commerce at (813) 909-2722.
• Free Networking International: 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday at Cantina Laredo restaurant, 2000 Piazza Ave., Building 4, Suite 170, Wesley Chapel (at the Shops at Wiregrass). Attendees pay for their own lunch. Call Martine Duncan at (813) 929-6816.
• BNI Eagles: 7:15 a.m. Thursday at Spartan Manor, 6121 Massachusetts Ave., New Port Richey. Cost is $10 and includes breakfast. Call Clay Henderson at (727) 534-5191.
• BNI Referral Connection: 7:15 to 9 a.m. Thursday at Vallarta's Mexican Restaurant, 22948 State Road 54, Lutz. Call Rob Hamilton at (813) 431-5887.
• Women Helping Women: 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday at Fox Hollow Golf and Country Club, 10050 Robert Trent Jones Parkway, Trinity. Cost for luncheon is $11. Meets the first Thursday of each month. No charge to join. For information or to RSVP, call Gigi D. Evans at (727) 945-9669.