Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Carlos Beruff fends off lawsuit amid campaign against Marco Rubio

Less than three weeks before the deciding moment of his fledgling political career, Republican Carlos Beruff is being drawn into a new lawsuit that alleges his home construction company pocketed thousands of dollars of deposits and violated federal housing regulations.

Beruff said the disgruntled customer who filed the suit knows he's in the homestretch of a campaign.

"It's all garbage," Beruff said. "Give me a break. This guy figures I am running for the United States Senate."

On Tuesday, Sarasota resident Conrad Zarris had his attorney file a lawsuit in the 12th Judicial Circuit in Manatee County. It says that Beruff's company, Medallion Homes Gulf Coast, refused to refund a $42,590 deposit he put down on a home he ultimately did not buy — a contract violation.

The lawsuit also says Medallion forced Zarris to use a specific title insurance company last year that is also owned partly by Beruff. That relationship was never disclosed, the suit charges. If true, that would violate federal rules that require home sellers to disclose their business interests when they refer a customer to a lending company or title company that is affiliated with them.

Peter Logan, president of Medallion, said that if Zarris couldn't get the financing for the home, he would have gotten the deposit back. He lost the deposit because Zarris, a real estate sales professional, failed to close on the property within 60 days even though he had been approved for financing, Logan said.

Zarris entered into a contract with Medallion on Oct. 26 for the home. On Jan. 22, Medallion sent Zarris notice that because he hadn't closed, the company would keep his deposit.

Logan said the relationship between Medallion and the title company was fully disclosed, in writing, and there are signed documents to prove it. He said Zarris was never required to use Sun Coast Title Co.

Beruff said in a separate interview that everything Medallion does is properly disclosed.

"We have forms for everything," Beruff said. "I'm 58 years old. I've been around this game for a long time."

But Dan McKillop, the Sarasota lawyer representing Zarris, said there was no disclosure "at the time of the referral" to Sun Coast — a key point he said the case will show.

He also disputed Beruff's claim that the lawsuit was filed because of his campaign for the U.S. Senate. On Aug. 30, Beruff is challenging U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio for the Republican nomination.

"There is no political motivation," said McKillop, who noted he is a Republican.

Zarris, a registered Republican in Sarasota County, referred all questions about the case to McKillop.

McKillop said when he made his initial inquiries into Zarris' case, he did not know Beruff was even running for office.

Times staff writer Steve Contorno contributed to this report. Contact Jeremy Wallace at [email protected] or (850) 224-7263. Follow @jeremyswallace.

Carlos Beruff fends off lawsuit amid campaign against Marco Rubio 08/12/16 [Last modified: Friday, August 12, 2016 9:28pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Fox renewed O'Reilly contract despite knowing of allegations

    Nation

    NEW YORK (AP) — The Fox News Channel says the company knew a news analyst planned to file a sexual harassment lawsuit against Bill O'Reilly when it renewed the popular personality's contract in February.

    Fox News commentator Bill O'Reilly appears on the Fox News show, "The O'Reilly Factor," in New York. O'Reilly has lost his job at Fox News Channel in April following reports that several women had been paid millions of dollars to keep quiet about harassment allegations. [Associated Press file]
  2. Conviction overturned 30 years later in neo-Nazi murder case

    Criminal

    TAMPA — A judge on Friday overturned the murder conviction of Dean McKee now that new evidence has raised doubt about McKee's guilt in a Tampa slaying that occurred nearly three decades ago when he was 16.

    In 1987, a St. Petersburg Times reporter interviewed Dean McKee for a story about young skinheads in Tampa. [Times | 1987]
  3. Experts have some theories on who's carrying out Seminole Heights killings

    Crime

    The words serial killer tend to conjure an image of a middle-aged white man, likely a loner. He stabs or chokes or strangles, murdering up close for the thrill, straight out of central casting.

    A memorial was set up where Anthony Naiboa, 20, was found shot to death in Seminole Heights. Some experts who have reviewed information in the case say that whoever is behind the three Seminole Heights killings may live in the area. [JONATHAN CAPRIEL  |  Times]
  4. Late fumble, field goal send Florida State to another loss

    College

    TALLAHASSEE — Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher didn't have an explanation for the turning point in Saturday's 31-28 last-second loss to Louisville.

    Louisville's Lamar Jackson gets past Florida State's Matthew Thomas to score in the first quarter of an NCAA college football game, Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, in Tallahassee Fla. (AP Photo/Steve Cannon) FLSC102
  5. Funeral starts for soldier at center of Trump fight

    Military

    COOPER CITY, Fla. (AP) — Mourners remembered not only a U.S. soldier whose combat death in Africa led to a political fight between President Donald Trump and a Florida congresswoman but his three comrades who died with him.

    The casket of Sgt. La David T. Johnson of Miami Gardens, who was killed in an ambush in Niger. is wheeled out after a viewing at the Christ The Rock Church, Friday, Oct. 20, 2017  in Cooper City, Fla. (Pedro Portal/Miami Herald via AP) FLMIH102