What's in store for Pasco's economy in 2012? Will the housing bust end? Will hiring pick up?
Business leaders will have a chance to hear a forecast from the chief economist at Raymond James, Scott Brown, who will be the featured speaker at the Economic Development Council's annual luncheon during Business Development Week. The event, also sponsored by the West Pasco Chamber of Commerce, features seven days of workshops and seminars aimed at helping local entrepreneurs start businesses or keep existing ones growing. The Tampa Bay Times is among the sponsors for Business Development Week.
Brown, who has often spoken on cable business channels, joined Raymond James Equity Research in July 1995 after two years as an economist in the firm's fixed income research department. He earned his doctorate in economics from the University of California at San Diego, where he studied time series analysis and forecasting under Nobel Laureates Robert F. Engle and Clive W.J. Granger. Brown also holds a master of science degree in statistics from the University of Illinois and a bachelor of arts degree in mathematics from the University of California at Irvine. He serves on the Economic Advisory Committee of the American Bankers Association and is a member of the Bond Market Association's Economic Advisory Committee. He has also served as a member of the Governor's Council of Economic Advisors for the state of Florida.
The luncheon is set for noon to 1:30 on Jan. 27 at Tampa Bay Golf & Country Club in San Antonio. Tickets are $25 and must be reserved by calling toll free 1-888-607-2726.
Here's a schedule of other Business Development Week events:
• Business Expo, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Gulf View Square Mall, 9409 U.S. 19, Port Richey.
• Kickoff Luncheon, featured speaker Jen Holloway of Bright House Networks, 1:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Spartan Manor, 6121 Massachusetts Ave., New Port Richey. Cost: $25 per person. RSVP (727) 842-7651.
• Social Networking to Promote Your Business – Facebook, Twitter, QR Codes and more, featuring Antony Francis and Amber Osborne of Head of Lettuce Media, 6 to 8 p.m. at the New Port Richey Library, 5939 Main St.
The following business seminars at the west campus of Pasco-Hernando Community College, 10230 Ridge Road, New Port Richey, in the conference center:
• Technology in your Business Today, 8 a.m. to 9:30 a.m., featuring Anthony Vannata, T-Cellular/Sprint.
• Maximize your Reach on a Minimal Budget with Today's Technology, 9:45 a.m. to 11:45 a.m.
• Technology of Today and the Future, noon to 1:30 p.m. Cost is $7 per person (includes box lunch). Featuring Antony Francis of Head of Lettuce Media; Anthony Vannata; Ernie Norquist of Bright Houe Networks Business Solutions; and Jill Tarbox of PCS Tampa Bay.
• Hands on Learning with Today's Devices, 2 to 3:30 p.m. with Antony Francis of Head of Lettuce Media.
A session and mixer will follow at Sun Toyota, 3001 U.S. 19 Holiday:
• Career Academies and Business Partnerships in Pasco County, 3:30 to 5 p.m. Sun Toyota's upstairs training room, with Rob Aguis, John Hagen and Jerome Salatino.
• Mixer, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., with ideas on how businesses can go green. Light hors d'oeuvres and drinks.
SCORE WORKSHOPS at Marchman Technical Center, 7825 Campus Drive, New Port Richey:
• Starting a Home Business 101, 8:30 to 10 a.m.
• Starting a Home Business 102, 10:15 to 11:45 a.m.
• Luncheon with the New Port Richey Rotary Club, noon to 1:30 p.m. Cost $13 per person. Featuring Ryan Benjamin, a free agent who won a Super Bowl ring as a member of the 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
• Intro to Quickbooks, 1:45 to 3:15 p.m.
• Advanced Record-Keeping & Quickbooks, 3:30 to 5:00 p.m.
• Business Card Exchange/Mixer & Business to Business Expo, 5 to 8 p.m. at the Fox Hollow Golf Club, 10050 Robert Trent Jones Parkway, Trinity.
• Success Stories Breakfast with Seven Springs Rotary Club, 7:30 to 9 a.m. at the Seven Springs Golf and Country Club, 3535 Trophy Blvd., New Port Richey. Cost $8 per person. Featuring Woody Tucker of Woody Tucker Plumbing & A/C; Evie Parks of HPH Hospice; and Merl Faupel of Faupel Funeral Home.
The following business seminars will be held at the west campus of Pasco-Hernando Community College, 10230 Ridge Road, New Port Richey, in the conference center:
• Handling Business Challenges, 10 to 11:30 a.m. Featuring Joanne Whittlesey.
• Successful Women in Business Panel, noon to 1:30 p.m. Cost $7 per person. Featuring Cindy Rose of All Children's Hospital; Leigh Massengill, CEO, Medical Center of Trinity; and Janet Woods of the Times Publishing Company.
• Tips to successful grant writing, 1:45 to 3:15 p.m. Featuring Barbara Sweinberg.
• Using the media to market your business for free, 3:30 to 5 p.m. Featuring Luby Sidoff from the advertising department of the Tampa Bay Times; Steve Schurdell from True Oldies 106.3; and Antony Francis from Head of Lettuce Media.
• Tapping into the Baby Boomer Workforce, 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
SCORE workshops at the Hyundai dealership in Wesley Chapel, 27000 Wesley Chapel Blvd. (State Road 54 west of Interstate 75):
• How to Successfully Obtain a Business Loan, 8 to 9 a.m.
• How to Really Start Your Own Business, 9:15 to 10:30 a.m.
• Marketing Your Business for Success, 10:45 a.m. to noon
For information visit west pasco.com/bdw.php