Sept. 5: Labor Day, no school.
Sept. 16: Progress reports.
The Center for the Arts at River Ridge, 11646 Town Center Road, New Port Richey. (727) 774-7382.
Tickets are on sale for the center's Learn it Live Educational Series. Coming shows include:
• The Florida Orchestra Children's Concert, featuring the Mother Goose Suite by Maurice Ravel and Peter & the Wolf by Sergei Prokofiev, at 10:30 a.m. Oct 11. The orchestra will also present a concert and workshop for advanced students at noon Oct. 11. Tickets for the children's concert are $7; advanced concert workshop tickets are $9.
• ArcAttack, 10:30 a.m. and noon Oct. 12. Part rock concert, part science experiment, the creators of ArcAttack combine a love of music with science as the group invites the audience to explore concepts such as electricity, voltage and current, magnetism, robotics and lightning through an entertaining and interactive show. Grades 6-8. Tickets are $6.
• The Land O'Lakes Branch Library, 2818 Collier Parkway, will host "An Introduction to Tools for Jr. Woodworkers" from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday. Participants will learn about the various woodworking tools in the library foundry. For ages 9 to 15. A signed liability waiver and registration are required. Call (813) 929-1214 to register.
• Thursday is the deadline to register for the SAT to be administered Oct. 1. The late registration deadline (with fees) is Sept. 20. For information, go to collegeboard.org.
• Pasco-Hernando State College will hold College Night over two days for prospective students. The event will be from 6-7:30 p.m. Sept. 13 at the Dade City Campus, 36727 Blanton Road, and from 6-7:30 p.m. Sept. 14 at the New Port Richey campus, 10230 Ridge Road. Representatives from PHSC and many public and private colleges, universities, other educational institutions and the military will participate. There will be information about admissions, financial aid and programs for post-secondary study. High school students, their parents and prospective students of all ages are encouraged to attend. College Night is free and open to the public.
• The Mitchell High School Marching Band and Color Guard will host a Serta Mattress Sale fundraiser from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and from 1 to 6 p.m. Sunday at the school, 2323 Little Road, New Port Richey. Funds raised from the sale of mattresses, sheets and pillows will help purchase new instruments and music for the school.
• The newly renovated Bayonet Point STEM Middle Magnet School will host school tours from 6-7:30 p.m. Tuesday at 11125 Little Road, New Port Richey. Staff members will lead tours every 30 minutes. Visitors also will have the option of touring the school on their own.
• Youth Leadership Pasco is now accepting applications for the Class of 2017. Current sophomore and junior students who are interested in exploring a greater understanding of contemporary issues through interaction and problem solving with peers and community leaders are encouraged to apply. The class meets monthly from October through March, with sessions and tours at various locations throughout Pasco and surrounding counties. Applications are available online at leadershippasco.com and are due no later than Thursday. Send applications to Doreen Packard, West Pasco Government Center, 8731 Citizens Drive, Suite 340, New Port Richey, FL 34654. For information, call (727) 534-4280 or visit leadershippasco.com.
• Students in kindergarten through Grade 12 are welcome to enter the Trinity Medical Center's fifth annual Expressions of Thanks youth art contest to celebrate the service of all military veterans and those who currently serve. Submissions of artwork, poetry and essays will be accepted from Thursday until Sept. 30.
Rules are as follows: Artwork must fit on an 8½-by-11-inch sheet of white paper and must be original and hand-drawn or written. Students are allowed to use color with paint, pens, pencils, crayons and markers. Artwork should depict the student's idea of saying "Thank you to veterans and members of the military." No digital art, Internet art, clip art or cutouts will be judged. Artwork must have the student's name, grade and the name of the school printed clearly on the back. Submit in person from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. at Medical Center of Trinity's information desk, or by mail: Medical Center of Trinity, 9330 State Road 54, Trinity, FL 34655. Participants and their families are invited to a reception from 1-3 p.m. Nov. 6, when certificates and prizes will be awarded and artwork will be on display. All art entries will be on display from Nov. 6 to 27.
Send your school news to email@example.com