MILITARY FRIENDLY SCHOOL: Saint Leo University was recently named a Military Friendly School by Victory Media, which assists military personnel in transitioning into civilian life.
The award honors the top 20 percent of colleges, universities and trade schools in the country that are doing the most to embrace America's military service members, veterans and spouses as students and ensure their success on campus.
For information about the award, visit militaryfriendlyschools.com. For information on the school, visit saintleo.edu.
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: SCORE Chapter 439 is looking for volunteers to put their business skills to work helping local businesses. SCORE mentors donate their time and talent to small businesses. For information, visit score439.org and click on "Volunteer."
CHAMBER'S 2013 OFFICERS AND BOARD OF DIRECTORS: The Greater Zephyrhills Chamber of Commerce installed its 2013 offices and board of directors during the chamber's annual Member Appreciation and Awards Banquet on Sept. 19.
New officers include: Carolyn Sentelik (Florida Hospital Zephyrhills Foundation), president; John Scott (Gulf Coast Financial Strategies), vice president/treasurer; Gary Hatrick (High Road Photography), secretary.
New directors include: Amy Chappell, Darrell Pennington, David Loomis, David West, Deborah Densmore, John Kinsman, Jon Dearolf, Kevin Ryman, Rebecca Gaddis, Skip Skairus, Tim Linville and Wade Thomas.
The Greater Zephyrhills Chamber of Commerce is a membership-based association of businesses, organizations and individuals working together to preserve and continually enhance the quality of life in the community of Zephyrhills and surrounding area of East Pasco County.
DOCTOR RECEIVES DIABETES RECOGNITION: Dr. Nicholas Strobbe of the Gulf Coast Medical Center, board certified in internal medicine, was recently recognized by the National Committee for Quality Assurance and the American Diabetes Association, for providing quality care to his patients with diabetes.
Gulf Coast Medical Center has two locations: Port Richey and Spring Hill. For information, visit gcmc1.com.
AMBASSADOR LUNCHEON: The Greater Zephyrhills Chamber of Commerce will have its monthly Ambassador Luncheon at noon Tuesday at the chamber office, 38550 Fifth Ave., Zephyrhills. The event is sponsored by CF Industries. Call (813) 782-1913.
40TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION: Pasco Regional Medical Center will host its 40th Anniversary Celebration from 5 to 7 p.m. Tuesday at 13100 Fort King Road, Dade City.
The event is free and open to the public. The celebration will include hors d'oeuvres, hospital tours and a little nostalgia; stroll down memory lane as the hospital recalls its beginnings. For information, visit PascoRegionalMC.com.
OPEN HOUSE & RIBBON CUTTING: Wells Fargo Advisors will have an open house and ribbon-cutting ceremony from 4 to 7 p.m. Wednesday at 11300 State Road 54, Trinity.
Witness a rare and historic event. See the legendary Wells Fargo Stagecoach as it rolls into town. For information, call (727) 815-3000.
FALL FESTIVAL: Gulfside Regional Hospice and JSA Medical Group of Port Richey will host a fall festival from 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. Friday at JSA's office, 10435 U.S. 19, Port Richey.
The family-friendly event, which is free and open to the public, includes autumn-inspired food and drinks, as well as cotton candy, popcorn and snow cones, games, raffles and giveaways.
To RSVP, call toll-free at 1-877-261-9597 by Tuesday.
GRAND OPENING: Tampa-based A & B Insurance and Financial Group, a contracted general agency for Florida Blue, will have a grand opening from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at its new office, 5417 U.S. 19, Suite 106, New Port Richey.
The event includes food from Don's Dogs, music, entertainment and activities for the kids. For information, call (727) 849-9500.
COMMUNITY EXPO: Trinity Business Association will host its 2013 Community Expo from 5 to 8 p.m. Oct. 7 at Fox Hollow Golf Club, 10050 Robert Trent Jones Parkway, Trinity.
