Make us your home page
Instagram

Timetable set to build luxury townhouses in Safety Harbor

The Harbor Key Townhomes, planned for Main Street and Oak Avenue in Safety Harbor, carry price tags of $500,000 each. Originally approved in 2006, no construction date has been set.

KENT RUNNELLS | Special to the Times

The Harbor Key Townhomes, planned for Main Street and Oak Avenue in Safety Harbor, carry price tags of $500,000 each. Originally approved in 2006, no construction date has been set.

SAFETY HARBOR — Will the economy improve enough within the next 30 months for people to snap up $500,000 townhouses on a plot of land near McMullen-Booth Road where transients now live?

Kent Runnells hopes so.

In 2005, the developer and former mayor invested $1.6 million in 2.6 acres at the northwest corner of Oak Avenue and Main Street with the intention of building a luxury gated community called Harbor Key Townhomes. The property includes two houses as well as the Wood Haven Motel and apartments where one can rent a room for $100 a week.

All the structures are slated for demolition when a date is set for construction.

The city originally approved Runnells' site plan in 2006, then granted him a one-year extension in 2007. When that lapsed last December, he was forced to submit a new application to the city. Last week, commissioners gave him 21/2 years to start building the first eight units.

He must start building the next 10 dwellings within three years. The entire community must be finished within five years.

Before the first batch of concrete is poured, he says he has to sell at least eight of the units.

As a developer and real estate lawyer, he knows it won't be easy in this economic climate.

"Of course we're worried,'' Runnells said. "We're developers.''

Designed by architect Yogi Schlereth of Clearwater, each two-story, 2,650-square-foot townhouse will have four bedrooms, three-and-a-half baths and a two-car garage.

The airy, Key West-inspired design features metal roofs, wide balconies, open living spaces, lofts and cupolas that allow natural light to shine in.

The community would sit nearly 50 feet above sea level, and the traffic noise from nearby McMullen-Booth Road would be buffered by 150 feet of tree-filled land.

Harry Caldwell, president of the neighboring Los Prados Condo Association, supports the plan, saying it would "increase our property values'' and make for a more scenic gateway to the city.

Eileen Schulte can be reached at schulte@sptimes.com or (727) 445-4153.

Timetable set to build luxury townhouses in Safety Harbor 03/09/09 [Last modified: Monday, March 9, 2009 11:39pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. U.S. Rep. Charlie Crist and estranged wife Carole put Beach Drive condo on the market

    Real Estate

    ST. PETERSBURG — U.S. Rep. Charlie Crist and his estranged wife, Carole, have put their Beach Drive condo on the market for $1.5 million.

    U.S. Rep. Charlie Crist and his estranged wife, Carole, have put their Beach Drive condo in Parkshore Plaza on the market for $1.5 million. {Courtesy of Amy Lamb/Native House Photography]
  2. Trigaux: Task now is for Water Street Tampa to build an identity

    Business

    Adios, VinikVille! Hello Water Street Tampa.

    An aerial rendering of the $3 billion redevelopment project that Jeff Vinik and Strategic Property Partners plan on 50-plus acres around Amalie Arena.
[Rendering courtesy of Strategic Property Partners]
  3. Unlicensed contractor accused of faking death triggers policy change at Pinellas construction licensing board

    Local Government

    The unlicensed contractor accused of faking his death to avoid angry homeowners has triggered an immediate change in policy at the Pinellas County Construction Licensing Board.

    Last year Glenn and Judith Holland said they paid a contractor thousands of dollars to renovate their future retirement home in Seminole. But when they tried to move in on Dec. 14, they said the home was in shambles and uninhabitable. They sent a text message to contractor Marc Anthony Perez at 12:36 p.m. looking for answers. Fourteen minutes later, they got back this text: "This is Marc's daughter, dad passed away on the 7th of December in a car accident. Sorry." Turns out Perez was still alive. Now the Hollands are suing him in Pinellas-Pasco circuit court. [LARA CERRI   |   Times]
  4. SeaWorld shares drop Monday to 2017 low after disclosure of federal subpoena

    Tourism

    The Orlando parent company of SeaWorld and Busch Gardens theme parks saw its stock drop 3.5 percent Monday to $15.10, its lowest price of this year.

    Killer whales perform at Shamu Stadium at SeaWorld in Orlando in 2011, before public pressure was placed on the theme park company to curtail its orca shows.SeaWorld has since announced an end to the traditional killer whale entertainment  at its theme parks. [AP Photo/Phelan M. Ebenhack]
  5. Rick Scott appoints longtime ally Jimmy Patronis as Florida CFO

    State Roundup
    Rick Scott appoints Jimmy Patronis (background) as CFO. [STEVE BOUSQUET | Tampa Bay Times]