Learning how to use Twitter, maximizing chamber of commerce memberships and learning to follow wage and hour laws are a few highlights of this year's annual Business Development Week, presented by the West Pasco Chamber of Commerce and sponsored by numerous organizations including the St. Petersburg Times. Activities begin Monday with a kickoff lunch featuring motivational speaker Donna Long, author of Jukebox Journey to Success. Here's the rest of the week's schedule. To sign up or to get more information, call (727) 842-7651 or visit www.westpasco.com.
At Spartan Manor, 6121 Massachusetts Ave., New Port Richey:
• Kickoff luncheon: 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. featuring motivational speaker Donna Long. Cost: $20.
At the New Port Richey Library, 5939 Main St.:
• Social Networking Web Sites to Promote Your Business: 6 to 8 p.m. Presenters are Marcy Kielar, Mike Smith, Pat Patterson and Mary Ann Balbo.
At Pasco-Hernando Community College's west campus, 10230 Ridge Road, New Port Richey (events are at the conference center unless otherwise indicated):
• Making the Most of Your Chamber Membership: 8:30 to 10 a.m.
• Marketing Yourself in Today's Tough Job Market: 10:15 to 11:45 a.m. Speaker is Tim McClain.
• Saving Time & Money Using Modern Technology (Skype, surveying and blogging): panel discussion and box lunch from noon to 1:30 p.m. Cost: $6. Panelists are Karen Michalak, Steve Zoni and Scott Fore.
• Networking for Results: 2 to 4 p.m. Speaker is Tom Fleming.
• Social Networking Web Sites to Promote Your Business, Part 2: 6 to 8 p.m. in Room J 120.
At Marchman Technical Education Center, 7825 Campus Drive, New Port Richey:
• Intro to Quickbooks: 8:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. SCORE workshop by Mike Kouremetis and George Motran.
• Advanced Record-Keeping & Quickbooks: 10:15 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. SCORE workshop by Mike Kouremetis and George Motran.
• High School Sessions — Luncheon with the New Port Richey Rotary Club: Noon to 1:30 p.m. Cost: $12. Speaker is Charley Belcher from Fox 13 News.
• How to Create a Successful Business Model: 1:45 p.m. to 3:15 p.m. SCORE workshop by Dick Hall.
• How to Successfully Obtain a Business Loan: 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. SCORE workshop by Hap Fairman.
At Timber Greens Country Club, 6333 Timber Greens Blvd., New Port Richey:
• Business Card Exchange/Mixer: 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
At Seven Springs Golf and Country Club, 3535 Trophy Blvd., New Port Richey:
• Success Stories Breakfast with Seven Springs Rotary Club: 7:30 to 9 a.m. Cost: $7. Speakers include Gary Gann of Creative Institute of Dental Arts, Tom Maki of Beacon Woods Florist and Steve Thompson of Master Mechanics.
At Pasco-Hernando Community College's west campus conference center, 10230 Ridge Road, New Port Richey:
• Marketing Your Business Today: 10 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. Speaker is Bill Thompson.
• Successful Business Women of Tampa Bay: box lunch from noon to 1:30 p.m. Cost: $6 per person. Please RSVP at (727) 842-7651. Panelists are Jeanne T. Tate, managing partner of Jeanne T. Tate P.A. and president of Heart of Adoptions; Susan Jacobs, founder and chief executive officer of Wheels of Success; and Christine Cooper, president of Cooper Financial Services.
• What Your Attorney, CPA and Banker Want You to Know About Wage and Hour: 1:45 p.m. to 3:15 p.m. Presenters are Alfred W. Torrence P.A., Chuck Hollweg and Richard G. Buschart CPA, J.D.
• Retirement Plans for Small Businesses & Saving Your Tax Dollars Using Retirement Plans: 3:30 to 5 p.m. Presenters are Margie Pagano and Linda Hawkins.
At various local high schools:
• School Board Community Night: High schools will provide information and breakout sessions for area business and community members along with the local middle and elementary schools that feed into them. Locations and times can be obtained by contacting a local high school or visiting www.pasco.k12.fl.us.
At Hyundai of Wesley Chapel, 27000 Wesley Chapel Blvd. (on State Road 54 west of Interstate 75):
• How to Really Start Your Own Business: 8 to 9:15 a.m. SCORE workshop by Jim Waters.
• Marketing Your Business for Success: 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. SCORE workshop by Bill Brydia.
• Using the Internet in Your Business: 10:45 a.m. to noon. SCORE workshop by Jim Karam.
At Tampa Bay Golf and Country Club, 11500 Old Tampa Bay Drive, San Antonio:
• Pasco Economic Development Council Luncheon: noon to 1:30 p.m. Cost: $25. RSVP toll-free at 1-888-607-2726. Advance registration required, as there is limited seating. Speakers are Jim McGraw of KMK Consulting and Stuart Rogel of Tampa Bay Partnership. Topic: Tampa Bay's Economic Blueprint — Where Does Pasco Fit?
At Gulf View Square, 9409 U.S. 19, Port Richey:
• Business Expo: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.