The family-friendly event is free and open to the public. The event includes vendors, giveaways and a silent auction to benefit TBA's scholarship program.
For information, visit TrinityBusinessAssociation.com.
WOMEN'S CONNECTION OF NEW PORT RICHEY: Toymakers presentation, creating hand-carved wooden toys for the needy and homeless, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Oct. 14 at Spartan Manor, 6121 Massachusetts Ave., New Port Richey.
In addition, guest speaker Carolyn Ersign will speak on the topic, "Orphan Finds Belonging." Cost $15 and includes program, luncheon and speaker. To RSVP, call Linda at (727) 856-4042 by Oct. 12.
FREE SMALL BUSINESS SEMINARS: SCORE Chapter 439 is presenting several free seminars.
• "Building the Plan for a Successful Business," 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Centennial Park Branch Library, 5740 Moog Road, Holiday.
• "E-Marketing Concepts," 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Oct. 8, Land O'Lakes Branch Library, 2818 Collier Parkway, Land O'Lakes.
• "Advanced QuickBooks," 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Oct. 9, South Holiday Branch Library, 4649 Mile Stretch Drive, Holiday.
• "Increase Sales-Master Selling Skills," 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Oct. 12, New Port Richey Library, 5939 Main St., New Port Richey.
• "Advanced QuickBooks," 5:30 to 6:45 p.m. Oct. 15, Lykes Memorial Library Brooksville main branch, 238 Howell Ave., Brooksville.
• "Tips for Successful Grant Writing," 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Oct. 15, Hudson Regional Library, 8012 Library Road, Hudson.
• "Increase Sales-Master Selling Skills," 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. Oct. 26, Hugh Embry Branch Library, 14215 Fourth St., Dade City.
• "Using the Internet in Your Business," 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Oct. 31, New River Branch Library, 34043 State Road 54, Wesley Chapel.
To register and for additional information, visit score439.org and click on the "Local Workshops" tab, or call the SCORE office at (727) 842-4638.
SMALL-BUSINESS CONSULTATIONS: Free consultations for small businesses and entrepreneurs are available by appointment from 9 to 11 a.m. on the second and fourth Tuesdays of each month in the Greater Zephyrhills Chamber of Commerce conference room at 38550 Fifth Ave.
The chamber offers the free and confidential consultations in partnership with the Small Business Development Center at the University of South Florida.
To get information or to schedule an appointment, call toll-free 1-888-929-2221.
Save the date
NATIONAL PHILANTHROPY DAY LUNCHEON: The Nature Coast chapter of the Association of Fundraising Professionals will host its National Philanthropy Day luncheon at noon Nov. 12 at the Spartan Manor, 6121 Massachusetts Ave., New Port Richey.
Nominations are now being accepted. Categories include: philanthropist of the year, philanthropic corporation, philanthropic small business, philanthropic service organization, volunteer and youth.
Sponsorships are available. Contact Craig McCart at (727) 834-5479.
HARVEST FESTIVAL/BUSINESS EXPO: The 10th annual Harvest Festival/Business Expo will be from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 2 at Zephyr Park, 38116 Fifth Ave., Zephyrhills.
The free event is a faith and family event offering live Christian entertainment, exhibitors and businesses, in addition to food, games, giveaways and family fun.
For information, call (813) 317-4975 or email [email protected]
PIGZ IN Z'HILLS BBQ & BLUES: The Greater Zephyrhills Chamber of Commerce's fourth annual Pigz in Z'Hills BBQ & Blues will be Jan. 18 at the Zephyrhills Municipal Airport, 39450 South Ave. Visit zephyrhillschamber.org.
If you have business announcements you would like to share, mail the details to Jean Hayes, Business Digest, Pasco Times, 11321 U.S. 19, Port Richey, FL 34668. You may also email items to [email protected] or fax them to (352) 754-6133. Submitted items may be edited for length and clarity. Photos are published as space permits; they will not be returned.
