Make us your home page
Jobs | Unemployment benefits

Unemployment benefits are fully taxable

The unemployed have to pay full taxes on their unemployment benefits in 2010, unlike 2009 when the first $2,400 was tax-free. • Those individuals who did not withhold taxes on unemployment benefits are sometimes surprised with an extra $10,000 in income to report in April of the next year, said Annabelle Rodriguez, a tax adviser for H&R Block.

Unemployed taxpayers can elect to have 10 percent of their unemployment payment withheld from each check by filing Form W-4V: Voluntary Withholding Request. Unemployed workers who have been paid unemployment compensation in 2010 should receive Form 1099-G showing the amount.

Lynn Brewer, principal of the tax firm Friedman Cohen Taubman in Plantation, said people who receive unemployment benefits often have different types of income to report. They may have severance or unused vacation pay from their previous employers, unemployment benefits and self-employment income for freelance or odd jobs during the year.

Consider your spouse's income when deciding whether to withhold taxes from your unemployment payments. An unemployed person who is married and filing income taxes jointly might be best to withhold taxes to avoid surprises, Brewer said. But for a single person with only unemployment benefits as income, any tax owed could get canceled out in a lower tax bracket.

The Earned Income Tax Credit is another way for those who are unemployed to reduce their tax bill. To qualify, the taxpayer must have earned less than $13,460 as a single filer with no children. This caps at $48,362 in income for married couples filing jointly with three or more qualifying children, according to H&R Block.

Deductions from a job search are available only to those seeking a new job in their current occupation or industry. People must itemize their deductions, which must exceed 2 percent of their adjusted gross income, Rodriguez said.

Job search tax deductions can include long-distance phone calls, vehicle mileage for interviews, professional placement service fees, printing and mailing resumes, and unreimbursed travel for interviews. So keep a record of your expenses.

Unemployment benefits are fully taxable 04/08/11 [Last modified: Friday, April 8, 2011 4:30am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

Copyright: For copyright information, please check with the distributor of this item, South Florida Sun Sentinel.

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

  1. Rick Scott appoints 'my friend,' Jimmy Patronis, as Florida CFO

    State Roundup

    TALLAHASSEE — Gov. Rick Scott on Monday appointed a long-time friend and political supporter, Jimmy Patronis, to replace Jeff Atwater as Florida's next chief financial officer, making him one of three members of the Cabinet that sets state policy on a wide range of issues. He'll take over Friday.

    Rick Scott appoints Jimmy Patronis (background) as CFO. [STEVE BOUSQUET | Tampa Bay Times]
  2. Local gas prices plummet as Fourth of July holiday travel approaches


    TAMPA — Local gas prices are enjoying an unseasonal dip around the $2 mark just in time for the hectic Fourth of July holiday travel weekend.

    The price of regular unleaded gasoline has dropped to $1.99 at a Rally station on Pasadena Ave. South and Gulfport Boulevard South, South Pasadena.
[SCOTT KEELER   |   Times]

  3. Air bag recalls, lawsuits lead Takata to file for bankruptcy


    Shattered by recall costs and lawsuits, Japanese air bag maker Takata Corp. filed Monday for bankruptcy protection in Tokyo and the U.S., saying it was the only way it could keep on supplying replacements for faulty air bag inflators linked to the deaths of at least 16 people.

    Japanese air bag maker Takata Corp. CEO Shigehisa Takada bows during a press conference in Tokyo on Monday. Takata has filed for bankruptcy protection in Tokyo and the U.S., overwhelmed by lawsuits and recall costs related to its production of defective air bag inflators.
[(AP Photo/Shizuo Kambayashi]
  4. Airbag maker Takata bankruptcy filing expected in Japan, U.S.


    DETROIT — Japanese airbag maker Takata Corp. has filed for bankruptcy protection in Tokyo and the U.S., overwhelmed by lawsuits and recall costs related to its production of faulty air bag inflators.

  5. Federal agencies demand records from SeaWorld theme park


    ORLANDO — Two federal agencies are reportedly demanding financial records from SeaWorld.

    Killer whales Ikaika and Corky participate in behaviors commonly done in the wild during SeaWorld's Killer Whale educational presentation in this photo from Jan. 9. SeaWorld has been subpoenaed by two federal agencies for comments that executives and the company made in August 2014 about the impact from the "Blackfish" documentary. 
[Nelvin C. Cepeda/San Diego Union-Tribune/TNS]