The city of Zephyrhills was recently recognized by three professional organizations for Sustainable Zephyrhills, a community action plan developed with the assistance of Vrana Consulting.
On March 25, the Tampa Bay Regional Planning Council announced that Sustainable Zephyrhills received an award of merit/honorable mention in the Going Green award category at its Future of the Region Awards annual luncheon.
The Florida Section of the West Coast Branch of the American Public Works Association selected the action plan for its Environmental Project of the Year award, March 13. The plan also received a Best Practices Award of Merit last September from the Florida American Planning Association.
The plan's primary aim is to reduce groundwater use, reduce community-wide fossil fuel consumption and greenhouse gas emissions, reduce solid waste, create awareness of the benefits of buying "green" and buying local, and foster a better quality of life through livable, resource-efficient neighborhoods and employment centers bringing value generation after generation.
For information, visit ci.zephyrhills.fl.us and click on Sustainability Initiatives, or call (813) 780-0006.
SMALL BUSINESS SEMINARS: SCORE Chapter 439 is presenting a series of free seminars. To register and for additional information, visit score439.org and click on the Local Workshops tab, or call the SCORE office at (727) 842-4638.
• Tips for Successful Grant Writing, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Crescent Community Clinic, 5244 Commercial Way, Spring Hill.
• Using the Internet in Your Business, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Regency Park Library, 9701 Little Road, New Port Richey.
• How to Really Start Your Own Business, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. April 30, Land O'Lakes Branch Library, 2818 Collier Parkway.
• E-Marketing Concepts, 5:15 to 7:30 p.m. May 8, New Port Richey Library, 5939 Main St.
• Introduction to QuickBooks, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. May 8, Hugh Embry Branch Library, 14215 Fourth St., Dade City.
• Marketing to Grow Your Business, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. May 9, Regency Park Branch Library, 5701 Little Road, New Port Richey.
• How to Really Start Your Own Business, 5:45 to 7:30 p.m. May 14, Centennial Park Branch Library, 5730 Moog Road, Holiday.
• Using the Internet in Your Business, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. May 14, Hudson Regional Library, 8012 Library Road.
• How to Apply for a Business Loan, 5:45 to 7:30 p.m. May 14, Land O'Lakes Branch Library, 2818 Collier Parkway.
• Building the Plan for a Successful Business, 5 to 7 p.m. May 21, Spring Hill Branch Library, 9220 Spring Hill Drive.
• Introduction to QuickBooks, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. May 22, Hudson Regional Library, 8012 Library Road.
• How to Really Start Your Own Business, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. May 30, New River Branch Library, 34043 State Road 54, Wesley Chapel.
Nominations for Industry of the Year are being accepted by the Pasco Economic Development Council. Each year, the Pasco EDC evaluates top companies in Pasco County for their technology, innovation, job creation, growth and capital investment in the area. They also measure companies' involvement in community activities.
Nominees should be for-profit service, manufacturing or technology industries operating in Pasco County (municipalities or affiliates are excluded). The awards will be separated into divisions based on number of employees, and winners from the past five years are not eligible.
Visit www.pascoedc.com for information.
Leadership Pasco, a development program that explores issues through a series of seminars and hands-on activities, is accepting applications for its Class of 2014.
The program is open to people interested in community involvement and supporting the prosperity of Pasco County. Topics include leadership skills, the history of Pasco County, education, health care and social services, law enforcement and criminal justice, economic and business development, government and infrastructure.
Applications are due by June 1 and may be submitted online at leadershippasco.com.
For an application, send an email request to Bob Memoli at email@example.com.
Free consultations for small businesses and entrepreneurs are available by appointment from 9 to 11 a.m. on the second and fourth Tuesdays of each month in the Greater Zephyrhills Chamber of Commerce conference room at 38550 Fifth Ave., Zephyrhills.
The chamber offers the free and confidential consultations in partnership with the Small Business Development Center at the University of South Florida. For information or to schedule an appointment, call toll-free 1-888-929-2221.
A Multi-Chamber Open House will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. Tuesday at Florida Hospital Zephyrhills, 7050 Gall Blvd., Zephyrhills. The Greater Zephyrhills, Dade City, Lakeland, Wesley Chapel, Pasco-Hernando Hispanic and Sumter County chambers of commerce will attend. To RSVP, call the Dade City Chamber of Commerce at (352) 567-3769.
If you have business announcements you would like to share, mail the details to Jean Hayes, Business Digest, Pasco Times, 11321 U.S. 19, Port Richey, FL 34668. You may also email items to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax them to (352) 754-6133. Submitted items may be edited for length and clarity. Photos are published as space permits; they will not be returned.