Networking and mixers
• Trinity Positive Business Network: 8:30 a.m. Monday at Oasis Coffee Spot, 9213 Little Road, in Regency Shopping Center, New Port Richey. Call Ashok Visuvasam at (813) 333-1622.
• West Pasco Chamber of Commerce: Free speed networking event for young professionals at 6 p.m. Monday at Boulevard Beef & Ale, 6236 Grand Blvd., New Port Richey. The event is sponsored by Shelton, Thompson & Von Sick. Call (727) 842-7651.
• BNI Business by Referral: 7:30 a.m. Tuesday at Heritage Church, 1854 Oak Grove Blvd., Lutz. Call Alyssa Kaplan toll-free at 1-888-202-4614, ext. 806.
• BNI Outlook to Success: 7:30 a.m. Tuesday at Timber Greens Country Club, 6333 Timber Greens Blvd., New Port Richey. The cost is $8 and includes breakfast. Call (727) 847-3898.
• Trinity Business Association: 5:30 p.m. Tuesday at Fox Hollow Country Club, 10050 Robert Trent Jones Parkway, Trinity. Networking begins at 5:30 p.m., meeting starts at 6 p.m. Guests welcome. Cost is $12. Call Ginny Pierce at (727) 433-4073.
• West Pasco Business Association: 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at 2150 Seven Springs Blvd., Trinity. The association is made up of professionals who promote one another's businesses. Visit westpascobusiness association.com.
• BNI Revenue Source: 7:30 a.m. Wednesday at Heritage Springs, 11345 Robert Trent Jones Parkway, Trinity. Call Alyssa Kaplan toll-free at 1-888-202-4614, ext. 806.
• Pasco Business Connections: 7:30 a.m. Wednesday at the Broken Yolk, 3350 Grand Blvd., Holiday. The group meets Wednesdays. Email [email protected]
• Wednesday Morning Networking Group: 7:30 a.m. Wednesday at Hungry Harry's Family Bar-B-Que, 3116 Land O'Lakes Blvd. (in the Lakehouse). The event sponsor is C&C Insurance Solutions. The cost is $5 and includes breakfast. For information, call the Central Pasco Chamber of Commerce at (813) 909-2722.
• Free Networking International: 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday at Cantina Laredo restaurant, 2000 Piazza Ave., Building 4, Suite 170, Wesley Chapel (at the Shops at Wiregrass). Attendees pay for their own lunch. Call Martine Duncan at (813) 929-6816.
• West Pasco Business Network: Noon to 1 p.m. Wednesday at Blue Dolphin, 8825 State Road 52, Hudson. The network is made up of West Pasco business leaders committed to helping each other grow and develop their businesses. For more information, visit westpascobusiness.org or call Bill Pearce at (727) 277-2617.
• Greater Zephyrhills Chamber of Commerce's Business Breakfast: 7 to 8 a.m. Thursday at Golden Corral, 6855 Gall Blvd., Zephyrhills. Networking from 7 to 7:30 a.m. The cost is $7 for members and includes hot breakfast buffet. (813) 782-1913.
• BNI Eagles: 7:15 a.m. Thursday at Spartan Manor, 6121 Massachusetts Ave., New Port Richey. Cost is $10 and includes breakfast. Call Clay Henderson at (727) 534-5191.
• BNI Referral Connection: 7:15 to 9 a.m. Thursday at Vallarta's Mexican Restaurant, 22948 State Road 54, Lutz. Call Rob Hamilton at (813) 431-5887.
• Trinity/West Pasco Chapter of NPI: 7:45 a.m. Thursday at IHOP, 10740 State Road 54, New Port Richey. Call Rob Marlowe at (727) 847-2424.
• Women Helping Women: 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday at Medical Center of Trinity, 9330 State Road 54, Trinity. Lunch is available for purchase in the hospital cafeteria. To RSVP, call Gigi D. Evans at (727) 945-9669.