Come on. I dare you to take this quiz of Tampa Bay 2015 business highlights. So much happened this year that only the most devoted news hound could possibly score 100 percent — without Googling for answers on the sly.
So make my day. Take the quiz. Most of you will learn something along the way. I did. Answers are at the end.
• • •
1. Tampa Bay added 40,500 jobs between November 2014 and last month, more than any other Florida metro area. What metro did it overtake?
2. This monopoly utility managed to charge more for its product than its major peers in Florida yet its stock price still fell 20 percent this year, a startling loss in market value so far in 2015 of $10 billion:
a) Florida Power & Light
b) Duke Energy
c) TECO Energy
3. One airline controls a 95 percent share of a growing market at St. Pete-Clearwater International Airport:
4. Bill Cronin was recently named to head this area economic development group:
a) Tampa Hillsborough Economic Development Corp.
b) Pasco Economic Development Council
c) Tampa Bay Partnership
5. Appointed to the Hillsborough County Aviation Authority by Gov. Rick Scott, conservative businessman and activist Sam Rashid resigned his post after causing an uproar for using social media to call area public relations specialist Beth Leytham a "taxpayer subsidized …"
b) Bucs fan
6. Port Tampa Bay's announced its 45-acre, $1.7 billion waterfront development and comes with proposed 75-story twin residential towers that Miami architect Luis Ajamil originally wanted to be:
a) 100 stories
b) 150 stories
c) 200 stories
7. With Tampa Bay's average gas price now under $2 a gallon, the U.S. Energy Information Administration estimates the average U.S. household in 2015 will save this much in driving-related costs:
8. Based on proxy filings thus far, these CEOs of area public companies saw their 2015 compensation or cash bonus soar by at least $4 million:
a) Paul Reilly of Raymond James Financial and Chuck Sykes of Sykes Enterprises
b) Mindy Grossman of HSN and Liz Smith of Bloomin' Brands
c) Mark Mondello of Jabil and Paresh Patel of HCI Group
9. In a coup for Tampa International Airport, Lufthansa began direct flights this fall to TIA from Frankfurt. On the inaugural flight, attendants mistakenly welcomed passengers for the first time to what city instead of Tampa?
10. Two Tampa Bay area cities, eager to pursue their own corporate job recruiting, announced plans in 2015 to create their own Economic Development Corporations or EDCs. They are:
a) Plant City and St. Petersburg
b) Temple Terrace and Clearwater
c) St. Petersburg and Clearwater
11. Tampa Bay Lightning owner Jeff Vinik added respected "new urbanism" planner Jeff Speck to his real estate team developing 40 acres around Tampa's Amalie Arena. Speck is the author of the influential book:
a) Walkable City: How Downtown Can Save America, One Step at a Time
b) A 21st Century Urban Planner's Guide to 'Live-Work-Play' Places That Matter
c) So Long, Suburbs: Hello, Downtown
12. They may appeal to very different consumers, but each of these store openings in 2015 represent retail blockbusters for this metro area.
a) Cabela's in Wesley Chapel and Saks in St. Petersburg
b) Bass Pro Shops in Brandon and RH in Tampa
c) Dollar Store in Lutz and Bergdorf Goodman in Tampa
13. One of Tampa's oldest companies, TECO Energy, is being acquired by the Canadian power company:
14. Verizon early this year said it was bailing out of the pay-TV/Internet business in Tampa Bay and sold its FiOS services to:
b) Charter Communications
c) Frontier Communications
15. Pinellas County's tourism agency in the winter of 2015 placed actual snowmen on the corners of frigid streets in New York and Chicago, urging young adults to head south and to learn more at this website:
16. The 37th largest corporation on the 2015 Fortune 500 ranking said this past summer it will open its "North American shared services center" in Hillsborough County with 500 jobs averaging $75,000. That company is:
a) Bristol-Myers Squibb
b) Ashley Furniture
c) Johnson & Johnson
17. This fall, who chose Tampa Bay to be among the early wave of U.S. cities to be considered for ultra-high-speed Internet service?
a) Bright House Networks
b) Google Fiber
c) AT&T U-Verse
18. Because of a 2015 recession in one case and a severe economic downturn in another, two countries that are big tourism sources for Florida will likely send far fewer visitors in 2016. They are:
a) Canada and Brazil
b) Brazil and Germany
c) Canada and China
• • •
ANSWERS: 1. a; 2. b; 3. a; 4. b; 5. c; 6. a; 7. b; 8. c; 9. b; 10. a; 11. a; 12. b; 13. c; 14. c; 15. c; 16. c; 17. b; 18. a
• • •
Did you really get them all right without help? Let me hear from you. Contact Robert Trigaux at email@example.com. Follow @venturetampabay.