Make us your home page

Five tax tips for baby boomers

Baby boomers are well-practiced in filing income tax returns, but their tax dollars can fly out the window if they don't pay attention to some specific rules that apply to retirees and others in their 50s and 60s.

Here are five different tax tips for boomers:

Never assume that your Social Security retirement benefits are tax-free.

All of your Social Security benefits won't be taxed, but depending on how much money you're generating in retirement, it's possible that up to 85 percent of your Social Security benefits could be included in your gross income and be subject to federal income taxes.

How much you pay in taxes will depend on the amount of benefits, other income (including tax-exempt interest from municipal bonds), and your filing status, said Barbara Weltman, author of J.K. Lasser's 1001 Deductions and Tax Breaks 2016.

"If benefits are taxable this year, consider voluntary withholding to cover your projected tax for the future," Weltman said.

See form W-4V for a "voluntary withholding request."

Plan how much money you'd withdraw from a 401(k) in a given year, as well, so you might limit how much money is taxed from Social Security benefits every year while in retirement.

Keep an eye on the extra 3.8 percent tax on investments.

If you're looking at generating cash by selling off investment property, talk to your tax preparer first. Find out the potential impact of what's often called the 3.8 percent Medicare surtax in a given year. The tax can apply to net investment income of individuals, estates and trusts that have income above a set threshold.

What's officially called a net investment income tax went into effect in 2013. See form 8960.

Weltman said individuals need to pay close attention to what triggers the 3.8 percent surtax, particularly if they're selling a business, selling stock or maybe consolidating and selling a vacation home. The threshold amount for married filing jointly is a modified adjusted gross income of $250,000.

Once you hit your 70s, reconsider how you donate to charity.

If you are sitting on a sizable amount of money in your regular IRAs, consider taking your required minimum distribution by having money sent from an IRA to a charity. It's called taking "qualified charitable distributions."

In general, required minimum distributions must be taken each year beginning with the year you turn age 70 1/2.

If you make a direct transfer of money to a charity from an IRA, Weltman said, you're not seeing that distribution boost your adjusted gross income, which influences other tax breaks.

Get an extra break on medical expenses if age 65 or older.

Typically, you can only get a tax break for qualified medical and dental expenses once those expenses exceed 10 percent of your adjusted gross income.

But if you or your spouse is 65 or older, the threshold for medical expenses is 7.5 percent of your adjusted gross income.

If you're in your mid 50s, check into ways to avoid a 10 percent penalty from a 401(k) plan.

Money that you take out of a 401(k) plan can be subject to an additional 10 percent tax for early distributions, if you take that money out before reaching age 591/2.

But there are some exceptions that can help you avoid the 10 percent penalty. The 10 percent additional penalty, for example, does not apply to distributions that are made because you are totally and permanently disabled.

One of these exceptions applies to 401(k) plans, not IRAs.

If you stop working for your employer in the year you reach 55 or later, any distributions paid from your 401(k) to you after you stop working for that employer are automatically exempted from the 10 percent early distribution penalty, notes George W. Smith IV at George W. Smith & Co. in suburban Detroit. But if you rolled over that 401(k) to an IRA, you'd lose that exemption.


When to pay up

Here's a breakdown of when Social Security benefits can be taxed:

• No Social Security benefits are taxed if your income is less than $25,000 for a single return or $32,000 on a joint return. The income calculation here involves adding up your adjusted gross income, plus tax-free interest and half of your Social Security benefits.

• You'd pay tax on up to 50 percent of your benefits if your income ranges from $25,000 to $34,000 if single. If married, the income range is $32,000 and $44,000.

• You'd pay tax on up to 85 percent of your Social Security benefits if your income hits more than $34,000 if single. Married couples with incomes of more than $44,000 pay income tax on up to 85 percent of Social Security benefits.

Five tax tips for baby boomers 04/16/16 [Last modified: Saturday, April 16, 2016 6:32pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

  1. Massachusetts firm buys Tampa's Element apartment tower

    Real Estate

    TAMPA — Downtown Tampa's Element apartment tower sold this week to a Massachusetts-based real estate investment company that plans to upgrade the skyscraper's amenities and operate it long-term as a rental community.

    The Element apartment high-rise at 808 N Franklin St. in downtown Tampa has been sold to a Northland Investment Corp., a Massachusetts-based real estate investment company. JIM DAMASKE  |  Times
  2. New York town approves Legoland proposal


    GOSHEN, N.Y. — New York is one step closer to a Lego dreamland. Goshen, a small town about fifty miles northwest of the Big Apple, has approved the site plan for a $500 million Legoland amusement park.

    A small New York town, Goshen approved the site plan for a $500 million Legoland amusement park. Legoland Florida is in Winter Haven. [Times file  photo]
  3. Jordan Park to get $20 million makeover and new senior housing

    Real Estate


    Times Staff Writer

    ST. PETERSBURG —The St. Petersburg Housing Authority, which bought back the troubled Jordan Park public housing complex this year, plans to spend about $20 million to improve the 237-unit property and construct a new three-story building for …

    Jordan Park, the historic public housing complex, is back in the hands of the St. Petersburg Housing Authority. The agency is working to improve the 237-unit complex. But the latest plan to build a new three-story building for seniors will mean 31 families have to find new homes. [LARA CERRI   |   Tampa Bay Times]
  4. Coming soon at two Tampa Bay area hospitals: a cancer treatment that could replace chemo


    A new cancer treatment that could eventually replace chemotherapy and bone marrow transplants — along with their debilitating side effects — soon will be offered at two of Tampa Bay's top-tier hospitals.

    Dr. Frederick Locke at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa is a principal investigator for an experimental therapy that retrains white blood cells in the body's immune system to fight cancer cells. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved these so-called "CAR-T" treatments for adults this month. In trials, 82 percent of cases responded well to the treatment, and 44 percent are still in remission at least eight months later, Locke said. [CHRIS URSO   |   Times]
  5. Regulator blasts Wells Fargo for deceptive auto insurance program


    Wells Fargo engaged in unfair and deceptive practices, failed to properly manage risks and hasn't set aside enough money to pay back the customers it harmed, according to a confidential report by federal regulators.

    Wells Fargo engaged in unfair and deceptive practices, failed to properly manage risks and hasn't set aside enough money to pay back the customers it harmed, according to a confidential report by federal regulators.
[Photo by Spencer Platt/Getty Images, 2017]